1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

adding a pc to home theater system

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by kbond29, Oct 16, 2010.

1. kbond29

kbond29 New Member

I would like to connect a desktop PC to my home theater system to be able to view webcast video on my projector.

I have an avialable DVI port on my projector.

Could someone recommend a video card to use with DVI output and

also give me some insight on connecting audio to my 6.1 receiver.

Do I need a special sound card?

thanks!!

2. CB750

CB750 Well-Known Member

Many modern PC Video cards have HDMI outputs which carry both Video and Audio. This would be the best way to make your connection from your PC to your receiver, as both video and sound would be carried.

Although I do not use it my ATI Radeon 4850 which is over a year old has an HDMI output.

3. Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor Well-Known Member

An HDMI signal is easily converted to DVI with an adapter widely available for under $10 or you can get an HDMI to DVI cable (also widely available) but I suggest the adapter just in case you upgrade to an HDMI projector in the future and then all you have to do is remove the adapter -- most modern/current video cards have HDMI out. DVI was simply an early version of digital video.

4. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I would go HDMI to your receiver and then HDMI from your receiver to an HDMI to DVI converter into your projector. That way you can control your audio with your receiver and then continue the video to your projector. As Phil stated this will help future proof yourself for when you get a projector with an HDMI in.