What's new

A question for 811S owners!! (1 Viewer)

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I am a little bummed to hear the 811 is only 24lbs. The 710 and the 711 needs a brick placed on it so it will not float away, but the older 709 weighs in a t 32lbs. Looks like they have taken steps backwards with the amp sections!

Wes

David Ison

Stunt Coordinator
weight has nothing to do with it, i owned a marantz 2220b that weighed 40 lbs, big deal it only put out 20 watts per chnl., the reason older equip. weighs so much is the old style condensers( some were even liquid filled in order to keep them cool).

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
The 709 is only 3 years old so I highly doubt age is a factor, and I believe weight has every thing to do with it!

Wes

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Are you saying the higher output Carver amps weigh less than the lower Carver output amps, cause that's what it sounds like your saying! The 709 is 5x 100wpc and I think the 811 is 6 x 100wpc, It has one more amp but its lighter by 10lbs??????

Wes

Andy_Q

Auditioning
Will the 811 power a passive subwoofer? I see that I can set the back channel to sb_subwf, but is this a full lfe track, or just the back channel? I have a passive woofer, and would like to use it instead of buying a powered woofer. I have a lot more channels than speakers at this piont!

Thanks,
-Andy

David Ison

Stunt Coordinator
no WES all i'm saying weight has nothing to do with it and NO i'm not saying a pioneer is equal to a CARVER, only an example as to weight , there are many variables that contribute to weight i.e. transformers, cabinets,boards . heatsinks .....etc. Amplifiers may weigh more or less because of these factors as well as the cost factor, yeah cheaper stuff may weigh less , but it is possible to ADD heft to give the impression it's actually better than what it is, if the puplic equates weight with value that's what manufacturers will give not better just heavier, hey remember cadilacs?

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
The only point I was trying to make is that the 811 has more amps and is the same company brand and weighs about 1/3 the weight of the previous years model. Which lends me to believe Pioneer scrimped somewhere (most likely the transformer) or removed something that they felt was unnecessary which I doubt. I went to see our new Best Buy (the first one in Utah) and happened to see the 411, 711 and 811. Compared all three and you must be right, weight must not mean any thing because they all felt close to the same. It seems to me from past years that with pioneer that going up 4 models there should be more substance than what I feel. I also have an old VSX9300 which is considerably heavier than the 4300 in its time! This is all just observations I might add. I do prefer the weight and better construction of the 709 but I would love to have the PLII and EX/ES that the 811 has.

Wes

RobertD

Auditioning
I'm posting to this jurassic thread because it's one of the more easily findable discussions about the vsx-d811s, and (just like me) folks looking into this receiver are likely to find it.

I recently purchased an 811s, and I'm happy to report that, at least under the conditions I have in use at home, there is no audible hiss with the receiver set to an unused input and turned up *all the way*. This is 1 ft away from the speakers and

aldamon

Second Unit
I ordered an 811 yesterday. It'll be working with the DLS 10" sub and JBL NSP-1 speaker set I also ordered. I'll report back when I get everything hooked up and calibrated. I anticipate having VERY respectable performance and longevity (6th channel) for the scant sum of $638.65 shipped. Unbelievable.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Robert, I don't know if this will help you but you can set your sub setting to PLUS and the Pioneer will send the bass to both the Large speaker (your fronts) and to the Sub. If you have the Avia calibration dvd and an SPL meter then you can do some experiments to see where exactly the Pioneer sends the bass given certain setups. I can't recall but I believe if the sub is set to ON, and the fronts to Large, that the Pioneer may still send the low bass from the surrounds to the sub. I can't remember the exact results of my tinkering but it's fun to do anyhow :)
I agree that Pioneer would do better to include an 80Hz, at least, crossover setting.
I also did an experiment this weekend related to another current thread about low end receivers having crosstalk across channels. i.e. playing two channel cd music and then unhooking the fronts and hearing some audible music coming from the center speaker or surrounds. I switched off my Niles speaker selector and then played some music and I heard nothing out of any speaker which was nice to know.
cheers,
--tom

AllanN

Supporting Actor
I just got the 811 and I love it. It has a DSP mode for just about everything. The expanded mode works good for old mono movies. It is driving JBL N38 mains and a JBL NSP1 package. Im using the the N24's as surround and surround backs. I got all 7 JBL speakers closeout at jandr.com for $330 SHIPPED! No sub yet but routing the LFE to the N38's works pretty damn good for now. Im going to get a Sony SA-WM40. The 811 also has preouts so if you ever wanted more cleaner power from it you could get power amps to drive your speakers. IF I turn the volume up to -00db and put my ear right next to the speaker i can hear a slight hiss. There is no audible his from the listening position. But I attribute this to our dirty power in the house. You can set the surround back to either one speaker two speakers or a passive sub. Although I have only tried it with two speakers. This being my first real receiver and real speakers I don't have anything to compare it to in home but I am extremely happy with the system I have. Especially at the price I paid for it.

Has anyone out there seen any review's on the 811 about how much power it actually put's out. Its only rated at 100W @ 1k. I really don't care what the figure is because it has enough power for me. Im just curious and im sure future buyers are.

aldamon

Second Unit
Great setup Allan. It the exact setup I will move to once I have outgrown using the N24s in my NSP-1 as mains. In a year or so, I'll just shift the two main N24s to the rear, throw on some amps and buy some better mains. The 7.1 capability and preouts really give this budget receiver a lot of room to grow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks