What's new

A Volume Question and My Thoughts On DTS (1 Viewer)

Rich Corle

Stunt Coordinator
Well, as I've been watching movies on my home theater for about 6 months now, I've made many changes and discovered many things. The thing that always seems to get me is volume importance. Now I know all DVD's are recorded at different volume levels but I wanted to know if my system is accurately playing them at the right volumes. Give me some examples. Here is some examples of the volumes I listen to my movies on on my system:

Predator DTS - 45

Gladitor - 48

T2 DTS - 48

Saving Private Ryan DTS - 48

Cast Away DTS - 48

Jaws DTS - 50

Terminator: SE 5.1 - 50

Forrest Gump - 52

Does this seem about right? Predator is the loudest DVD on my setup. Anyway, I've also tried to figure out differences in DD and DTS. What I've come up with are major differences in bass clarity. As I watch titles like Cast Away, Saving Private Ryan, Jurassic Park or whatever in DTS I think the main difference lies in the bass. For example, in Cast Away in the plane crash scene my sub is rumbling and shaking almost out of control in DD, almost feeling like an earthquake. However, switching to DTS I get deep, low clear bass tones and none of the out of control rumbling of the Dolby Digital. I've noticed this on many titles also. Give me your thoughts on both my volumes and my thoughts on DTS. Thanks.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
It seems like DTS is louder on my system too. It just seems like the bass hit's harder and louder with the DTS tracks. The only complaint I got from my apt complex was when I was watching U571 in DTS.

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Rich,
The volume question is a little tough for me to answer as it is very subjective and with too many variables. Are your numbers the actual numbers on the receiver or a measurement of sound pressure? It might also depend on how the levels of your system are set when compared to other receivers. The center channel can also make a big difference. Before I upgraded to my Signet LCR for center channel duties I had to crank the volume (or center level) to hear a dialog driven movie. That is no longer the case as my center channel is perfectly clear at almost any volume. It also measures 7.5 X 24 X 14 and weighs more then 32 lbs :)
I completely agree with your opinions on DTS although I also hear improvements outside of the bass frequencies. When I listen to a DTS track it feels like my system is tighter, cleaner and more refined. Less muddy then when compared to DD. An overall improvement in HT experience…in my opinion.
Thanks,
Jeff

Rich Corle

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, these measurements are from the actual reciever. I too noticed the same things about DTS you mentioned. Anyway, I sometimes have problems with dialogue, but not often.

Rich Corle

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, these measurements are from the actual reciever. I too noticed the same things about DTS you mentioned. Anyway, I sometimes have problems with dialogue, but not often. Will turning up the center channel ruin the balance of the system?

Jimmy P

Stunt Coordinator
Dolby and DTS have a dual going on regarding some of the things mentioned in your post.

Differences in channel sound levels,dialog normalization,

lfe channel response,compression, etc.

You can read about it if interested,its still posted on the DTS site,i think Dolby still has info on their site as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks