What's new

A NEW HOPE for unification (1 Viewer)

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Yeah, you beat me to it. ;)

Maybe there is some hope in the universe after all...

Dated June 26, 2006

http://news.com.com/Toshiba+wants+un...3-6088269.html

My response to this:

THEN DO IT!

Why are we even in this format war now, if this is really how they've felt about it? Or did something change?

If they really felt this way, why did they walk away from the negotiating table months ago?

What "oppurtunities" are they looking for? You either make it happen or you don't.

I've said all along: I would have rather not seen SQUAT in the year 2005 or 2006 if it meant a solid, awesome, unfied HD format with 100 percent support that everyone could count on, no questions asked. It would be worth the wait to get it done right, imo.

Even I would (would have) early adopt under that flag at the drop of a hat. And I'm someone who's never early adopted in over 30 years of this game.

THAT is the kind of potential customer this silly format war has turned off and turned away. I KNOW I'm not the only one, by far, that feels this way.

I still would if I see this format war put down and put to bed. If I can get high quality hardware from an A grade CE company with full studio support? No question about it. My money's on the table.

I won't get my hopes up, but damn it all if it doesn't feel kind of good to have some real hope...ANY kind of hope...

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik

Indeed.

If I recall correctly, weren't they the ones that basically walked away from the negotiating table, saying "no", and assuring us all of the cycle of frustration and futility we're all in now?

To be fair: There's plenty of blame to go all the way around...

Nick

Second Unit

Maybe the Sales of the players is not what they (Toshiba) expected.
With Unification they both have a chance to stay afloat for awhile until some new format comes along.

James D S

Screenwriter
That was my first thought as well. LOL Then I saw how many replies there were, so I knew that couldn't be it.

...I clicked the link anyway.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

I would guess that Tosh is having a very difficult time manufacturing Players and is finding them extremely costly.

We all know supply is tight, so tight that some Best Buys have sold their display models. We also know that visibility of HD-DVD is dropping now that BR is out, despite HD-DVD having better quality. Several members have reported that the HD-DVD displays at stores have been replaced with BR displays.

Plus, Intel's shifting production to Core processors leaving fewer P4's in the channels, making it harder for Tosh to aquire components if they intended to stay with the Laptop approach.

Tosh's hybrid discs are so expensive that no one will buy them over regular DVD's, they're usefull only to those who've adopted. They're also bumping their heads against the 30 gigabyte limit, and they haven't even done HD extras or one of the 3 hour+ movies yet.

Tosh might be feeling the pinch of trying to fight a format war alone. Components and Visibility could be getting tight, hybrids aren't what they were meant to be, and the space limitations may have studios concerned. They could be deciding it's time to cut losses and convert as gracefully as possible.

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
Toshiba wants to get 600,000 players into homes this year. At a $200 loss per unit sold that comes toa loss of $120,000,000. Unless they are getting serious support from other HD-DVD members, I'm sure they can't keep that up forever.

Manus

Second Unit
" Tosh's hybrid discs are so expensive that no one will buy them over regular DVD's, they're usefull only to those who've adopted. They're also bumping their heads against the 30 gigabyte limit, and they haven't even done HD extras or one of the 3 hour+ movies yet.

Tosh might be feeling the pinch of trying to fight a format war alone. Components and Visibility could be getting tight, hybrids aren't what they were meant to be, and the space limitations may have studios concerned. They could be deciding it's time to cut losses and convert as gracefully as possible "

There are an awful lot of ifs,buts and maybes in there :) I mean I dont think Bluray have done HD extras or a 3hour+ movie yet either , have they ? Maybe Sony's (tm) rootkit sin has come back to haunt them ? Or the PS3 really is just crap at playing everything else apart from games :)

Sorry, Im not into either format yet , I think Im suffering from 'speculation hypernausea syndrome' caused by the fact that there really is another treasure chest of gold there for all concerned if they'd just wise-up to a single format ! Hardware manufacturers can plan ahead and focus design energy, studios can make us buy Men in Black and the bloody White Album again, and we consumers can all say 'YES' , We're all in (eventually ) !! Money changes hands, nobody's unhappy !

Rant over ,
~M~

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
...and I just ordered a Toshiba HD-DVD player.

Somehow I think I just made a HUGE mistake!

Cavan.B

Stunt Coordinator
There's always a risk as an early adopter. Sometimes big, sometimes not. We'll have to wait and see what happens here, so don't freak yet Ron, just enjoy.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Ron,

The Toshiba is a very solid standard DVD player. Even if HD DVD fails, you can still use it for solid 480p component performance on your display......and if you do upgrade your display, it upscales commerical SD DVD very well.

Think of it this way.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I don't think Toshiba is waving a red flag here, they're simply stating that they would like to unify if the "situation arises". The best we could hope for at this point would be a dual format player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks