What's new

"A Night At The Opera" DVD-A pushed back?? (1 Viewer)

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
My order from DVD Planet shipped today .
Grrrr...
I just spoke with DVD Planet and they said they hadn't received any copies from the manufacturer and didn't know when they would...

damian p

Auditioning
I just bought mine at Best Buy. They only had one copy also. The kid working there couldn't find it, and I almost missed it...
BTW, it ROCKS!:D

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
Picked my copy up at Best Buy this afternoon! They actually had about 4 or 5 copies on the shelves. I can't wait to get home and crank it up. :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
My local Best Buy had two copies today, but I didn't buy one since my copy shipped from Digital Eyes today. In looking at the disc at Best Buy, one thing really cheezes me. There is no discrete stereo DVD-Audio track, just a fold-down of the 5.1-channel track. I thought an online review from a few months ago said there was a discrete stereo track. Shame on DTS for not including a real stereo track. Multi-channel music is fine, but give us options! It would be nice to see DTS learn from Warner. Warner only provided multi-channel tracks on a few early DVD-Audio titles, but has been including discrete stereo tracks on all of its titles since. Get a clue, DTS! :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: At least with SACDs, regardless of the label, I know I will get a discrete stereo track on any disc.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I had a few people over on Saturday listening to the DTS tracks.

They also concur that this disc blows away the latest cd remaster from Japan and that was not bad at all.

"39" really sounds great on DTS!

JohnG

Peter Luna

Auditioning
Keith,

I believe you are incorrect when you state that "there is no discrete stereo DVD-Audio track, just a fold-down of the 5.1-channel track". In the audio menu, you can chose between PCM Stereo 96/24, DTS 96/24 5.1 Digital Surround and MLP 5.1 Surround. As to the difference in sound between the DTS and MLP, it was difficult to hear any difference because there was no way to switch from the DTS tracks to the DVD-A tracks on the fly. What I heard from both DVD-A and DTS sounded equally good, but I was unable to pick a winner.

When listening to the DTS tracks, I preferred using the 5.1 output of my Technics DVD-A10 to the Coax output. I put the technics player in Video Mode and played the DTS tracks through the 5.1 inputs and the Coax output and once again the 5.1 outputs sounded noticably better. What this means I can't tell you.

This is first DTS 96/24 disc I have purchased and if this disc is representitive of future DTS discs, DVD-A and SACD may have a new play in the Hi Rez format war.

Keith, I would be interested in seeing your thoughts on the 96/24 stereo tracks compared to any of the red book discs that you own.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Peter, I hope I am wrong. I am just going by what I read on the two copies of the disc I saw in Best Buy today. DTS puts a small black card over the top of the super jewel case, and that card says that there is a stereo fold-down mix from the MLP 5.1-channel track. It is possible that what you are selecting from the menu is a stereo track that has been folded down from the 5.1-channel track, as opposed to a discrete stereo track.

I should be getting my copy of the DVD-Audio disc in the next few days and could compare it to the domestic CD (Hollywood Records), UK import CD that I bought some 15 years ago, DCC gold CD, and MFSL gold CD. I'll probably compare the stereo track to the gold CDs from the get-go.

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
The disc DOES contain a PCM 96/24 stereo track, not a downmix from surround. This track IS NOT a DVD-A audio track. It is high bitrate PCM, similar to DAD discs.
The only DVD-A track on the disc is a 5.1 surround track that can be folded down to stereo. As the PCM track has higher resolution than a redbook CD, it should sound pretty good - and it does.
Hope this clears this up for you.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Alex, I appreciate the information. I saw no mention of this track on the package. Can this track be played on a DVD-Audio player? I ask because most DVD-Audio players are not able to access the Dolby Digital and DTS tracks (i.e., DVD-Video layer) on DVD-Audio discs. Ideally, I'd like to be able to play the 24/96 stereo track on my Technics DVD-A10 without using the TV.

Peter Luna

Auditioning
Keith, I believe you can access the stereo track by selecting group 2 and then pressing audio. Group 1 is the DVD-A track and group 2 contains the DTS 5.1 and PCM Stereo tracks.

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
All I know is that if My mailman doesn't deliever my copy today I'm going to be very sad:frowning:
BTW this is the biggest response of any post I started here on HTF:)

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
I am very curious to see what everyone else thinks about this release. BTW, the DVD-Audio tracks do need to be turned up louder than the DTS tracks to match the levels.

At -10 on my Denon 3300, the DVD-Audio tracks do sound improved. When I switch to DTS I need to go back to -18 for instance.

I still stand by my statement that the DTS tracks are more fun to listen to though.

Well that holds true for my system as well, but that's because my tone controls are defeated when I use my 6 channel inputs.

So I gotta crank it up a little more in DVD-A to get that punch.

Bill_Mis

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you forum as my Best Buy in Carmel had four copies yesterday at $19.99, so get them while they are there. Oh yeah, now there are only three copies!

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
WOW what a disc!!!!
They even let us people without a DVD-A player a chance to watch the video for Bohemian....in DTS :emoji_thumbsup: Well worth the wait, Go out and get it...NOW

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Peter said:

Keith, I believe you can access the stereo track by selecting group 2 and then pressing audio. Group 1 is the DVD-A track and group 2 contains the DTS 5.1 and PCM Stereo tracks.
Thanks for the info. I hope you are right. That is how I access stereo DVD-Audio tracks on Warner discs without a TV.

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
One copy at my local Best Buy...grabbed it and now I just have to wait till I go back home next week to listen....but oh my the anticipation is high on this one.

At least it is in hand....

Eric.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I just got it from BB as well.
I still don't have a DVD-A player so I had to be satisfied with just the DTS track,and boy was I satisfied.:emoji_thumbsup:
I also checked out the 96/24 stereo tracks:thumbsdown:
This is a very high bit rate stereo track[over 4k I forgott the exact number],it didn't help much,sounded very much like the domestic CD I have though, there are some differences.
The DTS just makes my set up sound like a smooth high end system,the stereo track, is like a cheap boom box,and since this is the same rig,it can't be really faulted,only the source.
As always YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks