What's new

ABC develops Geico Cavemen sitcom (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Honestly, I thought it was pretty decent. Not spectacular or anything. I'll watch it if I happen to be in front of the tube when it's on.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens

try watching the original Atlanta pilot.
There's one scene where the cavemen are at a party and money is stolen and everyone looks at the cavemen.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Just finished watching, and not only was I shocked that I liked it, I thought it was better than all the other new sitcoms this year. I thought the roommate was hilarious, but then again, I have a fondness in my heart for snark. I was really surprised at how well written it was, and the performances were all pitch perfect.

Maybe I was expecting too little and was taken off guard, but I thought it was a homerun.

Joe S

Second Unit
I didn't think it was that great. We'll have to see how the second episode shapes up, but I have a feeling the series might see an early demise.

So, where are the Cavewomen?

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Apparently, Usagi Yojimbo comics will be featured at some point in the series:

I was looking for these comics while watching the pilot. If I'm so bored by a show's plot that I am looking for comic books in the background, that is not a good sign.

Joe:C

Second Unit
I liked the first episode. It sounded like a dumb idea when it was first announced, but after watching it the other night I thought it was okay. Not sure how long the premise will hold up, but I'll be watching the next episode.

Matt_Vaudrin

Stunt Coordinator
I watched this show last night, I missed the premiere.

My question is this, What makes them Cavemen?

To me they seemed like normal people, just with more hair than most people have. It seemed like all they had to do was get a haircut and shave and they'd be normal people.

What makes them "Cavemen"?

Basically it's just another typical sitcom about a group of friends and they're trying to set it apart by giving them long hair and calling them cavemen.

I won't be watching anymore of this waste of time.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I think the point is, they are just guys in caveman makeup. Most people accept them, and they act like most people, so the premise is not being used very much. They could have gone the Munsters, "we didn't know you guys were around" angle, and it might have been better. They did play on the caveman thing a little last night with the woman who was scared, but that was resolved in a pretty outlandish way.

There were a couple of laughs to be had.

"You're like a bear, roaring, eating honey, stealing pies from windows."

"I think you're describing a hobo."

Later, a reference to a hobo bear.

Small laughs, but laughs. I'm glad there's no laugh track. I have learned quickly how much better sitcoms can be when the writers aren't playing to some fictional studio audience.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

I totally agree. I'll likely keep watching if it continues to not suck.

I think it'll continue as a fairly mundane sitcom, but with little caveman-related touches where they can fit 'em in. I thought the ending of the second episode, where they scared away the girl, was pretty funny.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I guess this show is right in time too, as one of the HOT Halloween costumes this year is a Geico Caveman, next to High School Musiclal Characters and the Burker King guy(which freaks me out)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Lots of laughs for me tonight. There is a loose, improvisational style to the show that I enjoy, but the lack of setup and punchline may dismay some viewers. Other than The Bionic Woman, this is the new show that I look forward to the most.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Last night's episode was good without reservation for a change. It's a show I won't cry over if it's canceled, but I plan to ride the Joel train for the foreseeable future. Speaking of Joel, does he remind anyone of a caveman Scott Bakula?

Holy mackeral! I just read that Joel is played by the guy who played Johnson in the Raisin Bran commercials! You know, the guy who couldn't hear his manager firing him over the sound of chewing the cereal. Weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks