What's new

a reciever for my garage? durability? temp concerns? (1 Viewer)

Phillphine

Auditioning
Real Name
Phillip Tinker
i have to add at the beginning, something very budget.

at some point i want a better reciever to leave in my garage for my outdoor theater tries and regular listening when i'm outside or in the garage. i just have a little shelf stereo in there now. my main worry is, though it won't be exposed to actual weather, it is unheated so it would need to endure whatever temp extreams happen (louisville, ky. we get some slight sub zero to the occassional triple digit day).

the little shelf stereo seems to have weathered somewhat well (it's been out there maybe 3-5 years. i forget), but i notice the volume fades off and on. i don't know if that's from being in the garage or just being a fairly cheap rca. it's also a combo thing so the cd has stopped working, but i'm just wanting a reciever and amp with more than left and right outs (and either look for separate components later or bring what i need out of the house temporarily).

the speakers are set out so that i could actually do 7.2, more by happenstance than plan. i don't see that happening on a budget (but hey, who knows), but if i could find a decent 5.1 i'd still be happy.

thanks for any suggestions.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
What's your budget for this project?

Are there any features other than having multiple outputs that you're looking for?

What kind of speakers are you going to be using with this AVR?

How many speakers are you planning to have running?

I'm thinking a refurb unit would be a good fit for this but that's just an initial reaction. Maybe you can give us some more details we can be of more help.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I don't know about the current receivers, but I have had a cheap Marantz stereo receiver in my unheated garage for about 20 years with no problems. And I'm sure the winters here are even colder than by you.

Phillphine

Auditioning
Real Name
Phillip Tinker
sorry for the delay. i'm not online often.

i have no budget really, it'd be catch as catch can, hopefully ending up with something as nice as possible.

right now permanently there are two sets of marcato sub/satellite speakers on my deck that would be my surround speakers, and a pair of 12" yorkville monitors that are my main left and right by the screen. still working on a (stalled) sub project and there's no center idea yet. so permantly, i'd want something to power the deck speakers any time, essentially as stereo pairs (i usually only have one pair on depending on where in the yard/garage i am), along with a couple other pairs in other parts of the yard, but they would run through a speaker selection box and would be off for a movie configuration. then for a movie, just bring out/plug in the monitors.

as far as reciever features, really just surround. i know it's not as big a deal with an outdoor setup, but like i said, the speakers are there and in about the right positions. maybe a feature that lets you plug in speaker distances in relation to each other for surround (or where you set up a mic and it does it automaticly), but i know that would be a dream feature and would get costly. and maybe a sub out so it doesn't have to be that powerful it's self. thanks for any suggestions.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
As long as it never gets wet and is not actually used below freezing temps...the AVR will last almost as long as if it were nestled in your AV rack in the living room(this isn't Savannah, Georgia).

Seriously...I would buy the cheapest 7.1 AVR on A4L and call it a day. Provided it isn't missing a feature you want...then find "next cheapest with that feature".

Phillphine

Auditioning
Real Name
Phillip Tinker
i found a used onkyo tx-sr605 7.1 reciever well within my price range. the reviews i've found make it out to be pretty good. any nay sayers before i buy? thanks.

also while i'm asking, i've picked up a few hp small form factor computers i want to use like satellites around the house (not sure if that's the right term, i'm even less knowledgable about computers than i am with recievers). i want to use one in the same spot, instead of taking my laptop out. so same question, should i have any temp concerns leaving it out in the garage? thanks.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The X05 era Onkyo are fine. It was the later X06 and X07 that had issues.

I have the Integra version (DTR 5.8) and it refuses to die.

Phillphine

Auditioning
Real Name
Phillip Tinker
thanks. they had a 5.1 integra (dtr-4.5). i found out it was some kind of onkyo brand when i did my bit of research. i already got the onkyo (actually put it on layaway so it comes out in the spring when i'll want it. that way the bit of warranty they give will start when i'm actually starting to use it). i wanted to do a little better in the house with something new (needing to replace there too), but i may go back and get the used integra too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks