What's new

ACI Maestro... (1 Viewer)

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Frank ... Glad you are liking the graphs... They show the B4+ has very food dynamics, lots of power, and extension.

I wish (as in Craig, you bonehead) that I had managed to SAVE the graph which showed the 118 dB at 20 Hz... instead of accidently deleting it, and NOT realizing it until AFTER the beast was in the house and running there...

It (the 118 dB graph) showed a less compressed 20 Hz signal, and lower distortion levels... The SPL at 40 Hz (first distortion frequency) was at 95 dB ... then, with 2 dB more 20 Hz output, the 40 Hz jumped to what you see here...

The B4+ will "only" hit 118 dB at 20 Hz/one meter before (outside groundplane measurements) severe clipping or compression sets in.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"As a teacher I find this absolutely brilliant. I sometimes fear that Western society is moving away from independent thought and trying to homogenize all thinking. Here's to independent thought, and problem solving!"

I too think that indeed Western societies are involved in some form of dumbing down of the human race, so couldn't agree more, Mike! Great post...

By the way...I might have the opportunity to meet you in person at the September 11th meet in Temecula, California (stomping grounds of Gary Reber and his Widescreen Review effort).
I just got off the phone chatting with the young fellow (HTF's FOT, I believe) who's providing the pheripheral gear and facilities for such memorable occasion.
I understand a pair of Onyx Ref. 3s are going to be there too. Great opportunity to hear your flagship transducers if am able to attend.

Also, you might be interested in knowing I just purchased a pair of RS-750s..."sight unseen, sound unheard." I'll be eagerly awaiting for their arrival.
Am extremely impressed with the way your company conducts business! The young fellow (Steve, I believe) who clarified things for me is truly a great employee. Kudos to AV123 for the way customers are treated!... :emoji_thumbsup:

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I feel extremely humbled by the knowledged expressed in this thread by you, Craig, Ed, et al, and always find something educational in your posts. Please, keep 'em coming!...
__________________________________________________ _____

Isn't that the truth Frank. If I could retain 25% of what is contained in this thread thus far, I would be happy. And to think the review hasn't even started yet.

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton

Thanks Frank,

Do be sure when reading above that those comments are much about our designer Tom Danley, who is the real genius. I am a good sponge and instigator to keep him on his toes and pushing further. I also work more on the application end of the design and product development where Tom is the one who really "makes it work."

Another wonderful quote a system designer I am friends with, Blair McNair, often sites from his days at Crown working with Dick Heyser is this gem:

Dick would always complain that "It is frustrating to explain in 10 minutes what it took me 10 years to learn!" Of course Blair being quick witted came back with a very truthful reply. "Yes Dick, but it takes us another 10 years to figure out what you told us in 10 minutes!"

I have experienced this many times myself with Tom Danley, other experts, and even revisiting lessons from college. It is often days, months, or even years later when you finally go "Ahah! Now I get it!"

Cheers,

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Do be sure when reading above that those comments are much about our designer Tom Danley, who is the real genius. I am a good sponge and instigator to keep him on his toes and pushing further. I also work more on the application end of the design and product development where Tom is the one who really 'makes it work.' "

Mark,

You're being too humble!

I sure would like to possess an small percentage of your knowledge! Man, the things I could do then!!... :)

-THTS

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
We need a warm up band...
__________________________________________________ ___

Ok the band is on the way;) Just remember it's entertainment and You can be the judge.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"What would you do Frank... Buy 16 more 12 inch drivers ? ...."

Nope...but sure would turn my whole house into a huge IB enclosure containing twelve 18" and twelve 15" bass drivers...EQ'd...and powered by 20,000 watts per side! :D
(oops! Then I would have to have three-phase AC power and my own "substation" to power up such a battery of power amplifiers! :eek: Shucks...never mind! :frowning: )...

-THTS

Richard_M

Second Unit

Frank...

Stop procrastinating; you work in the industry, get some 11KV into the house, then you won't have to worry about voltage drop :D

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
Tieing back into the mention of IB's and ACI, I would give a knod to Mike that one of my more impressive DIY bass experiences was when I made it out to hear Tom Perazella's 8 - DV-12(driver previously offered for DIY from ACI) IB plus 75" BG Ribbon. That was the first time I had heard a well executed IB and made for quite an experience. Tom is here in the Chicago Suburbs and assembled quite a serious system.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Frank...

Stop procrastinating; you work in the industry, get some 11KV into the house, then you won't have to worry about voltage drop"

Actually, it is 12 KV, but even 4KV power sources would do quite nicely as well!... :)

-THTS

Richard_M

Second Unit

Sorry about that Frank, I didn't know your transmission voltages, whereas down under we use 11KV, 22KV etc.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Forget the Warm Up Band... We need a "Death By Subwoofer" thread...

Ok no band then. You might want to consider stepping to the side and letting Frank run that one?:)

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Sorry about that Frank, I didn't know your transmission voltages, whereas down under we use 11KV, 22KV etc."

No need to be sorry, Richard! Actually, I neglected noting where you live (I hope one day to tour a bit of your beautiful "down under: country!), thus my "correction."

Anyhow, at least here in Southern California the Electric Public Utility I work for primarily deals with 750 KV (DC), 500 KV, 220 KV (166 KV & 138KV in isolated areas of eastern California, I believe), 115 KV, and 66 KV transmission line voltage levels, then 33KV, 16KV, 12KV, 4.8KV, 4KV, and 2.4KV on the "distribution" (customer side) voltage levels.
We run power generation (nuclear, steam, and hydro) at a frequency of 60 Hz (as do all of the USA), yet I believe Australia runs its electrical system at 50 Hz, correct?...

-THTS

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Steve ... Absolutely - Frank should run the Death By Subwoofer thread... He has done more to earn it than anyone I know... Can you imagine Frank and Mark Seaton collaborating ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks