What's new

Adam-12 Season Two? (1 Viewer)

Barbara.G

Stunt Coordinator
If they are going to get this out____ I hope they get them out BEFORE I die!
That's how impatient I am getting.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I'm as giddy as a school boy! When I heard about the studios shopping their tv show catalogs around, my first thought was "Please let Adam-12 get picked up". Thank you Shout!Factory! I almost bought this through "other means" last night, boy I'm so glad I waited! I can't wait to preorder this. I'm sure Shout!Factory will do a better job than Universal. Now, if only Mary Tyler Moore and Big Valley would get picked up.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Thanks for the link. I own the first season.

Have you (or has anyone else here) had trouble with the discs from season one? I have not (yet); however, since these are flippers, I'm almost certain something will eventually go wrong with them. I'm hoping no one has had any trouble.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Yep, disc 1, side 2 wont play at the layer change now. i forget the episode title. Its the one Reed shots a kid who sniped the cruiser. anyway, it used to play fine, now it doesnt. I see a purple haze at the outer rim as well. damn DVD-18s!

I am in for every season of this show, now that it wont be flippers.

Kylan1935

Auditioning
Real Name
Kylan
YES!!! im sooooo excited! classic tv on dvd is back!!! i think!! its soooooo about time. Ive really lost interest in this site for a long time because there would really be nothing exciting being released. Just new shows and reality weird shows id never heard of... now we're finally getting back to it i think! All I really want left not finished is Adam 12, Dragnet, Mary Tyler Moore and Leave it to Beaver... and while beggars cant be choosers i hope Alfred Hitchcock Presents keeps going! :D

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

I've already done so. Sorry, not that important a show for me to double dip on. That's what happens when they wait four years between sets. You lose customers and I'm sure I'm far from the only sale they've lost.

Duane Alford

Second Unit
Awesome news. I'll be picking this up the day it comes out. Although Dragnet isn't on my listr of shows to buy, if we could get the series I'd consider buying them all. Five more seasons of Adam 12 to go. Now if only there'll be some news on the other 5 shows I want that are stalled and/or abandoned.

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Extremely Cool, finally now if Shout announces s3 of Ironside for a christmas time release or sooner that would be awsome! Wow finally season 2 of Adam 12!

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

I guess I've had relatively good luck with the Uni flippers. I was just watching some episodes from "Dragnet 1967" this past weekend with no problems whatsoever. I've only watched my "Adam-12" set once and had one instance of disc freezing on the next to last episode of disc 2, side 2. But other than that one instance, my "Kojak," "Emergency!," and "Leave it to Beaver" flipper sets have all played fine. I actually had more issues with Fox's "Big Valley" season 2, volume 1 flipper set than any other release to date. But that's just my experience.

To the best of my knowledge, Shout! Factory has never used flippers for any of their releases.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Bob,

Okay, thanks. I forgot about Dragnet 1967--I own that one as well. I've yet to have any problems with either that one or with Adam 12. Let's hope it continues. :)

Ahh, those freezing discs. One day, that problem will (hopefully) be a thing of the past.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gord, Dave

Do you guys know if Shout will have access to Universal's master elements for Adam-12 S2? Will the transfers be the same (or close) quality as if Uni was doing the release?

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

So Shout! Factory gets punished because Universal didn't license it out sooner?

Hank, classic TV is doomed if someone like you won't buy the sets. You already know that classic TV sells poorly, and now that a studio has licensed a show and is willing to put it out for the fans, you won't buy it because you bought a pirated set. A round of applause for Hank - he bitches and moans that companies don't put out classic TV, then he doesn't buy it when then do.

Way to go, you're killing the hobby you claim to have such passion for.

Jeff, Shout! will get the masters from Universal. I have no idea if prints are cleaned up by Universal or Shout! (or at all). I believe Shout! will try to put out the best set they can.

Gord

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

It's an assumption on my part, but I think it likely means that prints will be on a par with "Ironside" or "McHale's Navy," the other two Universal series that Shout! has licensed, probably closer to "Ironside" which ran at about the same time (Ironside - 1967 to 1975; Adam-12 - 1968 to 1975). I'm making the assumption that film elements were stored the same for both series. I haven't seen "McHale's Navy" but have seen "Ironside." The prints are pretty solid for "Ironside" but certainly not at the level of a CBS Paramount release like "Hawaii Five-0," another series from the same era . . . . just my subjective opinion.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

A - I'm not "punishing" anyone. I waiting a good long time before seeking another source. And I didn't buy a pirated set, I traded, something I've been doing since before you were born (or close to it). Which by the way, until a few short years ago when it dawned on the geniuses who run the studios that people might want to own copies of many TV shows, taping and trading was about the only way to get most shows.

B - Shout is pretty much on the bottom of my list as far as independent companies go. They've done a nice job with That Girl and McHale's Navy but Ozzie and Harriet was a disaster, using cut episodes already available elsewhere in complete form. Father Knows Best was a botch job with over half the episodes butchered. And they've abandoned The Bill Cosby Show and possibly Ironside as well. So their track record is rather spotty and that's being kind. Hearing about them releasing a show does not cause me to do backflips for joy. Anything coming from them at this point goes into the "wait and see" category.

C - I may still look to pick up the set IF after reading reviews it's done properly with complete episodes. Mine come in a couple of minutes short due to either timespeeding or cuts, don't know the show well enough to determine which. And this is not a very important show for me. For me, it's a borderline show, something I never went out of my way to acquire at any point. I'd be much happier if they announced a Dragnet or Baretta pickup. I could name at least a couple of dozen Universal series which I would have been more excited to hear about.

Bottom line is this. I've been in the hobby and collected for a long, long time. I buy just about every release that comes out of a 50s and 60s show, most 70s shows and some beyond that. Yet that still makes up a tiny portion of the collection which I've compiled over the years through numerous avenues. The DVD craze has been a great thing for the hobby, no doubt about it. But the percentage of shows made that will ever be on DVD won't even approach 5%. Unlike many people, me and my friends use DVD releases to supplement our collections, not to make up the entirety of it.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
With all due respect Hank, most of us dont know the people you know. We dont have the ability to buy film prints, or trade tapes. In all honesty, i never cared for tape, even back in the day. I was an LD guy. :)
But you gotta admit, when you say you get a title that isnt out on tape, or DVD, people might assume bootleg. Also, just because its low on your list, doesnt mean its low on mine, or someone else's.
Also keep in mind Shout can only release what its given. If they get cut episodes, thats what they put out. They are not the ones doing the cutting.
I respect your knowledge of classic TV, but dont dissmiss something just cause YOU can get it. Be happy for us man! :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks