What's new

A question for Robert Harris (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Mr. Harris,

I know you really deal with film restoration, movies and the like but I was curious if you were ever involved in restoring concert films and how, if at all, it's any different from motion pictures.

You're probably not a fan of the band Queen but they released a collection of music videos called "Greatest Video Hits" a few years back. Mostly clips from the 70s shot on video tape as opposed to film and even though they claimed they were "remastered" (and all the typical selling points they mention) all the clips look pretty shoddy. They even created a "fake widescreen" presentation, they simply put black bars over the top and bottom of the original full frame videos (which cut off a lot of the picture and I still cannot understand why they chose to chop them up in this manner when they clearly were never intended to be seen that way.)

I've seen some quality presentations of 70s era material from video tape on DVD and they looked far superior to what was on that Queen DVD. Did they just do a poor job? Was there only so much you *can* do with video tape of that vintage?

I understand that without actually seeing the DVD I'm refering to you'll have a hard time being specific with me but if you could give some general info about the topic I'd appreciate it. (If you get a chance to ever see Queen's "Greatest Video Hits" DVD, I would LOVE to hear your thoughts.)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Although I spend the majority of my time counting those little holes that run down the side of film, video isn't all that much different, with one exception.

As we get farther back in time, our ability to play certain tapes diminishes, especially when we get back to quad, and early A and B.

With digital technology, these concert performances can look amazingly good as long as the original video elements are accessible.

RAH

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
You should see what the BBC Doctor Who Restoration Team does with 20 to 40 year old Doctor Who tapes. Doctor Who looks fantastic on DVD thanks to them.
I have that Queen DVD Michael, that how i was used to seeing Doctor Who on PBS in the 80s. So i know Queen's videos could look better, but they do sound great!

Tadlow

Auditioning
Real Name
James
I am trying to contact Mr Robert Harris concerning the restoration of THE ALAMO, as I have just finished a new recording of the complete score by Tiomkin to the film and would like to speak to Mr Harris about it.

If you read this email, Mr Harris, please can you contact me on [email protected]

James Fitzpatrick
www.tadlowmusic.com

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
James:

In the nearly three-and-a-half years since this thread was opened and finished, Mr. Harris has been given his own section in the "Talk to Insiders" forum. You should ask a moderator to move your post there, as it seems unlikely that he'll see it in this area.

Regards,

Joe

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I will personally contact Mr. Harris this morning and make
certain he reads this thread.

I cannot promise a response from him.

billy10388

Auditioning
Real Name
Billy L
Originally Posted by Michael Allred

Mr. Harris,

I know you really deal with film restoration, movies and the like but I was curious if you were ever involved in restoring concert films and how, if at all, it's any different from motion pictures.

You're probably not a fan of the band Queen but they released a collection of music videos called "Greatest Video Hits" a few years back. Mostly clips from the 70s shot on video tape as opposed to film and even though they claimed they were "remastered" (and all the typical selling points they mention) all the clips look pretty shoddy. They even created a "fake widescreen" presentation, they simply put black bars over the top and bottom of the original full frame videos (which cut off a lot of the picture and I still cannot understand why they chose to chop them up in this manner when they clearly were never intended to be seen that way.)

I've seen some quality presentations of 70s era material from video tape on DVD and they looked far superior to what was on that Queen DVD. Did they just do a poor job? Was there only so much you *can* do with video tape of that vintage?

I understand that without actually seeing the DVD I'm refering to you'll have a hard time being specific with me but if you could give some general info about the topic I'd appreciate it. (If you get a chance to ever see Queen's "Greatest Video Hits" DVD, I would LOVE to hear your thoughts.)

Thanks you for the post.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks