What's new

Acclaim dropping support for Gamecube (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I could see online gaming easily quadrupling or more by Xmas 2005.

Not only is broadband availability (finally) growing at an obscene pace, but the gaming hasn't even been marketed that much yet.

Wait until Halo 2, Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Links, and XSN are available on XBox. All within the next 10 months. Demand is going to grow substantially, especially with Halo 2. Just like Halo got people to buy XBoxes, Halo 2 will prompt people to buy Live. And Microsoft is planning on a hundred online titles total by this time next year.

Sony has really only given a real marketing push to one title in one genre. A game like SOCOM isn't everybody's cup of tea (plus most people won't buy hardware for a single title). Yeah, there are a handful of other online titles (Tony Hawk, Amplitude), but most people don't even know they are online. Wait until various titles in various genres are marketed like SOCOM was. Throw on top of that EA's own network on PS2, and you are going to see a lot more PS2 gamers getting online. And remember, they made the broadband adaptor standard now.

What has been released so far is minor compared to the flood that is coming. Ultimately software sells hardware and services, and the current software is just the tip of the iceberg.

And December 2005 isn't even going to be the true end of the current generation. And that's three major holiday seasons from now.

I expect a minimum of four million installed online accounts by XMas 2005, and possibly a lot more.

JayV

Supporting Actor
it's still a fee, and one that requires a credit card (making it inaccessible to many people).
Eh? Like whom? Credit cards are available to Americans like party favors. We're famous for it. I suppose infants and pets don't have credit cards (although, I hear they sometimes do!), but I suspect they are not in the coveted demo.

So the fee for Live (or a BB adapter) + BB fees is a hefty sum, ergo online gaming will not grow substantially. Do I understand that correctly?

-j

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
So the fee for Live (or a BB adapter) + BB fees is a hefty sum, ergo online gaming will not grow substantially. Do I understand that correctly?
It will, but not THAT substantially.

Considering many games for the Dreamcast that were online were free and that the DC had the modem come with the console, it didn't really do so hot. In 4 years, the total has come to only half a million per console. I suspect that the number will grow, but not to that size. The potential for something doesn't mean it will be there.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
When Nintendo unveils their next console all that technology and expanded user base will be available to them. Why lose money now, if things are going to be so much better in a year or two, which happens to be when the new consoles are likely to hit the market. You seem to validate Nintendo's reasoning for waiting.
It's called growing pains. Microsoft and Sony are getting those out of the way now, instead of when it REALLY matters. Nintendo WILL have to do the same, but it will be along side 2 companies that are already well passed them.

David Lee

Stunt Coordinator
It's called growing pains. Microsoft and Sony are getting those out of the way now, instead of when it REALLY matters.

And Nintendo can't learn from their mistakes. They are FORCED to repeat them. Speaking about the Next Gen, everyone starts at zero. They will have to build a user base all over again. Is it really a given that everyone who owns an Xbox or a PS2 will definately buy that companies new system. It's likely that all three consoles will ship online ready [like Dreamcast].

Microsoft SHOULD be commended for pushing online play, I just think Nintendo is waiting for when it REALLY matters [as you put it].

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Is it really a given that everyone who owns an Xbox or a PS2 will definately buy that companies new system.
I would have to say YES, if we are talking about the PS2. Casual gamers usual go for the Sony's offerings, mainly because of the marketing hype.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget Gran Turismo 4 online is coming. That will bring a lot more gamers online than SOCOM is.

Guys, I'm telling you, the push hasn't even started yet. The last 8 months hasn't scratched the surface. Ultimately the games will sell the services, and much bigger games are coming.

In 4 years, the total has come to only half a million per console. I suspect that the number will grow, but not to that size. The potential for something doesn't mean it will be there.
That is a ridiculous way to spin the numbers. That sounds like linear growth of a million in four years. The fact is, online was a non-starter for the Saturn and the Dreamcast; the systems weren't that popular and the online capability was not marketed well. The fact is that in the last ten months online console gaming has grown from basically zero to around a million. Doesn't sound that slow any more, does it?

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I'm telling you, the push hasn't even started yet
Exactly. Thats the exact point i've been trying to make in my last 2-3 posts. When you take into account the amount of consoles that Sony alone has on the market, Its difficult for me to believe that some find it hard to concieve of a modest 3 million userbase for online console gaming in two years.

paul_v

Second Unit
PS3 isnt coming out until Dec 2005? Dang maybe I should break down a buy a PS2. I was going to wait for the PS3 but that's a long time to wait.

Right now I only own a gamecube and have been pleased with it. Yeah I know I'm missing out on some great playstaytion games but as for the X-Box titles chances are I can wait a year and get the same titles on the PC (ie Halo, Half-Life 2 is coming out on PC first). I've got Splinter Cell on my cube so I didn't miss out on that...and the GBA connectivity features are pretty cool (the GBA is my stepsons and heh).

I'm with you folks that want Nintendo to concentrate on on-line play. I would dare say they would sell 50% more copies of F-Zero and Mario Kart if they had an online option...and they would be games that sells systems too. I don't see why Nintendo sees this as a bad thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks