What's new

Adding a SVS 16-46pc+. Possible problem? (1 Viewer)

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
As my home theater finally finishes near completion; after entering the hobby 10 years ago and just daydreaming about the day of having quality equipment and a nice room for it, I'm thinking of adding my second SVS sub to fill out my room, which is 12ft by 35.

Anyhoo...I have one of the "old" 16-46pc's. My order number is something like #324. When SVS came out with the upgrade driver, I popped that in a made a killer sub, more killer.

So, I'm going to add a second sub. Thing is, I want one of the newer Plus series. Of course I'm going to get another 16-46 but, since it (Plus) supposedly has a much better driver, even than the upgraded one in my original 16-46, and the fact that it has quite a bit more power with the Bash amp, I was wondering if you "sub humans" thought that there would be too great a difference in mixing these 2 subs?

I realize that sub soundwaves are non directional. Considering that I, personally, can't see where the difference between an original SVSpc16-46 and a newer SVSpcplus16-46 could be that great. Not like mixing different mains, ect.

Just thought I'd get some opinions before I possibly purchase another SVS.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Derrik,

Really it's no more complicated than calibrating the Plus roughly 6dB higher than your old PC (so that means you calibrate one, switch it off, then calibrate the other, then switch them both on and set the overall level to taste). They'll have very very similar response curves, but the PC-Plus will run much stronger of course.

This will allow both to run roughly to their limits at about the same time. Put them together for the easiest tweaking, or apart with only a bit more care to the phase knob (so they work together, not against each other in your room).

Ron

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Derrik;

I remember asking Tom and Ron something similar not too long ago. :)

Here's the short version of that story. I'm moving my system into a larger room and I wanted to still be able to fill the room with deep, pounding bass. Like you, I owned an original 16-46PC sub with the driver upgrade. I figured I could take two courses of action. I could either (1) get a second PCi sub or (2) get a PC+ model and sell my old sub. Ron convinced me to go for option two and I'm glad I did. You really don't have any idea how much more power the PC+ models possess until you hear them for yourself.

Since it sounds like you're going to go for the PC+ anyway, I suggest you at least try it out alone in your new room and see if it satisfies your needs. If not, keep the old sub and continue using it. If it is enough, sell it so that some other lucky chap can have one.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Thanks for the help guys! I didn't even consider the possible phase problem. The subs are going to have to be about 10 feet apart, in the front corners next to the left/right mains.

...I've never adjusted for phase. There wouldn't happen to be a test on the Avia disc, would there? I don't believe I ever saw one on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks