What's new

Ace in the Hole/My Friend Irma/Save the Tiger Coming in October from Paramount (1 Viewer)

Barrie Maxwell

Stunt Coordinator
Announced as planned by Paramount for October. The news is appended to the studio's official release of its September grid of releases. No specific October dates yet available and no details on the discs other than that My Friend Irma will be paired with My Friend Irma Goes West.

Barrie

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
Yippee!! Ace In The Hole at last! That's the best DVD news this year for me.

Save The Tiger will be a welcome release as well - I haven't seen it in years, but I remember it as one of Jack Lemmon's most impressive performances.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

If true that would be an awesome October for Paramount with another never released on home video film, Wyler's "Detective Story" coming out that month along with The Strange Love of Martha Ivers and John Wayne films like Hondo and McLintock.

Crawdaddy

Charles H

Screenwriter
I love Warner Bros., but I wish that they followed the examples of Paramount and Fox, and offered more titles on dvd that were also making their debuts on homevideo. Even some interesting titles (TWO WEEKS IN ANOTHER TOWN, THE COBWEB, THE WORLD, THE FLESH, AND THE DEVIL< THE HOLLYWOOD REVUE OF 1929, GOLDEN DAWN, ROSE MARIE (1954) et al) were brought out on LD and they merit duplication on dvd.
Paramount is to be saluted for DETECTIVE STORY, MY FRIEND IRMA GOES WEST, and ACE IN THE HOLE (with a commentary by Robert Arthur and Kirk Douglas PLEEEZE??!!). I'd love to see MY SON JOHN, SAILOR BEWARE, SOMEBODY LOVES ME, BEAU JAMES, THE FURIES, NO MAN OF HER OWN
and LITTLE BOY LOST on dvd in the future.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
best news i've heard in a LONG time!

Ace In The Hole will be MUCH appreciated!
(to be honest, this is the first Paramount title this year that i am truly excited about)

rather than a commentary with Douglas, which frankly would be taxing to listen to and probably for him to deliver as well, i wouldn't mind a 'text' interview in its place- and also Cameron Crowe has hours of Wilder on tape diuscussing his films and has put it out there that he would consider their use as part of dvd supplements. as far as i know, no studio has looked into his offer.
that would be my priority as far as supplement material for the film is concerned, but in actuality, i wouldn't need anything for this film.
just having the film on something finer than a 15 year old 'taped off AMC' VHS will be reason enough for me to celelbrate.

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
Ace in the Hole is truly monumental news! But, I really won't get my hopes up until I have it in my hand. Those other films are also great news!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
No! Oh, holy shit! Ace in the Hole on DVD?! 11 years on my top 10 home video wish list!

Thank you, Paramount!

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Ditto! I can't think of another title that I've purchased all year from them, but to make up for it, I'll be buying 3 copies of "Ace in the Hole", and a couple other title to reward them for this. I'll also pick up "Save the Tiger" & "Martha Ivers", even though I only have mild interest in them.

This has been my most wanted title since the dawn of DVD.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! I think I'm going to start crying!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

No, I haven't. I'm feeling generous though, so if you're reccomending it, I'll give it a whirl.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

If you like "Ace in the Hole" then most likely you'll feel the same about "Detective Story". IMO, in some ways, Detective Story is a superior film. Both films came out the same year, but Kirk Douglas's performance and the ensemble acting of "Detective Story" is very good while "Ace in the Hole" is a film mostly carried by Kirk Douglas.

Crawdaddy

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

I agree Crawdaddy. It's funny, in terms of the set and style of the film, whenever I watch it, I am always reminded of the TV show Barney Miller with the various personalities of the cops and the attitudes and sob stories of the prisoners they haul into the detective office. A very good film. Hope they release another of my Douglas/Lancaster favorites soon, I Walk Alone.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

Is Detective Story photographed in the wide angle and deep focus style like Wyler's films Little Foxes, Best Years of Our Lives and others?

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Good to finally see ACE IN THE HOLE make it to any video format. Although, I have to say, when I finally was able to see it on AMC, after years of looking for it, it wasn't quite as good as I had hoped. Wilder is one of my favorite directors and it is probably one of my least favorite of his films.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Actually, I thought I read a long time ago that Barney Miller was really a comedic copy of Detective Story without the drama and tragedy that is attached to the film.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

There are several shots in which the entire Detective squad room is captured. Most of the film takes place inside the squad room with the various detectives and suspects. Also, I think Douglas in Ace in the Hole borrowed just a little from the character he played in Detective Story. Detective Story was filmed and released first in 1951.

Edit: My comments about "Detective Story" being filmed and released first were incorrect due to my faulty memory.:) Anyhow after reading my comments again and having some doubt about their accuracy, I decided to check again some details. The movie "Ace in the Hole" was filmed in 1950, and released during the summer of 1951, six months before "Detective Story". The latter film was completed in 1951, and released in LA and NYC late that year to qualify for that year's Oscars.

Crawdaddy

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Wow! I guess this is where I differ from many. I consider "Ace in the Hole" to be one of Wilder's very best films. Maybe, half a notch below "The Apartment" & "Double Indemnity", and just ahead of "Sunset Boulevard". I have an original poster framed on my wall, and watch my cruddy VHS tape about twice a year. Overall, it's in my top 10 of all time.

I love Wilder's acidic dialogue & his view of society. His view pretty much matches my pessimistic view of the world, and it makes me feel better when I know that I'm not the only one, and in fact that some people thought this way 50+ years ago. It's funny that this movie was rejected by the public, because it was over the top and unrealistic. It was argued that people dont' really react that way to other people's tragedies, but just check out the newspaper everyday and see for yourself. The first time that I saw this film, I immediately flashed back to "Baby Jessica".

Nearly every story in the paper is about an individual, but when there is some mass tragedy, it's usually fleeting news at best. I don't want to sidetrack the thread, but just look at the "Aruban Tragedy" or the Schiavo incident. There have been countless other stories of larger significance that affected many more people, but these are the two stories that are still getting regular coverage.

Billy! You were spot on with this film!!!

Shawn Cornwell

Stunt Coordinator
quote:
__________________________________________________ ________

"Ace in the Hole" is a film mostly carried by Kirk Douglas
__________________________________________________ ________

Although I think Douglas is A-one in "Ace," IMO Jan Sterling's contribution to the film is at least equal to her costar's work. She's terrific in a spot-on characterization; it's hard to imagine another actress putting over the classic "kneeling bags my nylons" line with Sterling's panache, but Sterling does riveting work in every scene she appears in. For her efforts in "Ace" Sterling won the National Board of Review Award for Best Actress- and this was the year of Vivien Leigh's Blanche Du Bois.

Although she did fine work in film's such as "Caged" and "Johnny Belinda" and scored a Golden Globe Award and an Oscar nomination for "The High and the Mighty," I don't think Sterling ever surpassed her stinging portrayal in Billy Wilder's 1951 masterpiece of one of the cinema's most heartless, opportunistic wives.

Can't wait for both of these great 1951 releases . . .

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
By the way, did anyone else ever notice the name of the carnival company in this movie?

S&M Amusements:D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

My comment was not meant to be taken as a slight to Sterling's performance, but stating the fact of his star power in getting that film made. Though, Kirk Douglas was the star of Detective Story, the film was a famous play that had more of an ensemble effort in comparison to Ace in the Hole which was my point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks