What's new

ADDAMS FAMILY: Volume I (1 Viewer)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I'm not upset at the split season... I'd much rather see a $20 volume (which is what AF V1 is selling for on Amazon right now) sell well than see a $40-50 set of the complete first season not sell well and not get any more DVDs.
Did anyone else catch the new tagline, "Relatively Freaky," below the title on DVD? I kind of like the cover, it's very reminiscent of the covers that HBO comes up with for their shows.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
They split the show to keep the price low to appeal to retailers that only stock low-priced sets. Setting the price higher would mean fewer retailers would pick it up, and possibly fewer sets would be sold. Ever wonder why you can't find a title at a certain chain? They decided not to order it. Not every retailer jumps at the chance to stock an older title, even one as well-known as "The Addams Family."
Gord

Jon Baker

Second Unit
David*P said:
TSoD just posted the big artwork for Vol. 1
htf_imgcache_644.jpeg
I agree, they definitely should've used the original font from the series.
...and where is Grandmama!!!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Jon Baker said:
I agree, they definitely should've used the original font from the series.
...and where is Grandmama!!!
I noticed the same thing, on both counts.
You know, just once I'd like to see a studio do one of these sets right...just once.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gord Lacey said:
They split the show to keep the price low to appeal to retailers that only stock low-priced sets. Setting the price higher would mean fewer retailers would pick it up, and possibly fewer sets would be sold.
Gord
Point well taken. I'm not a fan of volume releases but if it gets them released, that's the main thing. Uh, not "Thing"...we'll watch him "hand" the mail to Morticia soon :eek:

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
nah...its greed.
In the UK they virtually never split a show up-and sales are just fine.
LOST IN SPACE, BSG. THE OUTER LIMITS(1963) to name a few...
greed.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
A LOT of help, please!

I grew up with The Addams, and enjoy the show too this day.

Just, I'm not really into it.

Was the first part of season one good? Great?

I saw where they have two Cousin It stories & two for Lurch.

Was the second season better?

Are these uncut?

What might the PQ be?

I enjoy Wednesday, like Thing, & LOVE Morticia!!!

(and anything & everything with Uncle Fester & Lurch, of coarse)

Since its unlikely I would buy all three sets, would anyone know which of the three sets would highlight my three favorite characters the best?

Thanks.

Man, if the PQ of this set could only match that of the cover!!! :-0

(yeah, the font throws off the entire cover, just not "right")

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
TVShowsonDVD.com just announced there are minor edits to some episodes involving music issues, specifically with Carolyn Jones. One of them is when she sings the song "It's So Nice to Have a Thing Around the House" to the tune of "It's So Nice to Have a Man Around the House". Apparently they couldn't secure the rights to that song so that little bit has been cut:frowning: That really sucks!
But on a good note, AddamsFamily.com posted the details from the official press release! There is audio commentary on a few episodes from Lisa Loring (Wednesday), Ken Weatherwax (Pugsley), Felix Silla (Cousin Itt), director Arthur Hiller and "Addams Family" biographer Steve Cox! That's pretty sweet!
Here is the press release in it's entirety:
CREEPY, KOOKY, MYSTERIOUS AND SPOOKY, THE ALTOGETHER OOKY FAMILY DEBUTS ON DVD
The Addams Family: Volume One
MGM Home Entertainment Dusts The Cobwebs Off A True TV Classic, Exhuming The Complete First Season Of The Hilariously Morbid Sitcom On DVD October 24
LOS ANGELES, Calif. – Blissfully macabre and outrageously morbid, “The Addams Family” turned the sitcom formula upside-down for two hilariously ghoulish seasons. Interred for almost half a century in the mausoleum of television’s golden oldies, the monster comedy series is back, proving that classic humor just won’t stay dead in “The Addams Family” Volume One, exhuming on DVD October 24 from MGM Home Entertainment. Based on Charles Addams’ single panel cartoons that originally ran in The New Yorker magazine, the Addams household featured a grisly array of inhabitants, including dark and dashing Gomez (John Astin, “The Adventures Of Brisco County Jr.”); slinky and shadowy Morticia (Carolyn Jones, How The West Was Won); creepy Uncle Fester (Jackie Coogan, The Kid); problem children Wednesday and Pugsley (Lisa Loring and Ken Weatherwax); ancient Grandmama (Blossom Rock, Abbott And Costello In Hollywood); hilariously hirsute Cousin Itt (Felix Silla, Spaceballs) and, of course, the ever-faithful silent manservant, Lurch, and Thing, the roving severed hand (both played by Ted Cassidy, Butch Cassidy And the Sundance Kid). “The Addams Family” Volume One DVD collection features 22 offbeat episodes, as well as select audio commentary from director Arthur Hiller (Silver Streak), featurettes and a karaoke version of the addictively catchy theme song. “The Addams Family” Volume One is available for the suggested retail price of $29.98 U.S./$37.98 Canada.
“The Addams Family” Volume One DVD Collection Disc Content Specifics::
The “The Addams Family” Volume One DVD Collection is compiled on three dual-layered discs (full frame, aspect ratio 1.33:1), and is presented in English Mono with Spanish subtitles. In addition, the following episodes and special features are exclusive to each disc:
Disc 1 - Side A:
"The Addams Family Goes To School"
"Morticia And The Psychiatrist"
"Fester’s Punctuated Romance"
"Gomez The Politician"
Special Features
Audio commentary for “The Addams Family Goes To School” featuring cast members Lisa Loring, Ken Weatherwax and Felix Silla with “The Addams Chronicles” author Stephen Cox and director Arthur Hiller
Disc 1 - Side B:
"The Addams Family Tree"
"Morticia Joins The Ladies League"
"Halloween With The Addams Family"
"Green Eyed Gomez"
Disc 2 - Side A:
"The New Neighbors Meet The Addams Family"
"Wednesday Leaves Home"
"The Addams Family Meets The VIPs"
"Morticia, The Matchmaker"
Special Features
Audio commentary for “Morticia, The Matchmaker” featuring cast members Lisa Loring, Ken Weatherwax and Felix Silla with “The Addams Chronicles” author Stephen Cox
Disc 2 - Side B:
"Lurch Learns To Dance"
"Art And The Addams Family"
"The Addams Family Meets The Beatnik"
"The Addams Family Meets The Undercover Man"
Disc 3 - Side A:
"Mother Lurch Visits The Addams Family"
"Uncle Fester’s Illness"
"The Addams Family Splurges"
"Cousin Itt Visits The Addams Family"
Special Features
Audio commentary for “Cousin Itt Visits The Addams Family” featuring cast members Lisa Loring, Ken Weatherwax and Felix Silla with “The Addams Chronicles” author Stephen Cox
Disc 3 - Side B:
"The Addams Family Court"
"Amnesia In Addams Family"
Special Features
You Rang, Mr. Addams featurette
Snap, Snap featurette
The Addams Family Portrait featurette including on-camera interviews with John Astin
Theme Song Karaoke
Still galleries featuring original drawings and photos

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
David*P said:
TVShowsonDVD.com just announced there are minor edits to some episodes involving music issues, specifically with Carolyn Jones. One of them is when she sings the song "It's So Nice to Have a Thing Around the House" to the tune of "It's So Nice to Have a Man Around the House". Apparently they couldn't secure the rights to that song so that little bit has been cut:frowning: That really sucks!
I thought it was ok to use several seconds of a song without having to pay for the rights to it...That's what was done on the season 1 Mary Tyler Moore Show Christmas episode. We hear about 2 or 3 seconds of "White Christmas" but not the entire segment as it originally aired...As I recall, Morticia would sing no more than 2 or 3 seconds worth of "It's So Good To Have A Thing Around The House"...So I wonder why such a short segment could not be used on this DVD set, but the short clip on the MTM Show was allowed? Oh well, I'm glad I transferred my old 1st season Addams Family laserdiscs to DVD, at least they weren't cut out there.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
I think they should leave the video intact and just leave out the sound if they're going to do something like that. Then the viewer could sing along to the missing music to 'cover' for it.

Just like the excellent Married With Children replacement theme.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I just got my set tonight and have watched all the special feature featurettes and watched two of the episodes with commentary and must say that I HIGHLY recommend by this set!! The picture quality is fantastic! And the commentaries from Lisa Loring, Ken Weatherwax, Felix Silla and Steve Cox are very informative even if they do not necessarily have to do with the particular episode they are watching. There are a lot of tidbits that are given that really help mold the history of this great TV series.

The menu set ups are awesome and it just seems like a lot of care went into this set with package design and all. I REALLY like that the slip cases have the original airdates printed by the summaries.

Director Arthur Hiller doesn't seem to be on the commentaries which is too bad but four people was enough. And it was good to have Steve Cox there guiding the commentary as he seemed to truly be an advocate for the fans.

Martin_T

Stunt Coordinator
I have fun memories of this show, even though I have not seen an episode in many years. Looks like I will be adding this to my always growing list of things to pick up eventually.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I guess I am late to the party on this one.

I had a copy of this set in my hands today at Best Buy, but when I looked at the back of the box and saw that it only contained 22 episodes and then noticed the vague "Volume One" label one the front, I placed it back on the shelf.

As much as I want to own The Addams Family (to go alongside my Munsters sets,) I will now wait until "Volume Two" gets released. I refuse to commit to a half season of any tv show (especially a vintage b&w series) and then have it abandoned. My TV-on-DVD library is already cluttered with too many incomplete sets.

I can live with a complete single season of a series, but a half season, no way. As always, YMMV.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
I picked this one up today (along with the last MacGyver season... odd combination that...) and checked out the first episode (with the Truant officer). I have to say... this looks _far_ better than I'd expected, and significantly better than I remember when watching it on TV 15-20 years ago. Wow. That's about all I can say.
There should be two more sets to finish the B+W version (hopefully they do the 'new addams family' show too after this), but even if those never get released, this is one I'm quite tickled to have.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
pitchman said:
As much as I want to own The Addams Family (to go alongside my Munsters sets,) I will now wait until "Volume Two" gets released. I refuse to commit to a half season of any tv show (especially a vintage b&w series) and then have it abandoned. My TV-on-DVD library is already cluttered with too many incomplete sets.
I can live with a complete single season of a series, but a half season, no way. As always, YMMV.
Of course then you'll be left with a partial Season Two if they don't release volume 3.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
pitchman said:
As much as I want to own The Addams Family (to go alongside my Munsters sets,) I will now wait until "Volume Two" gets released. I refuse to commit to a half season of any tv show (especially a vintage b&w series) and then have it abandoned.
The problem with that thinking is that you're contributing to a show failing by not purchasing it. If a third of the people thought the way you do then we wouldn't see shows continued because there would be poor sales for the sets.
Gord

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks