1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

A new, amazing, thorough and hilarious critique of The Phantom Menace

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Sam Posten, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/12/17/watch-this-70-minute-video-review-of-star-wars-the-phantom-menace/

A MUST SEE

2. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Well-Known Member

Man, I have not seen my DVDs in years!

3. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Well-Known Member

That thing was hilarious in spots. It also was pretty perceptive as to what went wrong with TPM.

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Well-Known Member

Pure genius! More well thought out and better written than the movie it's critiquing. Like Sam, I haven't watched my DVDs since basically I bought them (and yes, I saw them for what they were at the time but with no OOT I had to satisfy my Star Wars on DVD jones with the prequels).

I remember some of the argument PT defenders had back then: fans of the original were too old, too attached to the past, weren't the target audience, didn't understand the levels of complexity in TPM, oh, and it was aimed at kids. Time would vindicate the film.

Well guess what? It's ten years since TPM was released. Many of my friends now have kids who are at the age I was when the OOT was out and not a single one of them has PT toys or likes the PT films. It's not that the kids don't like the PT in the way that we loved the OOT. It's that they don't even register the PT as good films worth watching.

Time hasn't vindicated the film. Time has exposed it for what it was. A poorly written, poorly directed, and poorly acted (despite having three top-notch leads in Portman, MacGregor and Neeson) film being masked by a lot of special effects that the creator himself, twenty years prior, said should never get in the way of a good story.

And it only took a psychopathic murderer to encapsulate it all and put it on YouTube! What a great world we live in!

And in all seriousness, despite the goofy parts of the documentary, it is spot on in its analysis of what makes genre films great and its exposure of how TPM fails to provide any of those elements.

5. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Well-Known Member

Wow it's 10 years already? We are getting old. No special event organized by the Lucasfilm for the tenth anniversary? Aren't you going to celebrate the anniversary? /img/vbsmilies/htf/wink.gif

6. RickER

RickER Well-Known Member

Rick
    Well, at least The Clone Wars TV series is good!

7. Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins Well-Known Member

Quote:
    Well my anecdotal evidence is different than yours. My own kids love TPM and watch it quite often. And all the kids at my daughter's school (particularly the boys) love Star Wars, particularly the PT.

8. RobertR

RobertR Well-Known Member

FAR more entertaining than the film itself. I had really forgotten how awful it is.

9. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Cool, glad you guys liked it. Wasn't sure this old a film would get this much discussion =p

10. drobbins

drobbins Well-Known Member

I only sat through the first few minutes of the commentary. I couldn't stand his goofy voice. I still like the Star Wars story and I enjoy TPM. I agree that it could have done quite well with out Jarjar though. Padme's speach stating that "I was not elected to watch my people die while this is discussed in a committee" is in my opinion more powerful than "You can't handle the truth" (but is far less useful to quote. :)) I think any fantasy movie can be picked apart fairly easily if one spends the time doing those things. Look at how many times Froto dies in LOTR or how many time the kids in HP get into a situation and a new spell conveniently saves them.

11. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Well-Known Member

Chuck Mayer
    The kids around here could give a fig about either trilogy. But man, they love the cartoon Clone Wars

Star Wars is a very big deal for kids, but it is the cartoon they know.

12. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

If it was 1999, this would be funny. Since it's 2009, it's just sad that there's someone whose life is so empty that they spent hours of their life making a video to cry about a decade old movie. If someone didn't like it, they didn't like it but it's time to move on and find something that they do like.

13. Chris Atkins

Quote:
    Then why does my 3 year old boy want to recreate the TPM duel every night before he goes to bed?! LOL

14. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Well-Known Member

Chuck Mayer
    Bad parenting??

15. Chris Atkins

Quote:
    Touche. :) However, and trust me on this one, I did not influence him one bit in his love for TPM. I let him watch it and it naturally grew on him. :)

16. RobertR

Let him watch it? /img/vbsmilies/htf/tongue.gif

17. Chad R

Chad R Well-Known Member

Chad Rouch
    This is about how I feel. There's no amount of complaining or critiquing that's going to change it. It is what it is. You either like it or you don't.

18. RobertR

I've been around HTF long enough to know that for some people, there's never a good time to ridicule the PT--not now, not 5 years ago, not 10 years ago. /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

19. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Well-Known Member

Same here.
    The analysis videos are bang on.

20. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I'm assuming the people who are suggesting this is an unwarranted criticism are NOT among the group who felt like their best childhood memories were tainted or murdered by TPM? =p From 1977-1988 or so I lived and breathed Star Wars. TPM and its ham-fisted tax revolt and disgusting midiclorians felt like a knife stuck in my childhood....