1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Active speakers - using different amps

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by AlexKunec, Sep 15, 2004.

1. AlexKunec

AlexKunec Stunt Coordinator

Im about to build some active speakers and use a Bryston 4B to power the mids and a adcom to power the tweeter.

Now, on linkwitzlabs.com it says "The amplifiers must have identical voltage gains" (for active crossovers).

I really doubt that they (Bryston and adcom) do have identical voltage gains. Could I use an active circuit to attentuate or amplify either the tweeter or mids so to compensate for them having different gains?

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Screenwriter

Just put input level controls on the power amps or even easier on the active crossovers.

3. Saurav

Saurav Screenwriter

Figure out which driver needs to be attenuated, and then put potentiometers on it. You can leave it that way, or once you've picked a final position for the pot, measure it and then use fixed resistors to build an equivalent voltage divider. That's what I planned to do, but I'm still playing with the relative levels of the drivers trying to see how different settings sound.