What's new

ABC's new Defying Gravity (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Originally Posted by Brian^K

No offense, but Jericho sucked after the first season. It should never have been brought back.
You're referring to the US (CBS) series Jericho, isn't it?

Not that splendid BBC one?

Cees

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Given the context and content of Jim's message (he mentioned "apocalypse type shows"), I believe we can indeed assume he's referring to the US series.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by JimKr

I gotta say I like apocalypse type shows also and I'm still licking my wounds over Jericho, a show that should have lasted another season or 3.
By the way, you might be interested in knowing that the creators of Jericho are continuing the story in comic book form. I saw
http://previewsworld.com/public/default.asp?t=6&m=1&c=23&s=126&sn=402032

If the info isn't in an existing Jericho thread I'll have to post it there as well.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed last night's episode on ABC. For a summertime series it was interesting. There was more mystery about Beta and what it is doing to the crew. The flashbacks did provide more insight into some of the crew, their backgrounds, and their relationships.

Heim

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
I'm only watching this because it's the biggest train wreck of a space show I've ever seen. You missed the best part. The video phone communications back to the base are in real time. They have figured out how to send transmissions instantaneouslyhttp://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkm8RJ...KJDief68JkO20mAAAAA%40%40&fr2=sp-qrw-corr-top through long distances of space. It is my guess that whatever dimension they are sending these communications through to get it there so quick, is the same one the demon comes from.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Originally Posted by Heim /forum/thread/291159/abc-s-new-defying-gravity#post_3595796

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Instantaneous communication has been a sci-fi topic in literature for a long time.
There have been actual experiments that demonstrate paired particles (?) that seem to mirror each other with no delay even when separated; so there is some basis for real-time conversations.

I don't know if I buy the nano-fiber attraction, but trying to film weightlessness would be very cumbersome and detract from the telling of any stories.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Steve Berger

Instantaneous communication has been a sci-fi topic in literature for a long time.
There have been actual experiments that demonstrate paired particles (?) that seem to mirror each other with no delay even when separated; so there is some basis for real-time conversations.

I don't know if I buy the nano-fiber attraction, but trying to film weightlessness would be very cumbersome and detract from the telling of any stories.
You have to get around weightlessness one way or another - through rotation, Minbari/Vorlon technology, strapping them in or some other explanation - in this case the nano-fiber attraction. Otherwise, you'd bust your budget right there. As far as the real-time conversations - as they travel further away from the Earth it would get worse for current technology and if they wanted to deal with that, they could have some interesting plots involving this. If they have some advanced technology that makes it happen, great. I am more interested in the story and the mysteries therein than the details. It is not as if they are promoting this as "the most realistic space adventure ever!"

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
I am enjoying this show quite a bit. Unfortunately, as the recent ratings have shown, it is not long in life. The reality shows are just killing it.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilO
I am more interested in the story and the mysteries therein than the details.
This is really a very critical point. While there are some people who love "the details", there are far more of us who just care about the story. More and more I believe we'll see all networks focusing more those things that drive the audience profiles that best serve the network's owners' best interests, rather than pursuing any other goal.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Has it been explained that they have some type of magnetic boots which allows unfettered walking. If not, how is it that they walk around the ship normally but when the crew member hurled the contents traveled outward straight across the room, rather than a distinctly downward arc.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams

Has it been explained [what] allows unfettered walking.
Yes, they made some reference to special fibers in their uniforms.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm halfway through the 4th episode and I don't know if I like or dislike this show.

They explained why the hair lays down with the hairspray that has the magnetic bits.

One thing did strike me. This show seems to be channeling the film Solaris. I never saw the original Russian one, except bits and pieces of it on PBS once. I did see the Clooney version. So perhaps there's some inspiration from that story. What do you guys think? If you're still watching.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
I really, really hate the grade school monologues (or more like pre-school) to explain technology. I was hoping that Paula Puke would end up in a permanent coma. I will have to time her bits and see if I can program a corresponding skip into my media player.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Echos of Solaris - interesting thought. I definitely see parallels.

We got enough about the gravity situation last night.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This show fell into the oblivion of "completely unwatchable" after H2IK, which I get is something like: Hell (2?) if I know but, the show itself was so damn boring it should have been: H2IC, Hell if I Care

I have no idea where this is going, and I don't know if the writers ever did.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I think you're overthinking it. My wife and I enjoyed the episode a lot. It's a great show.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by mattCR
I have no idea where this is going, and I don't know if the writers ever did.
I'd think that you not knowing where it is going would be a good thing. You don't want everything to be predictable, do you? As far as the writers knowing, everything appears to be relatively consistent to me so far. I'm enjoying it and will continue watching it.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
While it makes dramatic sense to see him get rid of the baseball, it was completely irresponsible to just throw it into space. You just shouldn't leave projectiles in space like that. The time capsule was bad enough (which was retrieved anyway and I am assuming that there was a transponder or something on that) ... Oh, well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks