What's new

Acoustic Research Component cables? (1 Viewer)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't worry about it unless you've got some phobia where things need to be equal length.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Assuming anyone's interested in my "research"...
My Pioneer 655 has a full set of 5.1 analog outputs, and a further pair of 2-channel outputs. It occurred to me that if the source is 2-channel, theoretically the output at the front-pair of 5.1 outputs, and the 2-channel outputs, should be the same, so I could hook up one pair of interconnects to each, run them to my receiver to any 2 available input slots, and this way could A/B demo the cables quickly without taking time to swap them out. Previously I'd used the 5.1 outputs linked to the 7.1 input of my receiver, but for some reason the volume is lower on 7.1 input mode, so I had to compensate for volume differences, which as Chu Gai pointed out is fraught with difficulties in matching; using other inputs, the volume seems the same, and theoretically there's no reason it shouldn't be, yes?
So, comparing cheapo freebie cables v. Belden 1694a gives much better detail and clearer, crisper treble with the Beldens, but comparing 1694a v. 89259, well, I can't hear any difference at all. Not surprising.
FWIW, and YMMV. :D

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Hey Yee, how're the prices over there? Do you find a lot of interesting stuff that comes in from China that might be considered 'high end' at attractive prices?

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I must confess I haven't looked at any China brands. From what I can tell, prices here generally of HT gear are just a bit cheaper than in the US, after exchange of currency, but not by a whole lot. This applies to hardware, software, ie. DVDs, is more expensive, and it is almost always cheaper to buy online, even with overseas shipping.

Perhaps the only China-product anecdote I can think of is that the retailer I go to regularly says he was offered a distributorship of Swan speakers. I know these are "fighting words" to a lot of HTFers, but let's just say he wasn't impressed by the speakers (and consequently wasn't interested in carrying them at his shop).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks