What's new

Adam-12 Season Two? (1 Viewer)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Its on double sided discs, yep, the dreaded DVD-18s. My disc 2, i forget what side, wont play all the way through now. But when i first bought it it played. The outer edge of that disc has a purple color now. It didnt have that when i bought it. DVD-18s are the devil :), and i belive the high defect rate of some of those Universal shows are why they had low sales on DVD. I know i had to return more than one Universal show on those discs, cause they wouldnt play all the way, when the disc was new! It only took 2 or 3 years for Adam-12 to start to "rot".

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Doug,

RickER summed it up nicely. I would prefer to own single-sided discs of the entire run.

Incidentally, I watched the second and third episodes of Adam-12 (Season One) last night. They looked fine, but one never knows with those dreaded double-sided discs....

BobSchneider

Second Unit

Yeah I got univerisal adam 12 s1 release on double side disks and there a pain in the arse, would barely play on my old panasonics 27crt build in dvd player (freezes and lots mirco checking) on my toshiba, lots short freezes, but watchable. Luckly Shout! doesnt use double side dvds, so adam 12 s2 should be better and hopeful shout! will re release season 2:emoji_thumbsup:

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Hmmmmmm interesting. I've never had a problem with a double sided DVD, and I have quite a few of the Universal sets. Even my old double sided discs from around 97 are working fine.

Doug

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I love the old Jack Webb shows, and was happy to hear Adam 12 was being resurrected after three years.

But, with Shouth Factory doing the set, I'm a little concerned about the fact we haven't yet heard if this is the complete season 2, or if it's the syndicated season 2.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Shout has done a wonderful job with the first 2 seasons of Ironside...I have to think that this will release will be along the same type of quality.

Really looking forward to this release!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
No kidding. I'm really anticipating it as well. As I mentioned, I watched a couple of Season One episodes the other night. There is just something really entertaining about the show, the main actors, and the surroundings of the time.

Bring on all of the seasons! :emoji_thumbsup:

Barbara.G

Stunt Coordinator
Just in case you don't know yet, adam-12 season two is ready for pre-order. it is four dollars cheeper on dvd pacific than amazon. Just pre-ordered mine.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Thanks for the heads up! I may watch a couple of episodes ("Logs") tonight. :)

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

I just saw Shane's comment and checked out my newly purchased S1 set. The run times of the episodes seem to be around 24:40, with at least one coming in at 24:20 or so. Most uncut/unsped shows from this time period are at least 25:10-25:20. I timed a Columbia House tape version of the premiere episode, and the run time was exactly the same as the DVD version. A season-five ep on the same tape also ran about 24:40.

I think the episodes are compressed a bit, rather than cut. In one of the scenes in the premiere ep, McCord speaks to the dispatcher and Milner speaks to McCord as they are responding to a call. The voices seem entirely too fast in this particular scene.

Universal incorrectly listed the episode titles for the S1 set as simply "Log 1" or whatever the number was, so I hope Shout corrects this. The Columbia House tapes and online episode guides list the titles in full as, for example, "Log 1 - The Impossible Mission." The log number was dropped from the titles after three seasons, it would appear.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
So, we're a week away from this release...anyone else as excited as I am to get the continuing adventures of Maloy and Reed?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Jim,

Most assuredly. It's such a great period piece. If that first season is released again, I'll be double-dipping for that as well.

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Well I recent rewatch the s1 universal release and it loads of fun this is a must buy for me it was one of my favorite shows growing up as kid . I just hope I can find in a retail store next week both seasons of Ironside I had to buy online because no retailer in So Cal was carrying it. Which was a pain in the arse, but hopeful I'll be able to find it (hopeful target or loss leader at worst oops best buy). Yes Im really excited Adam 12 was in my list of top twenty favority shows as a kid ( in no pictural order to name a few... Ironside, Adam 12, Wild Wild West, I Spy, Secret Agent aka Danger Man , The Rifleman, McCloud, Kojak, Kung Fu, Star Trek). Yeah I cant wait and hope I can find it retail for that instant gradification fix of great classic 70's cop drama.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
Now if Shout! can get off it but and release S3 of Ironside That would be even cooler yet

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Here's Paul Mavis' review from DVD Talk:

DVD Talk Review: Adam-12 - Season Two

It sounds like the picture quality is just about on par with the first season set from Universal. The screencaps look good! No specific mention of the episodes' running times other than when talking about the show's plots and when he says that each 25-minute episode doesn't necessarily end with a tidy resolution. The extras sound fairly interesting, although I hope they will involve Milner and McCord in the future in some way. Overall, I can't wait to get this!

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Scott, I took Paul's comments to mean that the work of the uniform patrol officers depicted on "Adam-12" doesn't always end happily, as opposed to incomplete episodes being used for this release. Jack Webb's "Dragnet" also had a number of downbeat endings, in both the 1950s and 1960s versions. But 25-minute running times sound correct for a late 1960s/early 1970s show.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,

Thanks for the link. It's very well written (both with regard to the DVDs and to the show itself). It's quite thought-provoking and insightful. This will be a fun series to watch again.

I had no idea about the episodes having been used as additional training tools for forces worldwide; however, I can attest to that instructional film feel, as I sat through several of those (but in middle school rather than in elementary school).

I loved this line:

"There are critics who despise Webb's restrictive schematic in camera framing and editing patterns, but I find real beauty in them: a clean, concise, classical framework that achieves a rhythmic power in its simplicity and unending uniformity."

I couldn't agree more. I prefer this to the ever-dizzing techniques often employed today, especially those that IMO show the horrid view of movement whizzing around actors in a circle until you feel as though you might vomit. I'm really not that fond of this technique (or for that matter, first-person video) for a variety of reasons.

And this was nice to read:

"Fans of Dragnet who were lamented the missing Universal logo and the distinctive "dum dee dee dum da da dum!" bumper music following Webb's "Mark VII" bumpers, will love that fact that they return here for all the Adam-12 episodes."

:emoji_thumbsup:

I will wait until just after Sept. 30th (I don't really pre-order many things) to bag this set. This series is a must.

I do hope they release the first season again....

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Well from the shouts video samples the adam 12 looks nice and clean with good sound capture and Im glad personal shout! didnt for lack of better term "re colorize " adam 12 to a more modern overly vibrant color pallet. S2 and s3 of wild wild west look almost comic book due to cbs "recolorizing" the dvd sets (thankful they took a milder tack with s4). I had not complants about the universal video/sound captures it was the dumd arse flipper disks that caused most of the issues with the universal release of s1. Honest for me adam 12 s2 was a blind buy unless reviews came in that the video/sound was sup par (ie crime story s2) Shout did a nice job on Ironside s1 and s2 (were the blazes is S3?) so I figure they generate a decent s2 adam 12. But the extras, and excellent rewviews make me want to skip work tuesday and track it down. Hopefully target , best buy or some one will have it so I can get my instant fix of Adam 12

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Bob,

I've decided to give you the day off Tuesday. Enjoy.

;)

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott

Yes, that's how I took it too. I didn't think he meant that incomplete episodes were used but that the stories didn't, like you said, always end happily or weren't always necessarily neatly resolved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks