What's new

A new MANHUNTER disc is coming July 8! (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Jon Smith

Stunt Coordinator
nah, it was because a fear and loathing thread looked very familier and the Magnificant Ambersons comment :D

Lee_eel

Second Unit
I only recently watched Manhunter and was dissapointed. This film is not as good as the remake in my opinion (which itself was good but not great).

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

No offense, but where have you guys been?
AOD IS coming out in a new BOOMSTICK edition due March 11.
It's a 2-disc set that presumably includes the theatrical and director's cut in a fully restored version.
I pre-ordered mine at BestBuy and will get a $10 BestBuy coupon. I figure they'll reduce the price when it comes out and I'll come out with a good deal.

Regarding Manhunter, how is the Director's Cut compared to the theatrical. I bought the theatrical version at a good price and was pretty happy with the movie, but if the new edition director's cut is significantly better I may upgrade.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
AOD IS coming out in a new BOOMSTICK edition due March 11.
It's a 2-disc set that presumably includes the theatrical and director's cut in a fully restored version.
Your presumption is incorrect. It'll feature the same director's cut transfer as the 3 previous releases of that cut.

DJ

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Damin and Chad are right. It is basically a repackaging (and an ugly one at that) of the 2-Disc LE from a few years back with a new fancy booklet.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
In the case of "Army of Darkness", Anchor Bay is guilty of only two things: causing consumer confusion and making all of the "AoD"-related content they have widely available to anyone who wants it. Those who got their first 2-disc SE's still have the all of the content available in R1, those who didn't can still buy those same discs seperately, and those who wait will be able to buy a non-limited version soon. I see no big problems with that. The confusion is annoying but that's about it.

MichaelW

Stunt Coordinator
Anchor Bay can bl@w me. I'm so sick of this "definitive edition" crap and then... LESS THAN ONE YEAR LATER!... a new version with something else! Although I love Manhunter, I for one will not be purchasing this DVD and will be writing the studio this afternoon.

Do you people have an endless supply of money to spend on 9 different versions of movies spread over a 4 year period of time? Obviously many of you could care less about getting bent over by a company who has no respect for its consumers... :angry:

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I don't have an endless supply of money...but I don't frown at the availability of every version of a film. Would you rather have AB not release a disc even though there is a better transfer available?

I know that the optimal situation would be for AB to have released the "right" version first, thus eliminating multiple releases...but I'd rather have multiple versions than one crappy version.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
The source of the Director’s cut was Michael Mann’s personal 1” master. As with ARMY OF DARKNESS, StudioCanal, Michael Mann’s people and myself searched the world for film elements. And again like ARMY, the film was victim to the production company’s bankruptcy.

Mr. Mann expressed an interest in doing a commentary track but only for the Director’s cut and only if ABE agreed not to release any other version of the picture but his director’s cut. His argument was that content is more important than quality. We decided that although we wanted Mr. Mann’s involvement, for commercial consideration we could not be limited in releasing a technically substandard version only --even though it’s Mr. Mann’s preferred version.
Now that, at long last, actual film elements good enough to make a transfer from have been located, you're saying it's the worst, most appalling thing ever? The hell?

MichaelW

Stunt Coordinator
I know that the optimal situation would be for AB to have released the "right" version first, thus eliminating multiple releases...but I'd rather have multiple versions than one crappy version.
Sure would have been.

Maybe I'm sounding a bit harsh on Anchor Bay. I'm just a little frustrated with the way the DVD thing seems to be going. LE, UE, Superbit, etc. I would have no problem with all of these if they were released at the same time and then people could pick and choose rationally (i.e. I prefer higher quality over supplements). But to release substandard or "average" material and then produce 2-3 versions each of which offer something more than the previous releases in terms of content and/or quality is getting a little old. I think it was understandable in the first days of DVD when studios were just cranking out titles to get them out there, but in today's market there is no excuse.

The plain and simple fact is that I think Anchor Bay never should have released the previous Director's cut to begin with knowing that it was so subpar. The fact that they have "just now" found a better version that all fans of the film will want to have? I'm sorry, but it sounds a little fishy to me. If Anchor Bay deserves the benefit of the doubt based on their past work, I apologize... but it doesn't seem that different than what all the other groups are doing.

BrentPollard

Second Unit
This is one reason I tend to rent more than purchase. I have also grown more patient and will wait a couple of years before buying most titles. There are exceptions of course LOTR EE and Criterion releases but generally I wait. On the music side I have returned to vinyl because I am tired of the endless reissues and re masters that keep coming out, Good God how many times have they reissued Dark Side Of The Moon already none of which really improved that much on the MFSL vinyl edition that I bought in 1980. And I bought 'em all . These companies can keep their cd's. Now if SACD takes off......

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I'm not sure if the DC was released seperately, I bought the two disc version. As far as I'm concerned the DC was an extra feature like a documentary or commentary. I bought it for the theatrical version. Man was I pissed when that wasn't even it! Had to rebuy the LD to get it.

Eric_R_C

Second Unit
FWIW, I will buy this version if they replace my favorite line..."as a child, my heart weeps for him. As an adult, I want to blow the sick **** out of his shoes." This is only on my old P&S VHS version, not on the "original theatrical version" DVD :frowning:

(BTW, I think this is how it went. It's been so long since I've played my VHS version)

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I'm in exactly the same boat as Mark Wilson. We never got a good answer as to why that line -- and the exchange between Will Graham and the Atlanta police chief -- was altered in this cut.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Especially when the exchange is quoted in the "Limited Edition" liner notes. I, too am personally hoping that the missing footage is restored. If this DVD has all the footage that should have been on the original DVD's and all the original supplements, I'll be completely satisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks