What's new

A Turtle's Tale 2: Sammy's Escape From Paradise: THE HTF ADDICT 3D REVIEW (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
What can I say? I love 3D! From the moment I began watching 3D content in my home I quickly discovered that I needed more content. I suspect that those of you just purchasing your first 3D hardware will acquire the same ferocious appetite. That's why I became the HTF 3D ADDICT. I personally love images that pop off the screen and come inches away from your face without becoming overly gimmicky. However, I certainly appreciate the nature documentaries that offer beautiful depth and separation. These are not necessarily reviews of the film themselves. I am not going to concentrate on story or supplements -- you can find the 2D reviews elsewhere on this forum. My job is to let you know exactly what kind of 3D experience to expect from the titles that are being released. As I will be receiving a handful of new product from the studios expect to see more title coverage.

A Turtle's Tale 2:
Sammy's Escape From Paradise

Studio: Vivendi Entertainment
Product Release: January 9, 2013
Ratio: 1.78:1
Audio: English & Spanish DTS HD-MA
Running Time: 93 minutes
Rating: NR

On A Scale 0-5

Overall 3D Presentation Rating: 5
3D Separation: 5
3D In Yo' Face Factor: 5

"We're going to get out of here. All of us."

To this date, the original A Turtle's Tale: Sammy's Adventures, stands as one of the
finest and most impressive 3D presentations that you can find anywhere. Unfortunately,
for those of us here in the United States, it can only be obtained as an import and will only
play on a region-free 3D Blu-ray player.

I had known for quite some time that a sequel, A Turtle's Tale 2, had been released a
few months ago and was available domestically. I had held off considering a purchase
because I wasn't certain it would live up to the original. Several HTF members recently
assured me it would, so I made effort to get a copy rushed to my home so I could preview
it on my newly purchased 3D display.

Does it live up to the original? It nearly does, and I'll talk all about that in just a few
moments....

A Turtle's Tale 2: Sammy's Escape From Paradise picks up several years after the
original. As the story begins, Sammy and Rae are attempting to protect a group of
young hatchlings from bothersome, hungry, seagulls. However, the bigger predators
turn out to be a group of fishermen who net and capture our group of turtle friends,
transporting them to a large aquarium/restaurant known as, "The Tank." It is a place
where humans collect a wide assortment of other fish for the amusement of patrons
who come to wine and dine in the underwater facility.

Now inside this huge, concealed tank, Sammy and Rae are trying to find a means of
escape so that they may be reunited with their grandchildren. However, in doing so,
they have to contend with "Big-D," a mob boss seahorse who is not particularly in a
hurry to see himself or the other assorted fish freed.

Whereas the original film's merits were 3D over substance, the exact opposite can
be said about the sequel. Here, the story is far more thrilling, better paced, and has
an assortment of engaging (but highly clichéd) characters. The film is also totally void
of the preachy conservative issues of the original.

I am proud to say that A Turtle's Tale 2 stands as one of the better animated 3D titles
available. The film's animation is beautiful and the 3D does a perfect job of opening up
your display as if it were a living aquarium. This is in thanks to a razor sharp transfer that
provides the most minute levels of detail within the animation. Colors are quite intense and
well defined, never becoming over-saturated. Depth goes deep here, opening up the undersea
world with an intensified level of spaciousness. What is very common throughout the
presentation is the sense of size between the different species of fish -- especially in many
of the wider shots. My favorite character is "Big-D," a seahorse with a big ego, but so
small in size, that he stands out on his own among the larger eels that surround and
protect him.

Anyone expecting the level of pop-out that elevated the original film to best pop-out 3D
demo disc available, are going to find themselves fairly pleased with sequel.

The good news is that there is indeed a good share of pop-out to be enjoyed in this
presentation, particularly with the seahorse, "Big-D," who often floats into the open space
that separates display and viewer. There are multitudes of times that characters poke their
noses, claws or fins forward. There's even a point in the film where gummy snacks are thrusted
upwards and outwards at the audience.

My only complaint is that the level of pop-out is a bit less intensified than the original film.
The reason why A Turtle's Tale still remains the reference for pop-out, is because it characters
moved farther out of the display, stopping inches before the viewer's eyewear. That level of
intensity is somewhat scaled back here. Objects come out of the screen, but not so much forward.
There's more pop-out in this sequel, but I think overall, the original film still does it the best.

Sonically, A Turtle's Tale 2 is a delight for the senses. The lossless mix is active
with lots of effects that emerge from every direction. Overall dynamic range is quite
excellent. Most notable to the listening experience is its usage of popular music
that range from The Clash, The B52's and even Jimi Hendrix. The rest of the score
features the music of Darius Rucker, lead singer of Hootie and the Blowfish. I was
pleased to find LFE support beneath the soundtrack, which become even more
elevated with the sound of thuds as a hammerhead shark banged his way against
an escape door.

The 2-Disc set sports the 3D and 2D feature on a single Blu-ray with a separate
DVD in tow. There are no included extras.

CONCLUSION

A Turtle's Tale 2: Sammy's Escape from Paradise does not disappoint when it comes
to 3D pop-out gimmickry. Just be aware that it is somewhat less intensified than the original
film. Thankfully, the story and animation is appealing enough that this becomes an enjoyable
sit-through even for us adults. Anyone looking for a demo disc to show off to their friends should
plan on picking up this release. It will certainly end up on my list of Top 3D Releases, and as such,
I would absolutely recommend a purchase.

Images are for illustrative purpose only not representative of the picture quality of this disc.

Equipment

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 THX Certified 3D display
Oppo BDP-93 3D Blu-ray Player
Denon 3311CI Receiver
Atlantic Technology H-PAS AT-1 fronts, 4400 center; 4200 rear speakers
SV Sound Subwoofer

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Note:

I am struggling with 3D issues that may be plaguing my new display.

My review above has been revised, as initially, I was not getting the proper
intensity of depth or pop-out.

The revision now properly represents what the viewer can expect to see.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Would like to offer some information for those who may be interested:
Regarding the original Sammy:
the original A Turtle's Tale: Sammy's Adventures, .......... will only play on a region-free 3D Blu-ray player.
There are different import versions available that are authored with different region coding.
The (Hong Kong version) where the disc is authored in Taiwan and tiled as: Sammys Adventures: The Secret Passage 3D, UPC# 4-895033-773122, has Region-A Blu-ray 3D capability and will not require a region-free Blu-ray 3D player for playback in the U.S. ;)

Re: Sammy 2. The U.S. version has a different Title song on the English sound track that is sung at the beginning of the movie. The original Title song is present on the English track of the Taiwan authored Region-A Hong Kong version. The song was probably replaced for Belgium copyright reasons, and the same for the difference of the BD 3D's title printed on the disc and case.
Personally, my favorite song of the two versions is the original "English" (Hong Kong version), because it also has the same melody score throughout the background music on both versions, domestic & imports. :)

Paul

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Also if you have access to NF streaming 3D you can see the first movie there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks