What's new

Acoustic Research Component cables? (1 Viewer)

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
If interested in up-grading they may do a trade in deal. Havnt asked but they have been very accomodating to my special requests in the past.
Thanks I may consider it, but even if they would let me trade up, what a pain in the arse to send my cables back

& wait for new ones.

Also added cost factor comes into play with shipping & such.

Then again I am happy with the way the standard cables perform with my DVD player & receiver out.

I don't have a HD receiver yet, but will add the Dish HD 6000 or equivalent at some point that's where the real test will be I think.

Thanks again for the suggestion Mark.

Todd

Arron H

Second Unit
I am new to this and so, any help would be appreciated. I am looking for an inexpensive comp cable. My equipment is a Panasonic CT32HX41 TV & Toshiba SD-5700 DVD player. Here are my needs at this point:

1. I want to take advantage of the progressive scan feature of my DVD player.

2. I do not have an STB yet but will probably add one in about a year. As a result, for the first year the cable would be for DVD viewing only.

It sounds like the AR master series might be a good choice. Are there any others that I should think about?

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Todd,

I dont think you will find the cables (Belden 1694a) lacking in any capacity no matter what the source. They are rated to 3MHZ and the difference between them and the 1695a is very slight, to me anyway. Enjoy what you have

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
Thanks for the reassurance Mark
That was my thinking when purchasing these cables.
They are nice cables & do perform well.
Should be quite sufficient I think.
Arron H
Plenty of info for you to read & links to check out right in this thread.
It sounds like the AR master series might be a good choice. Are there any others that I should think about?
AR master should be a nice cable I used their performance component video cable before upgrading to Rhino.
Check out www.partsexpress.com for good pricing on AR.
Todd

Arron H

Second Unit
AR master should be a nice cable I used their performance component video cable before upgrading to Rhino.
Thanks, Chris. I ended up buying the very affordable AR performance component cable. I did not have a ton to spend as I just purchased the Panasonic. It sounds like the performance series is a preety decent cable for the price ;)

NatL

Stunt Coordinator
I think I found the bargain I was looking for at Rhino.

$60 for a 3 meter Belden 1694a cable with Canare connector.

They also have a package deal combining a 1 meter digital coax with a 2 or 3 meter component cable which I also took advantage of.
I didn't see this at their website, do you have to call them to get it?

N

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Possible its been discontinued or they are making some changes to their products/web site. Send them an e-mail and see if its still valid.

DanaA

Screenwriter
NatL,

I noticed the special deal a few weeks ago when I was ordering my component cable. Just went back. Unless I missed something, it's no longer there.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I've looked at https://accessories4less.com/ and was trying to find some 5.1 audio cables, but couldn't find any by any brand. Don't these exist, or am I just imagining them? I'm talking about a bundle of six RCA audio cables, bundled together like a componenent video set is bundled together, so you can easily connect a 5.1 output to a 5.1 input. I realize I could just use three pairs of stereo cables, but I really thought there was such a thing as a 5.1 cable set. Was I wrong, or am I blind?

Steve-AZ

Auditioning
Justin,

You need to look at the SACD-DVD A cables at the Accessories for Less Web Site. I haven't purchased any of these but have been very happy with other sets that I have bought from them.

Steve

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I just took a look, and they don't have any AR-brand cables in that category...just a brand called IXOS, which are all more expensive than I can handle at this time. I've picked out all my other cables from the AR Pro line. I guess I'll have to get three pairs of stereo cables, then.

Steve-AZ

Auditioning
Justin,

I have 3 pairs (6 cables) of the 6 foot audio AR-Perf (not PROs) if you want them for $25. I've upgraded to the ATS cables that AC4L carries (I like them more than the AR PROs)and they have never been used (2 sets in the original box). I'll be in Baltimore next week on business if you want them and to avoid paying any shipping.

Just let me know if this helps, or they'll just be sitting in a box.

Steve

Mark Rich

Second Unit
NatL

Checked this morning and RhinoCables has the special package back on their web site. Guess they are changing things around or something.

NatL

Stunt Coordinator
I have elected to go with Canare LV-61S component cables ($54) and LV-77S SPDIF digital coax ($28).

For the cost and what I have heard is a great brand name, I figure I can't go wrong. I was debating something like this for components for sucking it up and putting down the $120 for the Silver Serpent.

N

NatL

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry - I should have noted the component cables are 2M and the digital coax 1M.

N

Mark Rich

Second Unit
NatL
The choice you made was not a bad one but you should have done a little more research and gone with solid core cables. The LV-61s is a stranded RG59 cable! Not the best choice for that price/performance. Canare makes a solid core RG6 cable in the L-5cfb series. What you gain in flexibility you lose in performance with stranded cables. Heartland sells Canare L-5CFB while Bluejeans sells both the Canare L-5cfb and Belden 1694a.
FYI the cables that Rhino sells would have cost $69.95 and for that you would have gotten Belden 1694a for component video and Belden 1695a (Teflon insulated with added shield)for a digital cable. IMO this package would have provided much better performance for less. I know, its hindsight now
:)

NatL

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the advice - I had decided to go with them, but had not purchased yet.

I had seen those others you mentioned. I was considering Rhino's "performance" component video cables. Am I likely to see a bump in performance jumping up to them in a standard-type situation or is the upgrade really only good for special situations - like longer runs, for instance.

I am buying a Toshiba 50H82 soon and want to get the best performance out of the darkest scenes. I had seen a review which said this is something the Silver Serpents do well, which is why I considered them.

N

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
The choice you made was not a bad one but you should have done a little more research and gone with solid core cables. The LV-61s is a stranded RG59 cable! Not the best choice for that price/performance. Canare makes a solid core RG6 cable in the L-5cfb series. What you gain in flexibility you lose in performance with stranded cables. Heartland sells Canare L-5CFB while Bluejeans sells both the Canare L-5cfb and Belden 1694a.
Mark, I'm looking at the Heartland Canare L-5CFB cable, but for analog audio interconnects... not component video!

Have I wandered off the reservation, or is this an appropriate wire for such an application? The price is great, nearly half of what a Kimber PBJ or BetterCable SilverSerpent set would cost. But is it even an appropriate choice for an analog audio interconnect (specifically, to connect an SACD player to a receiver)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks