What's new

Directors Actors who ruin movies (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Do you really think that Stanley Kubrick did not pick Cruise for his acting ability as well as his looks? I at least thought he did a very fine job in Eyes Wide Shut, a movie that was never going to be a big box office draw, no matter who was cast.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Stan Lee (his cameo roles are unnecessary).

Paris Hilton (I cringed when I saw a movie preview of wax museum I think).

Rick Moranis, well in everything...

Rosie O'Donnell except for the cameo in South Park.

Dolph Lundgren (who does he have sex with that lands him his jobs).

I second the cast of "friends"

Jeff Goldblum (another imho talentless individual)

Sinbad (stay on stage, not on the film)

Madonna (just stay away)

Patrick Swayze (what he does shouldn't be called acting)

Drew Barrymore (your childhood fame is over and your adult never developed)

The Rock (your best acting is in the ring)

There are more, many more... this will be an interesting tourney...

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator
Hayden Christensen - He is just really tough to watch.

With Steve Martin and Martin Short being almost as painful.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
Some of the people mentioned above may have been inadequate in one or another role, but most of them are not "horrible." If you want to see truly horrible acting, you should watch some of the movies shown on Mystery Science Theater 3000. If you think fill-in-the-blank is horrible, then you should watch the guy who plays Torgo in Manos: The Hands of Fate. That's a performance that'll seriously scar you!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

That's right Grant. 50 years ago we all went to the polls and voted Liz 'Queen of the Britons'... listen strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Can I add toothy comic Chris Rock to my very short list of "actors I can't stand"? If he does fall into the category of 'actor' that is.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
That's lovely flith you have, Steve!

I remember my good old salad days (wasn't that a film by snif snif Sam snif snif Packenpaw snif snif the American snif ex pat) in Barrow-In -Furness Cumbria (Your West Virginia where inbreeding is the fad)

I 'third' the cast of friends, my wife was watching Joey and I just about puked

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Good point - and now I'm leaning back the other way again.:D

Robert's list is excellent,

I will put a fourth stamp on the cast of Friends...
(Funny that as long a series as this was, there is a real absence of "acting" as compared to other long standing comedy series (Taxi as an example.)

Must have been the writing I guess... who knows, couldn't watch the show.)

Comedians masking as actors... that's almost as bad as athletes or pop stars.

Comedians who recognize their place within the comic genre and understand they are there for entertainment as opposed to acting are acceptable to me. Mike Myers comes to mind - although I'm not a fanboy.

Then again, comedians who aren't funny *cough* Sinbad *cough* should give it up.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Christian Slater -- other than the "I wanna be Jack Nicholson" angle, I just don't get this one

I also have NEVER been impressed with anything I've seen from Tom Cruise.

As for the Keanu nomination...I suggest viewing "River's Edge" and "Permanent Record". (PR, in particular, is NOT a great movie...but it is a decent performance. Imagine a very dark-edged, and fatal, Bill and Ted misadventure.) I would also suggest two TV movies: "Under The Influece" and "Brotherhood Of Justice". And, in hindsight, Keanu himself has gone on record as agreeing with the negative points made about his participation in "Bram Stoker's Dracula".

Sean Penn: try "I Am Sam", "At Close Range", "Bad Boys", and "Mystic River"

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
"I also have NEVER been impressed with anything I've seen from Tom Cruise."

The constant Cruise hate I see escapes me, and this is from someone who actually did detest him in the '80s--and with good reason; what's RISKY BUSINESS, TOP GUN and COCKTAIL gonna do for enhancing respect for you?--but Tom really started to give 110% in the '90s and totally changed my perception of his talents. I mean, my God, he completely held his own in every scene he shared with Jack Nicholson in A FEW GOOD MEN and Jack's the greatest actor ever. And Tom's the only reason to endure INTERVIEW WITH THE WHINY VAMPIRE. Tom is due more props than he often gets, but then again, I'm sure he's not crying on the way to the bank...

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Old thread, but I just found it :)

One that always stands out in my head is Jeff Goldblum. I will only give him credit for THE FLY as his bad acting in that seemed to bring out the Fly part better, but everything else he has been in, arggg

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Fascinating...Jeff Goldblum is one of my all-time favs...I have an affinity for people with unique line readings, and no one delivers a line anywhere close to the way Goldblum does...

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Charlton Heston
Woody Harrelson
Chris Tucker
Seth Green
Seann William Scott
Ashton Kutcher

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks