1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

AC-3 question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Chris PG, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Chris PG

Chris PG Auditioning

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for this question or not, but I'll ask it here anyway. If it needs to be moved to another forum, please do so.

This seems really stupid to ask, but what is the technical explanation to the term AC-3 output? Is this another word for coaxial output?

The reason I'm asking is because my Scientific Atlanta HD cable box has the AC-3 output and no optical out. I was thinking that it's just a coaxial output that inputs into the reciever. If this is not the case, how would I hook it up to my receiver so that I could take advantage of the Dolby digital output of the cable box?

Am I right, or am I way off?

Thanks guys.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yes it is. AC-3 is the original name of Dolby Digital

3. Chris PG

Chris PG Auditioning

Thanks Jeff.

That's what I figured it was. I thought it sounded familiar when I remembered that term back in the days of LaserDisc.

So, all I need is a coaxial cable from the cable box and then input that to the receiver and that's it, I'm set?

I feel so dumb. I've had this cable box for weeks and only now figured that out!

Thanks again.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yep. Run a coax cable (preferably 75-ohm) to your reciever.

AC-3 stands for Audio Coding type 3, known round the world as Dolby Digital.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

AC-3 is the name of the compression scheme that Dolby Digital developed and offered to the DVD and HDTV standards groups. But AC-3 is not really very marketable so the term "DD" or "Dolby Digital" is used.

Just like Dolby Pro-Logic encoding is often called "Dolby Surround".

You need a Video Cable to connect your box to your receiver. These are all made with 75 ohm coax as Chris pointed out.