What's new

ABC's new Defying Gravity (1 Viewer)

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
What you did highlight, though, is a very troubling statistic for fans of genre programming: We viewers are clearly not making it worth broadcasters' while to keep these shows on the air. Eventually, it seems to me, they're going to have to "give up" on "us". If all we're (as a group) willing to watch consistently in great numbers are shows like Law and Order, CSI, and that ilk, then that's going to be the bulk of what we get.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That's true, and isn't it great that shows like Lost has revitalized the genre recently. It is nice that they keep trying.

But I think it's simply the current fashion, or genre du jour. But there has always been a market for the genre type programing. There have been periods of PI and crime drama shows in the early 70's to supplanted it, but if sci fi films continue to do well at the box office, or we get a break out show like Lost, I think there is s till a place for that on TV when it makes money!

CSI is probably going out soon. I enjoy the original very much, but some other fashion will soon be big!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Defying Gravity is still airing on CTV in Canada, and will reportedly finish off its season sometime in the future on ABC.

You can see the CTV episodes here:

http//www.enjoytvonline.com/category/defying-gravity/

- Steve

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
My understanding is that CTV broadcast just one more episode, and then moved the series to Space TV. Is that not the case?

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
It's been airing on Space for the entire season, but CTV doesn't have it on their schedule this week, as it's been replaced by Medium and Ghost Whisperer. Hopefully Space will close out the season.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Space was running a week behind CTV and they have episode 9 scheduled for this week and #10 for Oct 3rd. (I think CTV replaced it with "Flashpoint")

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Yes, they did. That's what I watched tonight. I'll have to check what day Space is airing Defying Gravity. I sure would hate to miss the last few episodes.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by PatW

Yes, they did. That's what I watched tonight. I'll have to check what day Space is airing Defying Gravity. I sure would hate to miss the last few episodes.

Like us Americans, who seemingly have no legal method to finish off the season. Is ABC at least streaming it or something? No. Just gone. Thanks ABC.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Well they showed a new episode of this on the Space channel right before the premiere of Stargate: Universe. We didn't learn anything more about Beta. The ship is close to Venus. I think there's two or three episodes left. I would like to see them land on Venus but I won't hold my breathe. Too bad because it was a promising series if only they had cut down on the soap opera stuff and reduced the number of flashbacks.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Decent ep, but it made the plot a whole lot murkier. And since there are likely only 2 eps left (period) then I don't know where it goes.

We now know that their genetic structure is being changed by Beta, some sort of unusual "genetic drift" that has the doctors at home base nervous.. but what does it mean? Doubtful we'll ever find out.. still, the eps since it went off of ABC have been better then the ones that aired. They just didn't get to the meat of the story fast enough in this show.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
Well, one more to go, and this one left it on a nice cliffhanger with memories of the earlier Mars mission.

I hope that they've at least wrapped up some of the story with the last episode, since it's not looking super likely that this will be returning.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
If ABC had used episode 9 as the cutoff, it might have created enough interest that the fan base would have become more vocal. (or at least given some closure to a story line) It wouldn't have been a bad mid-season break either.

As for episode 11 - "Solitary" - there was way too much "Soap Opera" and way too little "Science Fiction" for me. (which means Jane and Joe Mainstream would have loved it)

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
"Might have..." While satisfying to think so, the ratings for the show were so poor that no amount of clamor from the small number of us who were fans of the show would probably have amounted to much.

It seems that every so often the networks give fan response a chance to justify a renewal. CBS got burned with Jericho, so figure that that has poisoned the pool for five or six years. After that, perhaps they'll give us another shot at reviving a show that was clearly DOA.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Interesting end. Kind of a real cliffhanger since we know what we know. Would probably be much better as a book, honestly.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
What do you mean by we know what we know? That didn't feel at all to me like it finished an initial order. Rather, it felt like what it was -- an abrupt terminaton.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Well, all we know is that the objects are putting humans on trials to complete their journeys. The parallel to Job was pretty apt.

I think it's something that would work better in a book

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
It's something that might even work (but with, likely, a smaller audience) in a comic series.

It was a good final episode, and I definitely enjoyed the series.

Too bad it's all gone now.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Whoops. I spoke too soon. The last one I saw was episode 12, where they land on Venus, but there's an episode 13 ("Kiss").

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, I think most of us are thinking of her

Risking her life to save the "baby", Donner finding out she had an abortion/he was the father, and the crew coming to a consensus that each mission would be made a test of their faith.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks