1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

A-Rod's Pay Cut

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carl Miller, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

ESPN is reporting tonight that A-Rod is quoted as having said he'd be willing to take a 30-40% paycut if it would help baseball. This would drop his salary to somewhere between 15 to 17.5 million a year.

I'm skeptical though. With rumors of his unhappiness in Texas circulating recently, I can't help but wonder if this might be an attempt to make himself tradeable.

Am I being overly cynical?

2. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

I'm sure the Player's Ass'n was delighted to hear him say that.
    If he's not careful, he'll end up hanging out with good 'ole Jimmy Hoffa.
    [​IMG]

3. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Screenwriter

His offer was completely disingenuous. His condition was that he would do it "if it would make the game better" but that he thought it wasn't a realistic proposition.

4. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

And I would be happy to take a pay cut if it would end world hunger and ensure world peace forever. [​IMG]

5. CarlS

CarlS Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, this is clearly PR by ARod since he is considered the posterchild for salary excess. I don't think that this would be possible even if he really meant it.

6. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Screenwriter

Jim Caple said in a column of his that when he asked A-Rod if he would be willing to walk a picket line, he waved his hands in disgust and walked away. I know it's not a realistic thing, but are the players really so out of touch that the thought of doing something a "common man" would do in their situation actually disgusts them?

7. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

8. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Premium
    Supporter

Carl III
    I don't remember the exact quote but he said that he would be willing to accept a paycut "if" it would help the game of baseball. Under what circumstances would one player taking a paycut help the game? That statement is so blatantly shallow that I have a hard time believing that anyone would even consider taking is seriously.