What's new

A Panny plasma issue...Can anyone help? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I have had my Panny 55" TC-P55UT50 for roughly 10 months. It has, other than ghosting issues with a handful of 3-D movies, been a beautiful set with superb deep blacks and striking colors. I absolutely love it and am saddened by the news that Panasonic is shutting down production on its line.

A few days ago I noticed an anomaly that definitely hadn't been there before. A vertical area about two inches wide on the extreme right side of the picture is incrementally darker than the rest of the screen...it looks like a shadow, and at first I thought it was lighting in the room. Then I thought it might be burn-in, so I ran the anti-retention scroll bar about ten times. It isn't going away. I thought it might be from the magnet in the close-by right front speaker, but I was told that wouldn't affect plasma screens (?).

And it's only obvious when there is a bright, solid-color image on that part of the screen. I don't really see it otherwise (although it is surely there), but it's bugging me now, the way a repetitious noise does once you notice it.

Now I am scrambling to find my sales receipt (where the hell is it?), as it may have to be serviced, which would mean losing it for a week or two -- talk about withdrawal from an addiction!

Has anyone else a comparable experience?

Suggestions welcome, with thanks.

P.S. For those of you who celebrate it, have a safe and satisfying holiday season!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This is a known Panny thing.Things to check first...Ground loopFrequent use of "screen ticker"(like a news channel. Yes those can affect vertical picture)Panny does not consider a faint bar a flaw(neither does Samsung or LG).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks