What's new

A new, amazing, thorough and hilarious critique of The Phantom Menace (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Travis,
I tend to agree with you that those who re-edit an artists work in this way aren't much better then say, Ted Turner when he offered to colorize films. That having been said, while I don't like it or think that there is much artistry in it, I also understand that people have done it for years - long before the digital era; even studios would offer 'cut for TV" editions, or altered cuts of their films for airflights/etc.

While these aren't done with the same intent as what people are doing on their own, the effort has always been there. I personally say: if you want to do it to something you own, more power to you. I will admit, there are a few films I have done this to, for different reasons. I have "my own cut" of Wim Wender's "Until the End of the World" which is almost five hours; it's the 3 German DVDs just connected together so that I don't have to change discs and in between 3 and 4 it's the extended cut of the outdoor concert scene which is on the Japanese Laserdisc.

But here's the thing: I wouldn't sell it, nor would I promote it as "better than" the artists cut, I won't profit from it and I won't say anything about it except it's all the content of the film I've ever found. I know quite a few people who edited Dark City (before the new Blu-Ray release) to edit out the opening monologue before they showed it to friends. And so on.

Once it's in your hands, however you want to enjoy a film is up to you. But it doesn't necessarily make it "art" or "better than" it's just how you want to enjoy it. That's all.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
SilverWook said:
Travis, have you ever watched a fan edit? Just curious...
I saw The Phantom Edit back when it came out and while I don't really remember what was 'fixed', I do remember that there was some smart changes that did help the movie. As I've said though, I'd rather see the warts and all version from the person who was actually involved with the creation of the movie than the 'better' version tinkered with by a random guy on the internet.
I've used the analogy before but if I wrote a book, shot a movie, sung a song or painted a picture, it would likely be pretty lousy and a talented person's hand would help but unless I agree to that, I don't want think anyone should mess with my (or any other person's) shitty book, movie, song or picture.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
For those who think the originals are without fault:
Luke found Obi-Wan, rescued the Princess, blew up the Death Star, and convinced Vader to kill the Emperor. But Han gets the girl?!? WTF.
Via Lapcat on twitter...

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Sam Posten said:
Luke found Obi-Wan, rescued the Princess, blew up the Death Star, and convinced Vader to kill the Emperor. But Han gets the girl?!? WTF.
Via Lapcat on twitter...
Isn't it bad enough that Luke kissed his sister on the lips at least twice, and did who knows what between Empire and Jedi? :D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
Via Lapcat on twitter...
Too funny.
I know the comment was made in jest, but really that's what Lucas gets for using a shortcut and creating the Luke and Leia are siblings storyline in order to make keep Han alive (Ford thought he should die) for the end of the original trilogy.
I clearly remember in 1997 when the re-release SEs were out, waiting in lines to watch them at the Mann Village in Westwood (one of two main theaters in L.A. where premieres are held, along with the Mann Chinese) the crowd reactions. Every time a new character would be introduced in the films the crowd would erupt (especially when Han was introduced in the Cantina scene). But the first kiss in Star Wars drew some light murmurs of but the makeout scene in Empire between them in the hospital drew loud, widespread "EWWWs" followed by general laughter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Carlo Medina said:
I know the comment was made in jest, but really that's what Lucas gets for using a shortcut and creating the Luke and Leia are siblings storyline in order to make keep Han alive (Ford thought he should die) for the end of the original trilogy.
Who knows how that would have worked onscreen but I've always thought that killing Han would have been a huge mistake for a Star Wars movie and Lucas was absolutely right in keeping him alive. Showing that there's a price that people have to pay for freedom works in many stories but Star Wars isn't a realistic portrayal of war, it's a fun movie where, in the end, the good guys win and the bad guys lose.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
To be honest I'd be fine either way with Han, either a heroic death or keeping him alive. The point was more of how, probably starting with RoTJ, Lucas started taking a lot of storytelling shortcuts rather than hashing things out the hard way in contentious meetings with other creative people (as he did with SW and ESB which were, by his own admission, much more difficult in terms of creating story, characters, dialogue, etc.). A lot of the people who were in those meetings in SW and ESB were gone by RoTJ and with the prequels he pretty much had Yes Men surrounding him and not challenging him during the creative process.
The whole "ok Luke and Leia are siblings so Han can get the girl with no muss, no fuss" is just the earliest symptom of what would later become a real trend for Lucas to have complete control over the writing process, when he himself admits that writing isn't his strong suit and I believe there was one interview I saw where he actually said he didn't like the process all that much.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Related to the the discussion on repurposing art, which could probably use its own thread in AHL:
http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2012/05/adam_yauch_and_paul_s_boutique_how_dumb_court_decisions_have_made_it_nearly_impossible_for_artists_to_sample_the_way_the_beastie_boys_did.single.html

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hrm....
http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2012/06/27/omg-this-is-brilliant-the-star-wars-that-i-used-to-know-gotye-parody/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+geeksAreSexyTechnologyNews+%28%5BGeeks+are+Sexy%5D+technology+news%29

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
For those who hated it, would you prefer this style instead?
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/12/dark-knight-funny/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Top+Stories%29

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
BTW, I just now got around to watching all of the Red Letter Media Star Wars reviews. They are so incredibly well done.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's not like there weren't gaping holes in the original trilogy either.... http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/02/battle-of-hoth/ advice for JJ: http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/02/ff-star-wars-is-back/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks