1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Sneak Peek at Zulu and Khartoum

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by haineshisway, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Aren't they also available through TCM Shop at about $5 more than Screen Archives Entertainment, though, they don't ship outside of USA?

2. Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal Well-Known Member

Koroush Ghazi
  3. haineshisway

haineshisway Well-Known Member

Bruce
    I don't really count TCM Shop - more money and I always feel direct from the supplier is always better.

dana martin and ahollis like this.
  4. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Premium
    Supporter

Luis
    Sorry - I should've been more specific - I was asking about the earlier UK release, the one that's being compared to Twilight Time's version.

5. Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal Well-Known Member

Koroush Ghazi
    There is no other Blu-ray release of Khartoum aside from Twilight Time's upcoming version. The comparison discussion was around the two versions of Zulu, one of which was released back in 2008 in the UK.

6. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Premium
    Supporter

Luis
    Oh, I see - thanks for clearing it up. I was sort of skimming through everyone's posts and didn't realize you guys are comparing Zulu. Will definitely grab Khartoum from TT.

7. OliverK

OliverK Well-Known Member

It has always been my impression that not too many claimed that the UK version did not have some form of DNR but that they liked it despite acknowledging that "something" was going on.Maybe I am wrong about this as I don't usually go that much by what others write about discs and therefore I might not have read enough posts on the matter.So while I can see looking back that it could be read this way it was not my intention to call your post unfair, I just got a different impression of the course of discussions and my wording was off.I will say one more thing though: Threads about Blu-rays of Zulu are never boring, there is always something to discuss...

8. Magnús Þorsteinn Magnússon

One thing.
    Is the original 6-track 70mm audio lost?

9. Twilight Time

Twilight Time Insider
    Insider

Twilight Time
    It has long been thought to be lost. Logically, if it still existed it would be in the UK, owned by Paramount, and have been utilized for the UK Blu-ray, but it wasn't. This is often a consequence of a film having multiple owners in different territories of the world; the elements get moved around, left and forgotten wherever they were last sent. However, if film history has taught us anything, it is that things can turn up, so we would never rule out a sudden discovery. There were recent rumors that Paramount in Europe were considering revisiting the film in 2014 to coincide with the 50th anniversary, but those plans seem to be on hold.

N.

10. stevenHa

stevenHa Well-Known Member

I course I can't wait to hear what Robert Harris has to say about the 2 versions of Zulu, but are the extras on the UK edition interesting enough to want to keep both for that reason ?

11. bigshot

bigshot Well-Known Member

Stephen
    It looks like a pretty good transfer of a 70mm film to me. I don't expect to see much grain with a large format.

12. nara

nara Well-Known Member

Hugh
    See post #12.The negative is big, but not 70mm.

13. bigshot

bigshot Well-Known Member

Stephen
    Then it looks like a good transfer of a big negative.

nara likes this.
  14. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Looks like it's starting to ship according to an email from SAE.

15. JoHud

JoHud Well-Known Member

Joe Hudak
    I'm thinking Zulu is a bit late in shipping. The other two already started getting shipped earlier this week.

16. Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin Well-Known Member

Stanley
    I've received "Khartoum" and it looks great! Not totally clean but still excellent. Large format grain structure and loads of detail! Epic in everything but length. The movie, of course, does remind me of LoA but not the cash-in sort of way. The scene with Gordon and Gladstone in the train station does remind me of the Allenby/Lawrence scenes from LoA - very,very fine work. The fantastic score stirs the blood. If you love excellent transfers of these BIG (2.76:1 AR) roadshow films, get it before it's gone.

Reed Grele likes this.
  17. Dubstar

Dubstar Active Member

from what I've been hearing Nick Redman states 6-track 70mm audio is 'lost' - that doesn't add up, since 'restored' 70mm prints were shown at both the AFI Silver and Film Society of Lincoln Center in 2012 (I saw and heard it at the former) and the original five front channel/mono surround mix was intact (and I'm pretty sure it was not the original mag sound but encoded DTS discs - which would suggest the original audio has been archived digitally).

18. Dubstar

Dubstar Active Member

^ sorry that was referring to 'Khartoum' not 'Zulu'

19. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Does SAE stagger shipments on new releases? A number of people are reporting having received one or more of this month's Twilight Time titles, while I haven't even gotten a shipping notice -- and I ordered all four of them on day one. And wasn't the original target date next week? Not that that matters, I'm fine with early shipments! :) Just wondering.

20. Dubstar

Dubstar Active Member

I don't get that either Charles - I'm in the same boat as you - ordered day 1, live in DC which is a hop, skip and jump from them and still haven't received the discs.