What's new

"A Night At The Opera" DVD-A pushed back?? (1 Viewer)

DEAN DE FURIA

Stunt Coordinator
I picked this up today after driving all over the place trying to find it in stock. I think retailers underestimated the demand for this title. After all, DTS has been advertising it since last August. It was sold out everywhere. So, as a last resort, I walk into Best Buy in Totowa and I walk to the disorganized multi-channel music section they have and... None!

Depressed, I walk over to the SACD section where I see a customer with the Queen disc in his hand. Damn, I say, too late again. As I'm browsing around I see him back in the DVD-A isle so I go back there. I see him walking away, so I look at the shelf and he put it back! Needless to say, I snagged it.

This is multichannel done right. My previous favoite mixes were "Hotel California" and "Rumours"

This disc finally gets the bass right. Full, tight and plenty of it! A very interesting mix without being too gimicky. Also, a very clear mix. This album has always sounded muddy, Not anymore! A must buy purchase.

DTS should have the honors of doing multichannel mixes of other classic LP's such as Led Zep IV, Electric Ladyland, and Van Halen I.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I'm glad to see that everyone is being blown away by how good this release sounds.
It is now my main demo of multi-channel music.:D
JohnG

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
I think retailers underestimated the demand for this title. After all, DTS has been advertising it since last August. It was sold out everywhere.
This may well turn out to be the best selling dvd-a so far. I just got off the phone with DVD Planet customer service. They told me their initial order was 500 copies and as of a few minutes ago, they'd sold 556 copies. The cs rep told me his screen was showing negative 56 as orders were coming in beyond the 500 disc allotment.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
That's why I cancelled my order with DVD Planet.
My Local BB had 3 on the shelf.Two when I've left!;)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I ended up getting the last one, so the 4 that were at the Carmel store are no more.
Sounds like its the same everywhere else. Unfortunately I still haven't had it in as I've been way busy. (plus the DVD-A is acting up, I will probably have to settle for DTS for now :frowning:)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I got the only copy on the shelf of my local BB. It is, indeed, awesome! I only have a DVD player, but I think the DTS trck is incredible. Its everything I hoped it would be.
Bohemian Rhapsody MAY become my demo audio track for when company comes over. But right now, I like to play the original stereo track of the Dead's Truckin', then crank Mickey Hart's 5.1 remix. I have yet to see one jaw not drop to the floor. :D :D :D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I listened to the 24/96 stereo track from the DVD-Video layer on A Night at the Opera last night. While there are definite strong points in relation to the DCC and MFSL gold CDs (both of which I have for comparison), I was not impressed with the stereo layer. I'm not sure I should fault DTS, however. My feeling is that this is one of those cases where a higher-resolution format can bring out a lot of flaws in a recording, just as a high-resolution audio system can. In listening to my various Queen CDs, I have heard pops (static) during parts of "Bohemian Rhapsody". In listening to the DVD-Audio disc on my revealing main stereo system, there is static all through "Bohemian Rhapsody". The song is great, but the recording sucks. I don't think DTS did anything wrong here.*

I have not listened to the surround-sound tracks.

* There is nothing wrong with my main stereo system. I have heard the static in "Bohemian Rhapsody" from Queen CDs on both of my stereo systems and even my kitchen boombox. Also, right after listening to the Queen DVD-Audio disc last night, I listed to the Steely Dan Two Again Nature DVD-Audio disc, which I consider to be reference-quality. I hear no static with the Steely Dan disc. I then listened to a few CDs and heard no static.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
what static?

What is it sound like?

I know that there was a thread not long ago,but if you could "refresh" my memory?

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Never mind,I just listened again.

Yes it's on the MC tracks as well,but not as exessive,as on the stereo tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks