What's new

ABBA: The Movie on DVD (1 Viewer)

Nick Beecham

Auditioning
Niko/Claus

Many thanks - I look forward to your next posts.

..and PLEASE can you confirm that the layer change is not in the middle of Treat Him Well He is Your Brother!

All the best
Nick

Claus Nielsen

Stunt Coordinator
There is no pal speed-up issue. I've compared "The Name of the Game" and the cd actually is a little faster.

According to imdb the runtime is 96 min. The runtime of the dvd is 95:15.

The only bad thing about this dvd is the layer change which is in the middle of "Why Did It Have To Be Me" however I won't replace it with the Canadian edition with little or no extras.

John J Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
On the subject of mastering, has anyone noticed any glitches on the R2 disc?

I am on my second copy - both have choked at the following points, all in the middle of songs - sometimes resulting in a momentary sound drop-out (although the DTS flag on my amp stays on), other times resulting in the picture jumping.

21'44" - He Is Your Brother
35'13" - Rock Me
53'44" - Why Did It Have To Be Me
58'29" - When I Kissed The Teacher
67'41" - I'm A Marionette

J.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Just ordered from Canada as well,damned shipping charges were 9+ canadian dollar. Anyone knows the current exchange rate?

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I got mine from amazon Canada. The charges were:

CAD$19.16 for the movie
CAD$09.98 for shipping/handling
CAD$29.14 total

Breaking it down to day's exchange rate (1 USD = 1.17125 CAD):

$16.36 for the movie
$08.52 for shipping handling
$24.87 total, in US Dollars at today's exchange rate

It seems expensive, but when you realize you're getting something from another country that's not available here, and it's still less than $25...that's not too bad.

I haven't watched this one yet - it's a Christmas present for the wife.

Harry

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I am going to order ABBA: The Movie in Feb. when the new Doctor Who comes out on DVD in Canada. Kill 2 birds with 1 order.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
A bit off topic, but I joined the ABBA Fan Club earlier this year. My current issue of the fan club mag came today, but the envelope felt really stiff. Opening it up I found a great Christmas surprise: a limited edition CD single (just over 1600 pressed, mine is #1066) with the live versions of Super Trouper and On and On and On from the Dick Cavett Special! I haven't posted images before, so I am going to play around with it awhile...hopefully I can post a copy of the sleeve later tonight.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
From the current edition of Entertainment Weekly (The Best of 2005 issue):

In the best/worst DVDs of '05 section is this item in the sidebar:
Biggest Disappointment
ABBA: The Movie getting yanked from the schedule before its planned DVD debut.

Glad to see someone there has great taste!

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
We watched this one the other day. Lot's of fun, but the 5.1 sound is a bit wacky. When the movie is in "story" mode, the sound is nice and centered at a somewhat normal level, and when the concert portions kick in, the surround channels go wild and the vocals are extremely echoe-y sounding and LOUD. I need to check out the stereo track to see if it's better and/or more balanced.

When I first put it on, the image was a small centered rectangle in the center of my HDTV. I thought that maybe it wasn't anamorphic, until a few minutes in when the screen widened to its 2.xx:1 width.

All in all, I'm thrilled to have this Canadian R0 NTSC version of DVD. Thanks Canada!

Harry

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator
Now the praying begins... ABBA The Movie is quickly turning into ABBA's equivelent of the David Gilmour Band's P.U.L.S.E.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I don't wish to sound a killjoy, but weren't there plans at one stage to include the full concert footage on the DVD, separate from the rather tedious and dated footage of the reporter etc?

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
It is out. Even saw it at Best Buy in the DVD music video section. I got it from Amazon. The music is louder than the diolog, but not a bad DVD for $14.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks