What's new

A new Star Wars trilogy? (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
IESB.com is reporting that there will be a third Star Wars trilogy release in theaters after the existing 6 films are out in 3D. Their site is down, but here is the story reported by TheForce.Net:

http://theforce.net/latestnews/story/New_Star_Wars_Trilogy_Coming_134597.asp

IESB says they are 100% sure of their source.

Of course, we've all heard this kind of thing before, so we'll have to remain skeptical. I wonder about it, if for no other reason that George Lucas will be well into his 70s before a third trilogy is complete. Allegedly, the new films would not focus on anyone named Skywalker and would take place long after Return of the Jedi.

I know a whole lot of people who've already broken their keyboard complaining about the prequels and the changes to the OT, so beware, and tread lightly.

EDIT: Here's the link to the original story:

http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10291:iesb-exclusive-the-line-starts-hereagain-new-star-wars-movies-planned&catid=41:news&Itemid=71

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Dear George:

Please don't write the script. If you're going to do this, please make a call to Timothy Zahn and give us the "Thrawn Trilogy" or something from his style.

Thanks.

A fan.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
There's already an update from The Force.net saying "In an email to Wired's Underwire blog, Lucasfilm's Josh Kushins says that the IESB report is 'completely false.'"

And here's the whole update from Wired:

"Lucasfilm is denying a supposed insider report that says George Lucas is planning to film three new Star Wars movies. The report, published by IESB and citing an “ultra top-secret Lucasfilm insider,” said the new trilogy would land after the planned 3-D conversion of the six Star Wars films.

“This is, of course, completely false,” Lucasfilm spokesman Josh Kushins told Wired.com in an e-mail Saturday about the report. “George Lucas has plenty of projects to keep him busy right now — including plenty of Star Wars projects — but there are no new Star Wars feature films planned.” "

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2010/10/new-star-wars-trilogy/

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Lucasfilm wouldn't actually confirm something that big in an email anyway.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
After "Return of the Jedi" came out, I heard that the plan was to do 3 movies that took place before "A New Hope", and 3 that took place after "Jedi" (keep in mind this was in the pre-internet days.) It'd be cool to see the later ones happen, even if someone else ended up doing them, though I guess that might mean things didn't stay OK after the end of "Jedi"

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Please, no more Star Wars films. I can't bring myself

to watch the last three ever again.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

Please, no more Star Wars films. I can't bring myself

to watch the last three ever again.

I sold the prequel trilogy a couple months back. The completist in me had trouble parting with them but the part of me that enjoys good movies was happy to see them go.

I don't mind the thought of more Star Wars movies as long as Lucas himself is involved only as a consultant.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I remember hearing this too. I'd be up for another set of post return of the jedi films. I mostly liked the prequels. Not as much as the original trilogy on the whole, but all the prequel films had something going for them.
Originally Posted by Jesse Skeen

/forum/thread/305218/a-new-star-wars-trilogy#post_3742916

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'm holding out hope that George Lucas will get around to making some of those experimental non-Star Wars projects he's been talking about doing for the past 30 years.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by SD_Brian

I'm holding out hope that George Lucas will get around to making some of those experimental non-Star Wars projects he's been talking about doing for the past 30 years.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. I think Lucas is a fine director, and I wish he would stop fudging around with movies he's already made, and start some new ones. Kinda like Francis Ford Coppola is doing right now.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by SD_Brian

I love Star Wars but I'd much rather see him do that too. That being said, it would be interesting to see someone else's take on a Star Wars tale set, say, a thousand years away from the Skywalker saga but I really doubt there will be more SW movies any time soon (if ever).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Someone in another thread about the live action TV show, which is suspended because Lucas said they don't have a way to afford it film it on a TV budget, suggested a few weeks ago that that decision could spur the company back into making more films. Perhaps that is what is at the heart of this rumor. I also think that if these ever do happen, it will be with a different director(s), much the way the Clone Wars TV show has a different creative team.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is the way I feel about George Lucas...

I give him credit for having the vision and
bravery to sell something like Star Wars
back in the mid 70s despite the fact hardly

anyone believed in what he was accomplishing.

However, I don't see him as an extraordinary

director. The best Star Wars film was one he

didn't direct and that tells you something. As

a writer he is absolutely dreadful. The dialogue

in the latter Star Wars films has much to be
desired.

And if it were true more Star Wars films are

forthcoming (which at this point we assume is not)....

I agree with the comments here that George

should remain a consultant and let someone

else write and direct his next films. It has been

said too many times that the people around him

are afraid of saying "no" to him and while that

still may result in boffo box-office returns it has

left a bad taste in the mouth for fans that were

highly disappointed by the last three Star Wars

films.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Ron,

That was the original plan. I believe that at one time, Lucas had approach Frank Darabont to write and direct the first prequel based on a outline from Lucas, and with him acting as a consultant since it was his "universe".

Imagine that... a Darabont Star Wars film. I read that arond 95 or 96 I think in one of the scifi mags. Maybe Cinescape or the like when Lucas had first hinted he was really going foward with the prequels.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I really feel Lucas should do three more Star Wars films.

(and I am halfway joking about this)

He should redo them

Call them "Star Wars: Let's all just forget the last three movies"

And I apologize in advance to those of you who love

those films and will be in an uproar over my comments.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ron - Couldn't agree with you more on your opinion of Lucas as a director and a writer. IMO if the prequels (and Indy IV) showed us anything, it's that the directorial/writing talent he once commanded on films like THX 1138 (which he's messed with now as well), American Graffiti, and A New Hope was either a fluke or he's simply lost it. The prospect of more films with Lucas at the helm fail to raise any interest in me at all.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by dpippel

Ron - Couldn't agree with you more on your opinion of Lucas as a director and a writer. IMO if the prequels (and Indy IV) showed us anything, it's that the directorial/writing talent he once commanded on films like THX 1138 (which he's messed with now as well), American Graffiti, and A New Hope was either a fluke or he's simply lost it. The prospect of more films with Lucas at the helm fail to raise any interest in me at all.

I think he had the luck that several people around him were helping him with those movies. People like Walter Murch, Richard Chew, Marcia Lucas, Brian DePalma all helped out on those movies. With the prequels, he's basically doing the writing, directing and editing alone. I don't get why he wants to write them alone, since he's said multiple times that he's not a writer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks