What's new

Adcom amps - Bright, neutral or warm (1 Viewer)

grantG

Agent
Any Adcom amp owners out there? I am looking to add an Adcom amp to Marantz 7400 and Swan speakers but do not want to add any "brightness" to the sound.

Would I have any issues with an Adcom??

Thanks.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Adcom has always received favorable reviews. They have achieved "recommended component" awards and have a great rep among owners.
I don't think you'd regret a purchase.
I wouldn't necessarily chose Rotel over them.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I use one for my sub, but for awhile I used it on my front channels. They are well built, robust, and a good value. I'd call them neutral, in general.

DJ

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Older versions GFA-1/555 were not bright, if anything a bit dark. . . later versions 555II were better, cleaner top but still a bit dark on the bottom. Personally I like their sound in particular the 555II.

If you like Pass designs you will like the 555. . .

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Adcom's have MOSFET output devices, which would tend to put them on the warmer side of neutral.

Personally, I actually have a very slightly more favorable view of Adcom vs Rotel. ;) In my experience, Adcoms are more reliable and closer to neutral than Rotels. Both are good amps, but Adcom has a slight edge IMO. But I do prefer Rotel's looks though!

Shiu

Second Unit
I have my GFA-555 for 15 years and it is still in like new condition. This thing seems indestructible, and it certainly sounds neutral to me.

James_Welch

Agent
I have an Adcom GFA 5500 and a Rotel 1075. The Adcom has a much “warmer” sound compared to the Rotel. Of course the 1075 is a low end model and I could not comment if the sound of the 1075 compares to other Rotel amps.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I think the 1075 is the latest version of Rotel's sought after 981. Definatly not low end as far as sound is concerned. In my mind the 981 was and still is the finest sounding 130wpc amp made.

New cost around 600 yet now 5+ years later they are still selling for 350-400 each. I sold the 3 I had a few months ago with all three going for over 400 bucks apiece. . . Tells me something. . . What other 600 dollar amp is still selling for 70% of it's list price 6 years later??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks