What's new

About to make a buy... (1 Viewer)

allprolab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
So I emailed svs for suggestions. I pulled a Homer and forgot to attach the room diagram with my first email. Doh!

Now to unpatiently wait a reply.

allprolab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
Well I'm impressed. I didn't expect to hear back from svs till tomorrow, but I just received a very helpful email.

Good chance I'll be ordering tomorrow.

allprolab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
The title of this thread should now read

I have made a buy!

SVS SBS-01 5.0 set up with the PB12-NSD sub. Also picked up a pair of stands and the avia/spl meter bundle. I figured I should buy the bundle and set these speakers up the best way possible.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
A little late to be asking this but what are you going to use (avr) to power your new SVS setup? Just curious. :)

allprolab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
I'll be using my old Sony STR DE675 for now. Later I plan on upgrading to an Onkyo 605 or equivalent.

I could use some feedback on pairing up this receiver with the svs speakers. I'm not sure I ever had my old sub hooked up the best way. I'm no expert here but I'm learning.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Pete: I use a Sony STR-DE445 to drive the Polk/Sony set-up I referenced a few posts ago.

Your 675 has the same analog 5.1 analog audio inputs that mine. That could be important to you until you get a receiver with an HDMI connector. When you upgrade to Blu-ray (as your diagram suggests), you may want to consider getting a Blu-ray player with analog 5.1 audio outs to match. That is the only way to take advantage of the uncompressed PCM soundtracks available on the BDs without HDMI capabilities. And let me tell you...your SVS set-up will thank you! :D I've got a Panny DMP-BD10 which has the 5.1 outs. :emoji_thumbsup: that's an older model...but you may want to check out which of the current models have that feature.

allprolab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
So I'm at work and talking to my girlfriend (she works for me) and telling her I wish I could get my speakers today. Right then and there the ups guy pulls up and they were here!!

I know what I'm doing tonight. Oh yeah.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
In fact...I don't know what you're still doing at work.

You don't look so good--a little green around the edges. You feelin' okay, man?!

Oh wait. That's ME! Green with envy! :D

allprolab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
Well it's a great idea, but I'm the head honcho here, which means I guess I could, but if the owner found out it wouldn't be pretty.

That being said, my job comes with a house on the property so it's easy to sneak over there and get some things done.

As for my googies, I bought a pair of the stands. I put one together and I have to say I'm not falling in love with it. I don't see how it can safely secure the speakers by them just sitting on top of them. We'll see how it goes.

But really, that's a minor thing.

My girl about dropped a load in her pants when she saw the sub. I even measured out how big it was to show her, but even I was taken back by the size! Oh well, she'll have to learn to live with it.

We have to rearrange the whole living room now. It's going to be a long night.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

But SO worth it. Can't wait to hear your reports as things settle in!

If your girl plays her cards right, she should be able to wrangle a shopping spree because of this! :laugh:

allprolab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete

Well thankfully she's not a shopping spree type of girl. But she did manage to get me to take her to Indian buffet tonight. Yes, tonight.

(don't tell her the main reason I agreed is because I want to go to best buy and get a subwoofer cord!)

Also, I bought a spl meter from svs and the window is cracked with a big piece loose where the meter is. I emailed them to see if they'd replace it but haven't heard back. I don't exactly expect them to, but it would be nice.

allprolab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
I haven't got everything tweeked yet, but I'm sitting here with a permagrin watching LOTR.

And svs is going to send me a new spl meter. Great customer service. Very pleased.

Cloud

Agent
Real Name
Jeff
Keep updating this as you find more things you like/dislike. I'm considering the same package and I'd really like to hear your first hand opinions as you are using it

allprolab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
It's a fact that every living creature in my house hates me now. Especially the cat.

This morning I popped on saving private ryan. I cranked the dts intro at the beginning and when it was done I heard my half awake girlfriend in the other room say "ok, that was pretty cool".

I'm going to have to set the surround speaker on her side of the couch farther away. She's getting a headache from it already. :rolleyes:

I will be playing with everything all weekend long so I'm sure I'll have more updates. But so far I'm tickled pink. Or a more manly color.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry

Glad you're having fun with the purchase! You could try recalibrating the system as most of the time you shouldn't hear much from the surrounds, but you DID say you were watching Saving Private Ryan.... so you're gonna hear some stuff!

I had one of those fabled "my SVS knocked items of the shelf" last night; we were watching Batman Begins and during the train wreck scene things just started tumblin'! All I heard from my wife was a whispered "whoa" :D

allprolab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
Yes, I will be calibrating them them this weekend and hopefully the lady will be happy.

On a side note, I went to best buy for a cable. They had this rocketfish cable clearenced on the website for 12.99. On the shelf it was $23. So I asked if they matched their web price, and he went to check it. While I was watching him I saw it say 12.99, but he had the nerve to tell me it was discounted from $44 to $23. So I said "why does it say 12.99 then?". So they matched the web price. If you're going to try and fool someone you shouldn't let them see the price that was in large red numbers on the screen for everyone to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks