What's new

Additional AC circuit questions (1 Viewer)

Marty Garner

Auditioning
Hi, I wanted to see if anyone had thoughts on additional AC wiring.

I currently have one dedicated 15 amp circuit that is powering my home theater system. My system currently consists of a 7.1 setup with a receiver, an additional amp, a 42" widescreen tv and the usual assortment of other equipment.

I'm planning on adding either a dlp or lcd projector(to replace the widescreen tv), for which I'll need an outlet in the ceiling. I would possibly like to add some additional lighting and maybe some more equipment down the road.

So, my question to any and all is, what are the recommendations from HT folks like ourselves?

I was planning on having a new 15amp circuit added for the outlet in the ceiling as well as some additional plugs so I can balance the load between the two circuits. Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading the long question.
Marty

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hi Marty,

First, welcome to the Forum!

“Load balancing” is not necessary. You’ve done the right thing keeping all your gear on a dedicated circuit – you don’t want to change that. If you don’t think your current circuit is sufficient to also carry the projector, than run a new circuit for it, connected at the service panel to the same phase as the existing circuit.

Whatever you do, don’t add extra outlets for non-HT use to either circuit. If you need other outlets, run another circuit for them. If your lighting circuit is going to include the use of dimmers, make sure that circuit is on the opposite phase[b/] from the HT equipment.

You might want to do a search on “dedicated circuit.” You’ll turn up enough reading to keep you busy for days. :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I ran two dedicated 20amp lines to my HT. One line feeds all the gear, including the FP. The other is for lighting, air-conditioning and misc electrical.

You can add the FP to your existing dedicated line by just splitting off your existing line and add a second for all lighting and such.

Peace Out~:D

Brooks

Grip
One quick note.

Don't make the mistake of using a larger breaker (like 20 A) on the existing circuit unless you are sure that all the wire is 12ga or larger and all the outlets are 20A capable - they will have the horizontal cut in one of the recesses for the powered legs of the plugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks