What's new

A Sneak Peek at Zulu and Khartoum (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
haineshisway said:
All Twilight Time Blu-rays are only available through Screen Archives Entertainment - they also list on amazon in the US but at a higher price - best to buy direct.
Aren't they also available through TCM Shop at about $5 more than Screen Archives Entertainment, though, they don't ship outside of USA?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
haineshisway said:
All Twilight Time Blu-rays are only available through Screen Archives Entertainment - they also list on amazon in the US but at a higher price - best to buy direct.

Sorry - I should've been more specific - I was asking about the earlier UK release, the one that's being compared to Twilight Time's version.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
cineMANIAC said:
Just tried to search for Khartoum on Amazon UK and it didn't turn it except for some old DVDs. Is it a retailer exclusive (the new BD I mean)?
cineMANIAC said:
Sorry - I should've been more specific - I was asking about the earlier UK release, the one that's being compared to Twilight Time's version.

There is no other Blu-ray release of Khartoum aside from Twilight Time's upcoming version. The comparison discussion was around the two versions of Zulu, one of which was released back in 2008 in the UK.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Persianimmortal said:
There is no other Blu-ray release of Khartoum aside from Twilight Time's upcoming version. The comparison discussion was around the two versions of Zulu, one of which was released back in 2008 in the UK.

Oh, I see - thanks for clearing it up. I was sort of skimming through everyone's posts and didn't realize you guys are comparing Zulu. Will definitely grab Khartoum from TT.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
There was a vocal dissent about this BD being bad just like there was a vocal approval for this BD. How was I not being fair with my comment about "not in this lifetime" comment about the following:
It has always been my impression that not too many claimed that the UK version did not have some form of DNR but that they liked it despite acknowledging that "something" was going on.Maybe I am wrong about this as I don't usually go that much by what others write about discs and therefore I might not have read enough posts on the matter.So while I can see looking back that it could be read this way it was not my intention to call your post unfair, I just got a different impression of the course of discussions and my wording was off.I will say one more thing though: Threads about Blu-rays of Zulu are never boring, there is always something to discuss...

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Magnús Þorsteinn Magnússon said:
One thing.
Is the original 6-track 70mm audio lost?
It has long been thought to be lost. Logically, if it still existed it would be in the UK, owned by Paramount, and have been utilized for the UK Blu-ray, but it wasn't. This is often a consequence of a film having multiple owners in different territories of the world; the elements get moved around, left and forgotten wherever they were last sent. However, if film history has taught us anything, it is that things can turn up, so we would never rule out a sudden discovery. There were recent rumors that Paramount in Europe were considering revisiting the film in 2014 to coincide with the 50th anniversary, but those plans seem to be on hold.

N.

stevenHa

Second Unit
I course I can't wait to hear what Robert Harris has to say about the 2 versions of Zulu, but are the extras on the UK edition interesting enough to want to keep both for that reason ?

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
OliverK said:
It has always been my impression that not too many claimed that the UK version did not have some form of DNR but that they liked it despite acknowledging that "something" was going on.
It looks like a pretty good transfer of a 70mm film to me. I don't expect to see much grain with a large format.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I'm thinking Zulu is a bit late in shipping. The other two already started getting shipped earlier this week.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I've received "Khartoum" and it looks great! Not totally clean but still excellent. Large format grain structure and loads of detail! Epic in everything but length. The movie, of course, does remind me of LoA but not the cash-in sort of way. The scene with Gordon and Gladstone in the train station does remind me of the Allenby/Lawrence scenes from LoA - very,very fine work. The fantastic score stirs the blood. If you love excellent transfers of these BIG (2.76:1 AR) roadshow films, get it before it's gone.

Dubstar

Agent
Real Name
Jonathan Goeldner
Magnús Þorsteinn Magnússon said:
One thing.
Is the original 6-track 70mm audio lost?
from what I've been hearing Nick Redman states 6-track 70mm audio is 'lost' - that doesn't add up, since 'restored' 70mm prints were shown at both the AFI Silver and Film Society of Lincoln Center in 2012 (I saw and heard it at the former) and the original five front channel/mono surround mix was intact (and I'm pretty sure it was not the original mag sound but encoded DTS discs - which would suggest the original audio has been archived digitally).

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Does SAE stagger shipments on new releases? A number of people are reporting having received one or more of this month's Twilight Time titles, while I haven't even gotten a shipping notice -- and I ordered all four of them on day one. And wasn't the original target date next week? Not that that matters, I'm fine with early shipments! :) Just wondering.

Dubstar

Agent
Real Name
Jonathan Goeldner
I don't get that either Charles - I'm in the same boat as you - ordered day 1, live in DC which is a hop, skip and jump from them and still haven't received the discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks