Ronald Epstein

powramid.jpeg

ACCELL

POWRAMID

Power Center - USB Charging Station

Reviewed by Ronald Epstein

July, 2012

DSC_0003.jpg

I wonder how many people reading this review share my fascination with power strips.  True, it may seem like an odd fascination, but when you think about, all of us who own home theaters and elaborate computer setups have some sort of diverse method of managing the multitude of cords and bulky adapters that power our systems. 

Almost a year ago I had the fortune of receiving and reviewing the Accell Powersquid Surge Protector and Power Conditioner.  To date, it's my absolute favorite method of powering and protecting some of my most valued devices.  The ultimate advantage of using the Powersquid is that it enables me to comfortably plug in multiple devices with large brick adapters next to each other --- something that is impossible on a normal power strip.

DSC_0005.jpg

Now from the folks that brought you the Powersquid comes Powramid.  This power center is a more aesthetically pleasing solution for home and office needs, as it sits directly on top of a desk or conference room table allowing quick access to multiple power outlets.  It's a far better solution than having to reach beneath a desk or into a crawlspace to power your portable device.  

DSC_0008.jpg

If you take a look at the above photo, you can see how perfectly Powramid suits my needs for powering just a few of the devices that sit on my table across from my home theater.  With a total of six adapter friendly outlets, I have plenty of options available when I need to quickly find access to power.  

DSC_0010.jpg

Additionally, Powramid contains two USB Charging Ports (2.1A) which provide enough power to continuously charge my iPad while in its docking station.  Other USB uses include mobile phones, tablets or portable music players.  Imagine how easy it is to come home, reach across the table, and quickly charge your device using the USB connection.  No more fumbling below for a power outlet.

DSC_0011.jpg

While I appreciate the fact that an indicator light lets me know my equipment is being powered and protected, I was a bit apprehensive that the radiance would be overpowering in a darkened home theater environment.  It was pleasing to find that Powramid emits a soft, warm glow that won't interfere from your work or entertainment environment.

DSC_0001.jpg

So allow me to talk a little about the device itself.  

As I previously indicated, the Powramid offers a total of 6 widely spaced surge protected power outlets.  This means you don't have to worry about multiple brick adapters not fitting alongside each other.  The device itself is powered by a heavy duty 6 foot power cord.  4 Rubber feet at the base of the power center protect your furniture from any potential scratches.

The Powramid provides 1080J of surge protection and power conditioning.  Typical surge protectors continue to supply power even after they no longer are providing surge protection.  When this happens, connected devices are at risk to potential damage from a power surge.  With its Power Stop technology, the Powramid automatically stops conducting power once the absorption has reached capacity.

If you haven't noticed already, the Powramid is available in black or white colors.  It is also available in two models, one with dual USB charging and one without dual USB charging.  It also appears that you get only a 4' cord (as opposed to 6') on the non-USB models.

Included is Accell's 5-year manufacturer's warranty. In addition, a a 5-year connected equipment limited warranty ensures your equipment will be repaired or replaced up to $100,000, if Powramid fails to stop a surge.  More information on this warranty can be found on Accell's website.

In conclusion, I need to reiterate one of the strongest selling points of Powramid:  the ability to place it on a desk or table top for quick access to powering all your portable gadgets.  It's the first such device that doesn't look like your typical power strip.  No doubt when family or friends see it sitting right out in the open, they are going to probably inquire where you got it from.  At the moment, this is one of the coolest things I have sitting in my home theater room.  I recommend it highly.

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Nice,but min. joule rating should be 1440J. I have mind pluged into one with the higher Joule rating.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Good review Ron. Wall warts and power strips have been a nuisance for years. I can never quite get the right combination of outlets and plugs for a clean setup. This then looks very interesting. I need to take a fresh look at my power strip setup with this in mind.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You might point out in your review that they sell a version without the USB Port. A quick purchase, trying to save a few bucks, might leave a person with the wrong version.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
DaveF said:
You might point out in your review that they sell a version without the USB Port. A quick purchase, trying to save a few bucks, might leave a person with the wrong version.
He does mention it...

"If you haven't noticed already, the Powramid is available in black or white colors. It is also available in two models, one with dual USB charging and one without dual USB charging. It also appears that you get only a 4' cord (as opposed to 6') on the non-USB models."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks