What's new

A slow year? (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
As others has said, this has been a wonderful year for fans of older films. The first half of this year isn't even over and I think it's been the best that I can remember. Plus we've got all these other big titles coming in the second half so there's no way anything is slowing down IMO.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Let me try and explain this another way. When VHS first arrived on the market, I decided to make up a list of every movie that I wanted. By the end of the 1970's, it was just over 200.

I have not included this decade because none of them are catalog titles, and most of them have been released.

From 1935 through 1999, I have 509 movies on DVD, and I still want 132.
Counting DVD production years from 1998 to 2004 is 7 years or 72.7 per year.

I have added 17 this year, and I have release dates for 12 more. for a total of 29. That's 39% of my average for the last 7 years. That could go up to 50%, but I'm not expecting much more.

If my average from any of the last 7 years held, I'd be done next year, with a few to spare. If the current trend continues, It is going to take me 4 or 5 more years before they are out.

I think this is what the OP was getting at. I can only assume that if a studio was able to produce 1 million DVD's a month, then more than half of their current production is now tied up in TV series.

However, more and more DVD's are being made every year. (by UPC codes)
Increase from '97 - '98 326%
'98 - '99 165%
'99 - '00 136%
'00 - '01 157%
'01 - '02129%
'02 - '03 142%
'03 - '04 136%

If I would have brought 20 in 1998 (I had over 30) and kept up with the percentages, I'd have about 530 now.

I don't mind getting the TV titles too, but the studios are going to run themselves dry very soon. Since they are in this for the $$, then I must assume that the ones that are not out will probably never come out, and as soon as the TV series' are out, the only way that the studios will make any more $$ is to switch to HD, and start all over again.

We can nit-pick for weeks on what titles are good, or just so-so. I have both. I think everybody has both. If you favor old films (30's & 40's) then you could be having a good year, but all in all, movies on DVD is getting the short end of the stick.

Glenn

FrancisP

Screenwriter
There are a number of studios that have a huge number of
television shows that are available yet you can only release so many at a time. The inhibiting factors are the time it takes to create discs, shelf space and people's wallets. For example, Paramount owns Wild wild west, The Odd Couple, Mission Impossible, and I assume the later Lucy shows to name a few. Universal may be even deeper than Paramount. And if you count
the number of tv movies and miniseries, that would even grow.

Movies have not done very well for me at all. There have been some bright spots. The Jerry Lewis movies that Paramount released were long overdue. Warner did well with their John Wayne boxset and The Americanization of Emily.
Love to see more of Garner's movies. Universal showed up with Glass Bottom Boat and Bedtime For Bonzo. The majority of releases from June to September that interest me are tv shows.

The movies that I am watching are Race with the Devil,
High and the Mighty, Gumball Rally, Bela Lugosi Boxset,
Val Lewton Boxset, King Kong SE(?), War of the Worlds SE(hopefully Spielberg won't push it into 06), and some
re-released Godzilla films. I am also looking at 11 tv series coming out for sure.

Paul Borges

Stunt Coordinator
Glenn,

I guess it's the law of diminishing returns. Getting the last movies on a list is always going to take longer. I mean you have close to 80% of the movies you want already.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
That may very well be true, but some that aren't out did a lot better at the box office than some of the ones that I have on DVD already.

I've been trying to come up with a really accurate percentage list, but it going to take some time.

The simple way is that I had 30 in 1998, when only about 2000 DVD's had been released. Now there are 50,000 out, and that should give me 25 x 30, or 750. A far cry from what I have. I really wish that the studios would ask the public what movies they want put on DVD.

Glenn

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
I would disagree in saying that it has been a slow year, as there have been some pretty cool releases so far. The great thing is, many if not all of the "big" movies are out on dvd.
All in all, I would call this year the "I can't believe they released it on dvd, especially in OAR" year.
Sure, everyone expects Star Wars to come out on dvd in OAR. Honestly, I am more excited when they release obscure B movies, or catalogue movies in OAR, especially when I thought that I was the only one who wanted them on DVD. For example, I replaced many old VHS tapes with great new dvd's of some of my "old classics that no one likes" For example, I bought, Rhinestone, Dutch, Over the Top, Richie Rich, Paradise Alley, Snow White and the Three Stooges, and many others. It was so exciting for me to see these in OAR as many of them were never released in Widescreen on any format.
This is not to say that I was not excited for Star Wars. It is just that I had already seen it in Widescreen on my LD. It was just nice to get an Animorphic Transfer. However, I had never seen any of the aforemented movies in OAR before so that was a real treat for me. My Stallone collection is almost complete. hehehe. All I need is a widescreen version of F.I.S.T. and I'll be a happy camper. but with MGM gone, I am a little worried.

Anyway, all in all, I am really excited for the Fall as I will be spending all of my money on the great SE's. Thank god a huge chunk of them come out in September as I can write those off as Birthday gifts. hehehe.
-Mark

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Mark where did you buy Richie Rich? It doesnt come out till 7/12(so it doesnt qualify for the first half of the year).Im sure Anchor Bay is glad someone bought Rhinestone:D

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
In a way, I'm 'dvd'd out.' I bought the Pioneer DV500 the minute it came out in March 97 and ramped up my collection to well over 500 titles. I eagerly read the daily DVD Resource, Big Picture (where I was also a writer for awhile), and the Bits (now my fav).

I'm bored, and sold over 100 titles last week. Even the Bits bores me now with the upcoming releases...no slant against the Bits by any means; it is the one 'must-read' every day. I just take it as a sign I'm bored, and I even just bought a Sony 60 inch Grand Wega!

TV series? Really...how many times will you watch 24? Even ST TNG? I know its all personal choice, but rather than say it's been a slow year, I will say the year has found me dis-interested and waiting for the next thing...HD-DVD to give me that next rush as a collector.

Slowly, I expand my horizons...now into anime; just wish I knew where to go with it

I have a specially constructed HT room, a HT system comprised of a Denon 2803, all Paradigm speakers, a big booming sub and a fantastic display...and watching re-runs. Sigh.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, Peter ..... I think it's obvious you are more of home theatre techie than a besotted movie lover. It is only natural then that once the freshness of the latest gadget/format fades that you would get bored. Not a judgement, just an observation.

For us movie junkies, we have a bottomless appetite and the DVD format just can't keep up with the hunger.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
This may be the biggest year for DVD for me. Anybody who thinks that this is a slow year, obviously has no interest in classic films, or anything even slightly off the mainstream. I've purchased over 100 titles this year, and there are another 100 that I've had to pass up, and that doesn't include my backlog from past years.:D

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
Jeff, I bought Richie Rich the same day that I bought Other People's Money at my Best Buy. They both came out on the same day. It came out on Feb 16th. For some reason, many online retailers say that it comes out on 7/12. Perhaps they ran out, or it will be at a lower price point?
Go to Bestbuy.com if you really want the dvd since they have it in stock for 9.99; they also list it as 2/16.
Hope this helps!

By the way, I have a question if anyone can help, was the Dvd of The Jayne Mansfield Story cancelled? Dvdempire listed it as 7/26, but it is now gone from their site. However, Bestbuy and amazon still list it as coming out. I really hope it does as my VHS tape of that rare tv movie is older than I am, and I'll be 21 this year, so you can imagine the quality of that tape:)
-Mark

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter

Eric this is a pretty bold and inacurate statement. I like alot of classic & indi films. I dont think its fair to me or anyone else who feels they way I do for you to say that.

Mark that title somehow got under my radar. I'll have to pick it up and thanks for the price info as well

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

I don't think that it's bold at all. WB has been putting out two boxsets per month of mandatory classic films, and that's just one studio. Your thread is implying that the well is running dry, and I would argue that there are more quality films in the vault then have been released. I have a list well over one thousand in length that I would be interested in acquring. I'm sorry if you take offense to my statement, but I don't see how you could. You're stating that there are very few good titles being released (your opinion) and I'm saying that there is (my opinion). I don't see how you can say that you like classic films, and then say that there are not many interesting titles coming out. The two statements are contradictory. (IMHO)

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Everyones definition of what is classic and desirable (or what you feel are mandatory)is different. I never said the well was dry. I just said that they were not bringing out alot of titles I want to own in the first 6 months of this year. Not like in years past.There are tons of thing i'd like to see come out and many probably wont be best selling titles.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Not slow to me. I wish I had more time to watch everything. Warner alone is keeping me busy with all the great box sets.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I forgot that Year Of The Dragon came out. I have to pick that up.

Other than that, theres only like 5 or 6 DVDs Im getting between now and Oct/Nov.

Million$Baby,Downfall,Alexander,Sin City,Layer Cake and a couple others Im forgetting right now.

I guess its a good time to pick up some of the catalogue titles Ive wanted for awhile and never got.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
That was 2005
This is 2006 and I brought this back because I have already bought more DVD's this year then I did last year and there are alot more coming out that i'm really looking forward to. Including the Jimmy Stewart collection (included as to not be chastised by someone who thinks I dont like classic films ;))

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks