What's new

Accurate speakers for $200-500 (1 Viewer)

Im looking for a pair or two of smaller speakers and a matching center channel. I want something high end but i dont want to pay more than $300-500 for the set. I dont want to build the boxes myself because this is actually for a older lady. Doesnt need to be real bassy. Just needs to sound good and be really accurate/flat. At this point i just talked her out of bose which she pronounced bos-ie. lol

$500 is my highest price but you could name things around that range as well.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Some ideas...
1.Ascend 170's across the front. (Ascend.com)
2.Rocket ELT's and an ELT CSE center channel. (AV123.com)
3.Axiom M3's across the front (Axiom.com)

Those are all internet direct with in home trials..

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I suggest you take a listen to Paradigm, either the Performance or Monitor series of speakers. There are several combinations that would fit your budget.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I dont know if Fluance is accurate/falt or not, but they sound great for the price and is worth checking out.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Now THAT is funny... My computer takes me to the correct sites when I type those in (someday I will figure out how computers work)... Curtis, you are right... those are the "full" names... I will definitely be one of those guys who appreciates talking computers... :emoji_thumbsup:

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Hey... If you try Rocket.com ... You actually will get a company that makes Rocket Propulsion Sytems... Very cool site... :)

Yes, I am in the office, bored, waiting for a return call...

Allen_N

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with those three suggestions as well. They will give you the best performance for something in that price range.

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Some guys here also have Swan Speakers by theaudioinsider.com. Also internet direct selling.

I am planning to buy these speakers as recommended by those guys but actually, I have never heard them yet. :D

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Axiom.com is for sale ? We need to get Ajax involved... we could buy it and have ALL sorts of fun...;)

John Ingram... This is what is known as a thread hijack.. IF you want your thread back, just ask, we are benevolent hijackers...

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Ronneil... Good call. I should have mentioned Swan... (ok... Theaudioinsider.com ... I thought putting that now would keep me from typing Swan.com) ... I am waiting a review pair... and have not heard them, but they are also worth a good look...

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator
All the suggestions above are really good.

I would also throw into the ring the B&W DM602 S3s. I think they would work just as well as the ones listed above.

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
Yep..the Swan 2.1's are for sure worth a look. You will be amazed how nice they sound...and the price for the black cherry faux finish is a steal.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
and don't forget NHT... you can still often find NHT SuperOnes for reasonable rates. SuperZeros are also quite nice, albiet don't go as low.

Leo

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I would second the Swans Diva 2.1s at around $300 and the 4.1s at around $500. Very neutral, accurate w/out sounding bright/harsh. I love my 4.1/2.1/C3 setup.

Doug Z

Stunt Coordinator
While we are on the topic of swans, why is there no reviews of the 2.1 in magazines like audiophile or stereo review, etc? There a couple of reviews but if they get such great raves in the forums why don't these people put it up against the big names like B&W, or are they afraid the $300 2.1's will put a hurting on them. I personally am going to get the swan's myself but I would love to see on paper the comparisons and the reviews.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Most magazines of those sorts advertise gear from the brands that can afford to advertise in their magazine. You will rarely see any magazine review of an internet direct company because they can't afford to advertise in these magazines.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks