What's new

A Perfect Circle (1 Viewer)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
That's actually why I like A Perfect Circle so much. No one else could do what Tool does, so they're doing something else. I think it's smart and respectful of Maynard to explore this type of music outside of Tool, allowing him to fulfill his artistic desires and not sabotage Tool in the process.
Well, I agree with you. The problem I was having with the first album is that it had been so long since Aenema was released (4 years), that I really wanted a Tool album at that time.

Even listening to it now, it still doesn't hit me that well. It isn't anything special.

I did pick up the new one yesterday, and I have to say I like what I've heard so far. It seems to have more life than the first album. Course it is the way of these projects that they don't start hitting their stride until the second album. It is different from a group that has been together for years and has their stuff together...

Jason

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
This album gets better and better the more I listen to it. Some really great songs.

What do you guys think the next single should/will be?

JohnE

Supporting Actor
I agree with you Jason in that Mer De Noms, while good, was nothing special. I liked it, but from the first few listens from Thirteenth Step, I can tell I'm going to like this one a lot more. It's already working it's way into my subconcious and I'm finding myself humming songs from the cd that I'm not even that familiar with yet. I really like The Noose. That one is really sticking with me. Two thumbs up so far.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Finally got a good copy of the CD and listened to it all. Loved it, but must listen quite a few more times to grok it.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
I'm glad to see so many people enjoying the album, both old tool fans and others alike. I know a lot of people were dissapointed the album wasn't a bit harder and in the same vein as Mer De Noms but I think they've really been very successful with this new sound. I completely agree with the production and mixing comments, absolutely brilliant.

As for the Faliure cover, I still tend to enjoy the original a bit more and that album is highly recommended to anyone - good stuff. Looking forward to catching APC on tour this year.

JessPrice

Stunt Coordinator
APC to me is more than music, they do such a good job captureing things for me. I listen to Mer De Noms everyday, I bought this new album the day it came out and have been listening to it constantly. When I went to the APC concert 7/28 in dallas I was blown away by what was goign to come out, although the acoustics really sucked in the granada theater and it was about 110 degrees the whole concert.

They did a stellar performance with this new album.

Peter_A

Second Unit
I don't think that there is any copy protection on the American version of the CD but up here in Canada there is since it's probably distributed by someone different than in the US. The original CD now sits on my shelf collecting dust while my back-up plays in the car and the MP3's on my computer.

Oh and you guys also really need to check out the song REV 22:20 by Pusicfer off the Underworld soundtrack. The vocals are by Maynard and it simply an amazing song!

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm glad to see so many people enjoying the album, both old tool fans and others alike. I know a lot of people were dissapointed the album wasn't a bit harder and in the same vein as Mer De Noms but I think they've really been very successful with this new sound.
Actually, I like the fact that it isn't particularly heavy. It is nice to hear Maynard do some "lighter" stuff.

Jason

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I was on Martha's Vineyard for a week where there is not even a McDonalds or a single chain store anything, so you can imagine my trouble finding a record store that would stock this thing...I simply decided not to make the effort and wait till I got back to the mainland. After a couple listens tonight, I have to say I am very impressed with the album so far, but have yet to do any critical listening.

From reading this thread, I am surprised by the apathy shown Mer De Noms, which I consider a phenomenal record...definately "something special". While this is in an entirely different vein than that record, it is refreshing that there is a departure from the sound of the first album...I wouldn't expect anything less from Maynard. Tool will release another record in the next 12-18 months so I can wait for the aural assault that is sure to come with that release.

I too was amazed at how low in htz this album hits, right from the get go I was getting sub activity normally reserved for a DD or DTS DVD movie. Impressive sound quality on this one.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
The more I listen to this album, the more incredible I think it is...the production, the layering of the sound, the mesmerizing quality of the vibe of the record...I will be listening to this for a LOOOOONNNNGGG time.

Does anyone have a link to future tour dates? The website only goes through the end of this month in Europe but I know they are planning to play arenas closer to Halloween back here in the states, but I have no formal dates.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This album is already a classic. :D I have been listening to it extensively since I picked it up last Tues. I was quite impressed with the overall quality - the recording is first rate, and the music, well, the music is stunning. Tool - Lateralus is a favorite of mine, and when I heard the first single from Thirteenth Step, I could not wait to get my hands on it. It is a bit rare for me to use heavier music (APC is not so heavy, kind of just right?) to critically listen, but both Lateralus and Thirteenth Step are so well done, that I can't help but sit back and relax and enjoy.

My favorite track so far is "The Noose". It struck me right away with the odd muffled sound at the begining, then burst into clarity. Good stuff.

Similar bands - no mention of Deftones... One of my favorite Deftones tracks is the one with Maynard on it on White Pony. The new Deftones album is not too bad, better than WP.

hehehe, forgot to add: NP:APC Thirteenth Step

StevenW

Second Unit
I have not put another cd in my player since Sept 11. This album has truely blown me away & taken me by surprise. But I should have known anything Maynard is involved with is going to be amazing. I see a VERY bright future for Billy Howerdell.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i just picked this up last night. luckily best-buy still had their sale sign up (by mistake) so i got it for 10 bucks. :emoji_thumbsup:

i've been listening it at work and have really been digging what i'm hearing. i really like the mellower stuff like "vanishing". i'm quite sure i'll be giving this more air-time.

i suspect this will grow on me with each subsequent listening.

StevenW

Second Unit
Here's an interesting interpretation of the album with having a theme in mind. It was taken from the aperfectcircle.net boards.

This is the obvious literal message from thirteenth step and how it fits into a uniform story of an addict(for me that is)..but im sure with the new-age spiritual sites floating around rumored to be linked to the album you could dig a little deeper but anyhow here goes...

The Package in its solemn music/eerie vocals and dark lyrics display someone who is so willingly blindly addicted to the point where nothing matters to them anymore(friends,family)-the only thing that does is "the package" which could be referd to as a drug,for referance sake.
The lyrics speak from the perspetive of someone who is all too familiar with using people,someone who dosnt care about others emotions or the consequences for his own actions,afterall he is just in it for what he wants.

Weak and Powerless is that person comming to the point of realising whats hes done to people in the past,acknowladging it,and admitting that hes addicted,he goes asfar as to describe that what hes done in the past was almost like literally digging his own grave.He knows he cant continue down that path anylonger...

The Noose is the point where he is reflecting on his mistakes,hes debating with himself where he went wrong and trying to convinve himself that hes not a bad person.Hes trying to tell himself that it was just a simple mistake and that itl be alright,although quite the contrary- hes suffering to the extent where he cant conince himself of this anylonger,and his skeletons are coonsuming him entirely,and he no longer knows of the route to make his amends to everyone who he has harmed.

Blue and The Noose are so closely realted its even noticable in the lyrics"your halo has come down to choke you now" and than Blue's"call it aftermath,shes turning blue" ,but anyhow
Blue is where the subject continues to reflect.Hes remembering who and what he used to be.He's ignoring the smoke,which he cant because the "fire "has left everything hes loved as ash.Its dealing and coping with everything hes caused,its him realizing-logically and for the first timeeotionally what hes done,and its haunting him.

Vanishing is when he notibaly becomes a recluse,isolating himself from everything and everyone because he belives he is nothign but "bad news" to the world and everyone he comes itno contact with,he fears hurting more people,and he thinks the perfect solution to that is to keep away from all,so in that sense hes "vanishing".

A Stranger is when the subject no longer recongnizes himself-at all-he's scared aswell as confused,he no longer knows why hes living,and he questions his purpose.He's beggining to lose faith in everything,but more or less in himself.He no longer belives hismelf to be that good person he was coaxing himself into believing he was,he comes face to face with what hes become, he no longer can recognize himself ,hes lost touch with the only things he had-himself and it causes him to become disgusted with/and loathe himself,he give's up.

The Outsider essentially is him speaking to himself,debating wether or not to go on.He's asking for help,but not to someone,but to himself.
Hes trying to convince himself that life is worth living,but so far its not adding up.Everything seems worthless and futile now,and he wants out,he wants out so badly and the only alternative,the only exit is suicide.
He loathes himself so much at this point that hes actually considering suicide,that that just makes it worse.The eeriest point of the song is when timmy says"they were right about you.." i can almost picture a teen crying with a loaded gun in his mouth repeating it to himself over and over hands tightly grasped around the trigger.
However,towards the end of the song it actually becoems quite positive and he seems to listen to logic and reason,even if he can no longer trust himself('lying to yourself again/lying through your teeth again/lying to my face again).
He finally gets over this hurdle and decideds against suicide,but the experience has more than shaken his paradigm.

Crimes is essentially the subject seeking outside sources for help,i picture him signing into a psychiatric ward because he finnaly admits he cant solve this problem alone.There in the ward he is taught that when you are confrotned with an overwhelming problem torelease your frustrations through coutning to ten.
The songs repetition of some numbers indicates that this isnt so easy...

It could also be a referance to the nature of suicide being a CRIME.

The Nurse wholoved me-Fits in asto wheer hes in the psych hospital and hes becomeso delirious(either through medication or mental/emotional deterioration) that he becomes convinced that one of his nurse's has actually fallen in love with him..by the ay the openinglines are obviously related to drug use("say hello to the rugs topography" doing mucho drugs than passing out faced first into the rug,"the shrinking in your head"-some drugs cause you to think you are literally shrinking OR it could be referance to the loss of braincells)
He thinks its a perfect relationship because she can supply him with drugs and he's looking for someone to cling to asin an emotional attachment.
The next lines"apples in your eyes/to everything youve left behind" is a refrenace to what hes lost as a result of what hes done in the past...."sneezed"...hmmm...maybe a subtle coke referance...
anyhow hes obviously lost touch with reality completely at this point,yet for the first time he seems actually happy,afterall there is bliss in ignorance,right?

Pet-ah this is where his overbearing Doctor is dictating everything to him,the subject loses his free will and begins to do as hes told,losing all sense of self.The doctor seems to believe that what hes doing is right,and maybe he is right,who knows,anyhow he seems to beisolating his patient from the outside world"dont fret precious im here,step away from the window"-which is a referance to the world he used to be apart of(drug use). Hes using sleep and isolation as a t00l to get his mind off drugs and the world he once knew.The boogeyman is his addiction.The rabble is his cravings screaming for another fix.The doctor seems to form a profound relationship with the subject,taking him under his wing-as persay-hes taking specific steps to make sure he'll make it through this ordeal.
The subject is essentially a "child" and "ignorat" hes either entirely drugged up on some hospital meds,or hes losing his sanity,either way hes beyond reason.
The war drums could be a metaphor for the pounding you feel in your head after withdrawl...doub it..but who knows...basically the doctor has to assume full control of his patient because he dosnt trust his patient knows right from wrong anymore,and that given the first chance hell dive headfirst into that poolof drug use once again."protect you from a will to survive" this could eb the patients perspective on the doctor,aslmot thinking that since hes preventing him from getting his fix hes preventing him from survival.
Overall it comesoff that the subject has a sort of resentful relationship with the doctor,in that he hates the fact that he needs him to ultimately survive,to which the cost is his free will,but than again he cant trust himself so....

Lullaby is the subjects submission into the arms of the doctor,and not necessarily in a bad way,it could also mean that he actually overcame his sense of resentment for him and trusts in him and follows the procedures and precautions and 'steps' to get better.

Gravity-This is where he is once again reasonable and logical.
Hes contemplating on how to hanle this mess.He right off the bat admits to not knowing what to do,being lost,and basically confused about where to go from here.I get a sense of him being released from the ward/hospital and being on his own for the first time in a long time aswell.
He acknowladges that in order to move forth he has to change his entire world,he has to learn to trust again,and to defy any craving he might encounter("calm these hands ebfore they slip another pill/drive another nail down/another needy hole").
Also it should be noted that he is asking for HELP and alot of it,probably the most outtve the entire ordeal,hes opening up and letting people in,learning from the past and moving on,although to where he dosnt know quite yet.

On a unrelated note when timmy says "i am surrendering to gravity in the unknown.catch me,heal me" i get this picture of a blindfolded patient falling backwards ino the arms of another in one of those trust seminars...but whatever...

The fact that hes "surrendering to gravity in the unknown" is a huge step for him personally.
The album concludes with him "choosing to live",which is a definate progression,however,it is the next phase/step that will determine wetehr or not he will fall back into old patterns or learn from his mistakes and move forth.

And that is essentially the THIRTEENTH STEP

Todd Smigelski

Stunt Coordinator
...but im sure with the new-age spiritual sites floating around rumored to be linked to the album
Interesting. Anyone know any more about that comment?

This album, and I can't explain it, has a strange aura to it. Leave it to Maynard to start F 'ing with my head

Thanks for the post StevenW

Ryan_C

Second Unit
Really liking this album so far. Don't see it coming out of my Jeep's cd player anytime soon, unless I take it in to give it some serious listening on my headphones of course.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks