What's new

ABBOTT & COSTELLO dvds and "...Meet Captain Kidd" (coming to DVD?) (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
"Troma has released AFRICA SCREAMS/JACK AND THE BEANSTALK.

Both films have been restored by The Roan Group and these are the best versions available currently on DVD."

Oh boy, that REALLY annoys me. Roan had nothing to do with those video transfers. I found the original 35mm materials and produced those laser disc editions for Image Entertainment in the early 90's. The only thing Roan/Troma did was copy my transfers off the laser.

There's nothing I can do about it, because the films are public domain. But I spent a great deal of time and expense to locate those 35mm elements, and I wish they would give credit where it's due.

Bob Furmanek

P.S. - They did the same thing with my 35mm transfers of THE DEVIL BAT and SCARED TO DEATH, originally released on laser by Lumivision.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I'm going to borrow the office's P-Touch labelmaker and add Bob's credit to the cover of the Roan/Troma discs.
;)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
That's very nice Pete, but a little royalty payment would be even better...:frowning:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Well, if that's the case, I'll just keep my LD!!!
And I've said it before, thank you Bob for all the wonderful work you have done for LD.
Your hard work at restoring our favorites has made our viewing days very enjoyable.
I'm going to start switching them to DVD-r so they will last a bit longer! :D

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
You're most welcome John, and I'm glad that you enjoyed my efforts. It was truly a pleasure mastering these fine films from 35mm materials.

Bob

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Bob,

I don't know if you would have more information than the rest of us, but do you have any idea if Universal is going to release a Volume 4 of the A&C series? The lack of any announcement or even concrete rumors causes concern that they've dropped the series.

I would like to think that the hold-up is due to efforts to settle the "It Ain't Hay" rights issue, but that would be too good to be true.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Steve...what is the issue with this movie?
Hi Dave,

This movie was based on a Damon Runyan story and the Runyan Estate still owns the rights to the story. Depending on which story you hear, either the Estate point blank refuses to allow any legitimate home video release of this movie or Universal is unwilling to pay what the Estate is asking for in terms of compensation.

I've never seen the movie, but it does have an interesting cast (Eugene Pallette, Shemp Howard, Cecil Kellaway).

Steve

Page

Stunt Coordinator
Oh boy, that REALLY annoys me. Roan had nothing to do with those video transfers. I found the original 35mm materials and produced those laser disc editions for Image Entertainment in the early 90's. The only thing Roan/Troma did was copy my transfers off the laser. There's nothing I can do about it, because the films are public domain. But I spent a great deal of time and expense to locate those 35mm elements, and I wish they would give credit where it's due.

Bob Furmanek
My apologies if I stated the wrong information, Bob. I was only going by what is included on the Roan literature on and in the packaging. You certainly did a very impressive job with these films and you CERTAINLY deserve the credit for doing such outstanding work.

(I can send a letter to the Roan/Troma Group and bug them about sending you some royalties, but having dealt with Troma in the past, I don't expect I'll get much, if any, response.)

I hope your talent is being respected and well-compensated if you have any current projects.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thanks very much Page, and I appreciate your comments. Writing to Troma would be pointless. I don't expect they would be willing to send any payment for the work I did a decade ago, but thanks for the thought!

Besides, I have more of a problem with Roan taking credit for my work. Cary Roan knows better.

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
ABBOTT & COSTELLO ON DVD

With the release of two new A&C DVDs from MGM this week, it seems like as good a time as any to review what’s available (and what’s not) from one of the most popular teams in movie history.

Back in the early days of DVD, Universal licensed a bunch of 1930s-’40s comedies to Image Entertainment for release in the new home viewing format, including several Mae West and Bob Hope/Bing Crosby pictures. Five Abbott & Costello “service comedies” were part of the deal, including BUCK PRIVATES (1941), IN THE NAVY (1941), KEEP ’EM FLYING (1941), BUCK PRIVATES COME HOME (1947), and ABBOTT & COSTELLO IN THE FOREIGN LEGION (1950). Originally retailing for $30 but later cut to $10, they were followed by official Universal releases of ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948) and ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET THE MUMMY (1955). Both of the latter titles are still in print, and MEET FRANKENSTEIN contains a welcome wagonload full of bonus material.

In addition to those Universal releases, two independently-produced films are now in the public domain, and available from a number of sources: AFRICA SCREAMS (1949) and JACK AND THE BEANSTALK (1952). The GoodTimes releases are the best I’ve seen.

Last year, Universal began releasing the Abbott & Costello films from their vaults in chronological order (pretty much) in low-cost “Franchise Collections”. The current SRP is $20, but many online retailers, such as Amazon, have them for $15 or less. The films look terrific, and most include trailers and background notes. Here are the titles released to date:

Franchise Collection Vol. 1: ONE NIGHT IN THE TROPICS (1940); BUCK PRIVATES (1941); IN THE NAVY (1941); HOLD THAT GHOST (1941); KEEP ‘’EM FLYING (1941); RIDE ’EM COWBOY (1942); PARDON MY SARONG (1942); and WHO DONE IT? (1942).

Franchise Collection Vol. 2: HIT THE ICE (1943); IN SOCIETY (1944); HERE COME THE CO-EDS (1945); THE NAUGHTY NINETIES (1945); LITTLE GIANT (1946); THE TIME OF THEIR LIVES (1946); BUCK PRIVATES COME HOME (1947); THE WISTFUL WIDOW OF WAGON GAP (1947).

Franchise Collection Vol. 3: ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948); MEXICAN HAYRIDE (1948); ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET THE KILLER, BORIS KARLOFF (1949); ABBOTT & COSTELLO IN THE FOREIGN LEGION (1950); ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET THE INVISIBLE MAN (1951); COMIN’ ROUND THE MOUNTAIN (1951); LOST IN ALASKA (1952); ABBOTT & COSTELLO GO TO MARS (1953).

As mentioned, two of team’s films away from Universal were released on DVD this week by MGM, which currently holds the rights: THE NOOSE HANGS HIGH (1948) and their screen swansong, DANCE WITH ME, HENRY (1956). Both look excellent.

What’s not yet available on DVD?

Universal also holds the rights to ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET DR. JEKYLL & MR. HYDE (1953); ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET THE KEYSTONE KOPS (1955); and the compilation film THE WORLD OF ABBOTT & COSTELLO (1965). In addition, Universal produced IT AIN’T HAY (1943), but the rights to the story are tied up by the Damon Runyon estate.

Their MGM films are owned by Warner Bros., which plans an A&C boxed set for some time in the future. It would include RIO RITA (1942); LOST IN A HAREM (1944); and ABBOTT & COSTELLO IN HOLLYWOOD (1945). Warners also owns ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET CAPTAIN KIDD (1952). Columbia owns Lou Costello’s solo starrer, THE 30 FOOT BRIDE OF CANDY ROCK (1959).

In addition to the film roles, Abbott & Costello appeared many times on the Colgate Comedy Hour, and many of the episodes are available on various PD DVDs. They also starred in a popular TV show for two years, THE ABBOTT & COSTELLO SHOW. All of the episodes of that series are now available on DVD from original 35mm, and look terrific. The discs generally contain 2 episodes from the first season and 2 from the second. Finally, note that GoodTimes also offers a DVD called ABBOTT & COSTELLO IN THE MOVIES, that features trailers for nearly all their films, outtakes, stills, and bonus footage. Quality varies.

Let me know if I forgot anything…

BrianRi

Stunt Coordinator
Abbott and Costello also appeared once on tv on "The Steve Allen Show" shortly before they broke up, and after the break-up Costello appeared solo on Allen's show a number of times (six or seven, I believe). I doubt Allen's show will make it to dvd, but I've been surprised before, so hopefully...

And Costello was the honoree on an episode of "This Is Your Life", which Abbott also appeared on. That episode is included in the recently released TIYL box set.

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
Incidentally, although not mentioned in the packaging, DANCE WITH ME, HENRY includes the original theatrical trailer, in which Bud & Lou do a few lines of "Who's on First"!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
In addition to those Universal releases, two independently-produced films are now in the public domain, and available from a number of sources: AFRICA SCREAMS (1949) and JACK AND THE BEANSTALK (1952). The GoodTimes releases are the best I’ve seen.
LaurenceGarvey-

What other versions of Africa Screams have you seen? The Troma/Roan one (with the transfer stolen from Bob Furmanek's LD master) looks the best to me of the four versions I have had on DVD. But, I haven't seen the GoodTimes version.

DaveK

Second Unit
I'm surprised Warner doesn't own the rights to Jack and the Beanstalk, and they should clean up Abbott and Costello meet Captain Kidd.

Has Universal's legal department tried working on getting the rights to It Ain't Hay since the releases of the box sets? Has any restoration work been done on it?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Once again, I was the first one to master AFRICA SCREAMS and JACK AND THE BEANSTALK from 35mm source materials. All the DVD's available which are good quality (Roan/Troma, Goodtimes, etc.) were copied from the laser discs which I produced for Image Entertainment. If you want these films out in the best possible 35mm quality (with loads of extras - including outtakes) I suggest you contact Bruce Venezia at Image Entertainment.

Bob Furmanek

SteveJKo

Second Unit
Does anyone know, is buying the Abbott & Costello sets the only way to get certain titles? I would love to get "Hold That Ghost" and "The Time Of Their Lives" but I can't find them for sale on their own, just in the sets.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
The two titles you mention are only available through the sets. But as I'm sure many will tell you, they're a good bargain and you can get 8 films for relatively little - $20 - $25. Of course, I also understand not wanting "extra movies" around, too.

SteveJKo

Second Unit
I had no idea the sets were this cheap! Am I correct in assuming the quality is quite good in spite of the low price?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks