What's new

A plea to Scifi channel (re:cliffhanger shows).... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I have been watching Scifi channel recently and noticed that they air a few series that have cliff-hanger endings. I also have noticed that they have been producing a lot of Scifi original movies. My hope is that they combine the two and make some movies that could wrap up series that were cancelled and now are airing in syndication on their channel. An example of this could be Now & Again. It ended on a big cliffhanger that could be resolved in a nice 2 hour movie. I know both of the stars are on new shows. But, I can't see if being too hard to get either of them.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
But, I can't see if being too hard to get either of them.
I doubt that... 24 has a longer season than most shows, for instance, and Dennis Haysbert is getting good feature work during the off-season. The rest of the cast isn't quite so visible as him, but they're not quite "I'll take any job" people, either. Oh, and you do want the original writer/producers, right? More people to schedule.

Besides, just saying "have Sci-Fi do it" may be okay in terms of series owned by Universal, but most TV shows nowadays are co-productions by two or more companies - Now & Again is fairly simple as its two copyright holders (Paramount & CBS Productions) have the same ownership. But Sci-Fi would probably have to pony up more than they're willing to for it, and not have any ownership. For shows that already have the stink of failure on them.

It may look straightforward, but it's not. It would be far better for producers to not write episodes that need later resolution unless they've got a contract for another year in their hands.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
My hope is that they combine the two and make some movies that could wrap up series that were cancelled and now are airing in syndication on their channel
People have been asking them to do it for years. They don't, and the one time they have, well, frankly I'd rather have nothing at all (Battlestar Blasphemy)

The big problem is that the sets and props for these shows are destroyed, and they'd have to rebuild them. BIG time expense. Earth 2 for example, all the custom vehicles were dismantled and stripped for parts.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
They don't, and the one time they have, well, frankly I'd rather have nothing at all (Battlestar Blasphemy)
That doesn't really apply, since they aren't continuing anything on that series. (More like an alternate universe...)

The better example is Sliders, which isn't exactly a shining example for SciFi either...

Jeff is right, tho. Unless you get a deal to do it soon after the series ends, your chances are low. Not only because they strike sets permamently, but cast members go off to do other things as well....

Jason

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The better example is Sliders, which isn't exactly a shining example for SciFi either...
See, the first season on Sci-Fi (the fourth overall) wasn't bad at all, and certainly a step up from that awful final season on Fox. The last year, of course, was an unmitigated disaster.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The fourth season of Sliders I like to refer to as "Universal Backlot World" :)

I liked the third season on Fox, I really hated all the SciFi seasons when they had absolutely no money whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks