What's new

ABC changing the running time of several shows (1 Viewer)

GordonL

Supporting Actor
FYI, DirecTiVo's guide is showing the new times so season passes should catch the complete episodes. I would still pad just in case though.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I see this thread ran off and got sidetracked. It was a never a question of padding, but a problem with changing the channel when 9PM came around to watch/Tivo something else, because 'Lost' would not be over yet.

Glenn

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Fortunately, Tivo had the correct guide data, and I didn't have anything else set to record at 8PM (when the show is normally over here), so everything went OK. At least ABC announced the time change early enough for it to be implemented in the guide, AND they stuck to the new times. Unlike NBC who, even after announcing the times, don't stick to them!

/Mike

GordonL

Supporting Actor
I deleted Lost from my Tivo before checking, but, was there any content besides the commercials, credits, and scenes for next week's episodes in the last minute?

Yeah, NBC was horrible with sticking to the schedule. I remember Friends running 2 or 3 minutes past when they were supposed to end.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I decided to watch Lost real-time on the high-def feed this week. The "previously on Lost" stuff started at two minutes before the hour, but the new content only started a few seconds before the hour. Everything (I think including credits) was done before the hour ended. The extra minute was just full of commercials as far as I can remember.

In other words, change the start and end times back, TiVo!

Brad

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
But the standard broadcast didn't work that way. Ok, I do remember what happened last week so I don't need a recap and I can do without the end credits, (even though they have next week's plot embeddded in it), but it still ran 1 minute over an hour. The extra minute was with more commercials in the middle, and they do make more revenue from that, but only if we keep watching!

If the first hour commercial rates are higher than the 2nd hour of prime time, some advertiser is getting screwed (and in the end, WE are paying for it)!

Glenn

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
CBS has been doing this with Raymond this year; I finally "solved" the problem by adjusting the DVR to record the entire one hour block (since I needed "Two-and-a-half-Men" anyway).

The DVR provided by our cable company can record three "streams" at the same time, so the overlaps don't hurt as long as I know about them ahead of time.

It's still more of a hassle than it needs to be, though!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Or you could just watch the every-other-Saturday reruns, which seem to be sixty minutes even (same goes for the Saturday runs of Desperate Housewives).

Don Black

Screenwriter
According to my ReplayTV, ABC stopped the Saturday showing of DH. I didn't check to see if Lost was still being re-aired though.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Huh, mine still had it as of last night. I know Lost was advertising "encores" for Saturday this week.

I hope it's still going on; it has taken a certain amount of pressure of my Replay. If only something from the upcoming Tuesday 9pm logjam would have similar encores...

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I had my Tivo set to record Lost last night (at their new 1 hour & 1 minute), but it didn't start at all! I noticed it and forced it to record NOW, and then it stopped (without me doing anything, at 1 minute after the hour (it had only recorded 56 minutes)

At any rate, I'm going for Saturday's too. They have last week's and this week's episodes on back to back. Maybe they'll do the same for Housewives next week, and swap them off. That wouldn't be bad.

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks