What's new

Acoustic Reserach Rock Partners, any info? (1 Viewer)

Andre Barros

Stunt Coordinator
Last night I decided to go through my father's old stereo equipment that is stored in a closet and covered with dust. I know he is a big fan of AR and that became obvious as I opened the boxes. I found 3 pairs of AR speakers. Two of them were pretty old and he told me that they date back to the late 70's. These two pairs are identical (pretty much a standard speaker shape) except for size and woofer size. One pair has 8 inch woofers while the other has a 6 inch. The third pair of speakers is a "triagular" shaped speaker called AR Rock Partners. These are more recent, probably from the early 90's and I remember when he bought them, but I just wasn't into HT and music back than and didn't pay much attention. Does anyone own these same speakers or has any info on them? They look like new and I just feel bad leaving them stored in those boxes for ever. I thought about replacing my two mains (JBL SCS 150 SI) with them but I know about that whole timber matched thing so maybe I should just let it go. Anyway I just want to find some use for them. Thanks in advance for any info.

Best regards,

André

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Andre, I have a pair of Rock Partners! I've had them in my bedroom system for 14 years. They are VERY good speakers. Not the be all, end all, of bookshelf speakers, but the sound quality is very good, especially at the price.

By the way, I bought my pair in 1989, so I would think they made their debut a little earlier than the early 90's.

As far as info is concerned, I bought them used, so I don't have frequency response data, have you tried AR's website? They hit pretty low for a bookshelf, I would imagine into the 40's.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
The Rock Partners were small monitor speakers manufactured
by Teledyne Acoustic Research in the late 80's throught the
90's.

The other speakers I am not sure of. I would need a more
detailed description of what the cabinents look like, what
the finish is.. What the Tweeter, Mid and Woofers look like
(or a picture would be great) either way if they are 1970's
vintage AR don't even think about pitching them because
chances are they will still bring a "decent" price on the
used market. Old AR equipment has a cult following and that
extends into the lower lines like the Rock Partners and the
M1 Holographic Imaging Series.

Andre Barros

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys!

I'll be at my parents over the weekend and I'll take a closer look at those speakers and possibly take some pictures. I'll give you more details later OK Brett? Maybe you can give me some interresting info on them :)

Best regards,

André

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks