What's new

Absolute Beginners! Am I the only one? (1 Viewer)

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
Okay, I'm ready to take a beatin'.
'London's answer to West Side Story' pretty much turned out to be London's answer to Plan 9 from Outer Space, but dammit, I love this movie, and I've watched it at least once a year since the VHS days.
Is there another human being in the world who'd like to have this on blu? I mean... David Bowie! Sade! Ray Davies! And who could forget that opening shot, which got raved about (and then cruelly mocked) in The Player?
Maybe there's a rights issue I'm not aware of. Or, maybe (say it ain't so!), the interest just isn't there. But I'd be first in line to buy this film in HD. And just the fact that you can't find a SINGLE interview with ANYBODY on the internet about this film tells me there's a really interesting documentary to be had, there! :D
Anybody else want this film?

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I saw it first run and really liked it. The opening number was great. I've always wondered why it wasn't held in higher esteem. It's not great but it's miles ahead of other things of that era. Oldies.com had the dvd for 2.99 for a long time. I just checked 1.98! Place your orders. I am going to spin the laser disc tonight-I'll report back.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I really liked this movie. It is an interesting recalling of a point in time where England lifted out of the post-war doldrums just before swinging London. Being young then made the world look bright, fresh and new.
The dance numbers are fantastic and really move with energy. The streets look electric and suddenly everything comes to life.
This should be a classic.
Let's have it on Blu-ray!

Mark_TB

Second Unit
I would buy a blu-ray release. Used to have it on VHS, but I haven't seen the movie in probably fifteen years. Funny this should come up now, since I was reminded of it a few weeks back while listening to the Bowie title song, and decided to break down and buy the DVD. That usually means a BD announcement is imminent. :D
- Mark

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
Mark_TB said:
decided to break down and buy the DVD. That usually means a BD announcement is imminent. :D
- Mark
I hope you're right! Although the plot meanders (it did in the novel, as well), there's a lot to love in this film! :)

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
ijthompson said:
I hope you're right! Although the plot meanders (it did in the novel, as well), there's a lot to love in this film! :)
Not sure whether this was actually a UK stage musical first, but it's got that quality--
Didn't realize they hated it so much over there ( :blink: ); over here, it'd pretty much confused the heck out of US audiences who had never heard of postwar London, pop agents or Teddy-boys, and came and went in obscurity, but the colors and one-shot opening got Julian Temple his first film recognition outside of MTV.

At the time, everyone here just (briefly) remembered it for the promotional MTV video--parodying the old 50's cigarette ad--getting the opening David Bowie theme stuck in your head. (Ba-ba-ba-oooo...)

babsdude

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Loved this movie, but haven't seen it since the 80s. That long uninterrupted opening shot is to die for. And I'm a huge fan of Sade and "Killer Blow" -- that scene in the speakeasy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks