1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

AbFab/Keeping Up Appearances remastered--no Blu?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Andrew Budgell, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Well-Known Member

Andy Budgell
    TVShowsOnDVD.com has announced that both Absolutely Fabulous and Keeping Up Appearances will be remastered (the former only the first three series) and re-released as complete series sets on DVD. Why, if they went to the trouble of remastering these shows, are they not being released on Blu-ray as well?What a missed opportunity.

2. classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy Well-Known Member

Byron
    The first three series of "AbFab" were done on videotape (as was the whole of "Keeping Up Appearances", I believe), so those wouldn't look as optimal on Blu-ray.

3. Rob W

Rob W Well-Known Member

Robert
    If we've learned one thing over the years, the two most ambiguous words in home theatre are 'remastered' and 'restored' .

FoxyMulder and MatthewA like this.
  4. rmw650

rmw650 Well-Known Member

Richard W
    I got the Keeping Up Appearances DVD set for my folks a few years ago, so why is this being re-released, unless there is new material to be included as part of the remastered set...anything to make a quick buck nowadays, I guess.

5. classicmovieguy

Byron
    Probably some new extras material but that is about all...

6. classicmovieguy

Byron
    Extras according to TVShowsonDVD:

[*]Outtakes
    [*]Classic interviews with Patricia Routledge and Judy Cornwall
    [*]Retrospective pieces: "Comedy Connections" and "Funny Women: Patricia Routledge"
    [*]"Kitty Monologues" - Clips of Patricia Routledge as "Kitty," another brilliant character
    [*]A newly commissioned featurette about eccentric British style
    [*]A newly recorded interview with Patricia Routledge
    [*]

[*]

[*][color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, 'SunSans-Regular';font-size:12px;]Taken from:http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Keeping-Appearances-Collectors-Edition/18824#ixzz2bc8hRqO0[/color]
    [/list]

7. MatthewA

MatthewA Well-Known Member

Matthew
    Hopefully season 2 of AbFab will keep "Wheels on Fire" as the theme; seasons 1 and 3 did, but season 2, inexplicably, did not. I think there were other minor music-related cuts I hope will be restored.

8. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Well-Known Member

Although possible, if the BBC make music-related cuts or substitutions, they don't usually reverse them.

Even though the shows were shot-on-tape, it's possible they're having actual restoration to make them look better. After multiple releases, the BBC did so some actual restoration work on the most recent sets of Fawlty Towers and Blackadder, and those shows have never looked better (I think in the case of Fawlty, some or all of the original film inserts still existes and were cleaned up and re-inserted, as I recall, as has been done with some of the Doctor Who DVDs).

9. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Well-Known Member

Andy Budgell
    But in the case of AbFab, the recent reunion specials were shot in HD, so it would be nice to view them in the highest possible quality and an SD downgrade.

If Poirot could be released on Blu (I know, different studio) surely these two could be as well.

10. MatthewA

MatthewA Well-Known Member

Matthew
    Did either of these shows have film inserts? IIRC, the exterior scenes were on tape.

11. classicmovieguy

Byron
    I'm not sure - perhaps not. The location-based portions always looked like tape to me.

12. JMFabianoRPL

JMFabianoRPL Well-Known Member

Yes, most infamously, the cut of Edina quoting "Like a Prayer" and the "new" theme song obscuring end credits dialogue. Later, in Season 5, they lose a segment where the cast spoofs Chicago. And weren't the musical performances featuring Marianne Faithfull edited out of Last Shout?

Yeah, why was it OK for S1 and S3 to have the original theme and well-known songs (You Don't Have To Say You Love Me and Jackie appear in episodes, for instance), but not S2? Never got that.

I won't replace the "white" set of S1-3 until someone comes up with an unaltered version (and didn't WB release the original Ab Fab sets, actually?) Plus the original series is the one I care about the most...the others were never the same, and Saffy...I wish someone would throttle her because of how she acted from Series 4 and up!

As for KUA...I wish someone would have done a tribute to Mary Millar, who MADE the Rose character and is one of the few replacement Scrappies who were not actually Scrappies.

13. classicmovieguy

Byron
    All those edits aren't an issue in the UK and Australian sets... I've always wondered why the "Chicago" spoof was cut from the American release. Is it because the Broadway revival of "Chicago", which is still running, prevents any other televised performance?

14. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Well-Known Member

I don't think they cut any music from KUA...they did a lot of show tunes which seem intact on the old dvd.

15. AndyMcKinney

Maybe he was referring to AbFab instead?

16. David Weicker

David Weicker Well-Known Member

David
    I don't think it has anything to do with any current production. It's just that the legalities in America are different from Europe. The same thing happened to a Doctor Who episode where Ticket To Ride was on the UK release, but cut from the US release.If I recall correctly, in Europe, they negotiate an all-encompassing usage right, while in America, each and every song has to be negotiated individually

17. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Well-Known Member

I wasn't responding to another post; I was chiming in on KUA because nobody'd brought up its music as of yet.

18. AndyMcKinney

This is even true of DVD releases of American shows. The edits/substitutions of '50s pop songs that plagued the US releases of Happy Days had no effect on the UK releases, which were able to keep them.

19. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Well-Known Member

Brian
    The musical performances with Marianne Faithfull from The Last Shout have not been edited from the American release of those episodes. However, the theme song was replaced with the instramental version. Also there is a song that is edited out of The Last Shout. It's the scene where P.P. Arnold is signing The First Cut Is The Deepest.Also there is a minor edit in the episode Gay (the New York Special). The Gay episode, season 5 and White Box all had the original opening theme replaced with the instramental version of Wheels on Fire. The anniversary specials (when released in America) completley replaced Wheels on Fire with Sweet Dreams by the EurythmicsI have all of the edited pieces from Absolutley Fabulous and have managed to re-insert them in the appropriate episodes. I just haven't gotten around to assembling my 100% complete and uncut version of the series.

20. AndyMcKinney

The editing for AbFab sounds about as bad as Only Fools and Horses. Glad I'm not a fan of the former. Still holding onto my VHS tapes of the latter given the sorry state of the show's edit history on DVD (all regions having somewhat differering bits left out and/or changed).