What's new

"A Midnight Clear" is coming from Columbia. My fingers are crossed. (1 Viewer)

Terry H

Second Unit
The really sad thing is that when sales flop they will decide there is no demand. They will never even consider that sales were poor because they butchered the film. This really pisses me off. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
This is a goddam travesty. If Keith Gordon were Ron Howard, this wouldn't happen.

Shame on you, Columbia. What you're doing to this movie is sickening.

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
It is rather disturbing. Why is it that it always seems the ones making these decisions are completely in the dark? They just don't get it. Is it not obvious that the people that will most likely buy this movie on DVD would much prefer the OAR version of the film rather than a full frame version? That, in fact, they will not buy it in the full frame version? They will be losing a bunch of sales of this fine film on DVD because of this decision.

I have never really been overly concerned in the widescreen/full frame debate...until now. This one really hits home. I really wanted this movie on DVD, but I will not be buying it if it is only offered in a full frame version.

Such a shame.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Columbia has elected to present it in full frame only
Well, I guess that settles that. I wish I could get angry over this, but that would mean I didn't expect this to happen. Of course, Columbia keeps up their reputation and ruins our hopes.

Bruce

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Count me in as one who would have bought this in an anamorphic widescreen version, but absolutely not now. What's the point? I'm sick of this stupidity. Well, more money for studios that care.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Lost my sale.....
Is ANYONE actually gonna buy this...?!?!?!?
Boycott petition, anyone??
:frowning: D

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Is it not obvious that the people that will most likely buy this movie on DVD would much prefer the OAR version of the film rather than a full frame version? That, in fact, they will not buy it in the full frame version? They will be losing a bunch of sales of this fine film on DVD because of this decision.
I agree 100%. A Midnight Clear is an obscure film and people most likely buy it on DVD would prefer the OAR version. It really isn't a film that a J6P would be interested in.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
My God. The movies isnt even that long, is it? Couldnt they at least do both OAR and Bullshit version?

GO TO HELL COLUMBIA.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
Well, AMC was on my most-wanted-on-dvd list so you can imagine how excited I was to hear that it was coming out! However, I will NOT buy it if it is not in its OAR. End of story. Ya hear that, Columbia?
As much as I hate to say this, I think a petition is in order... :frowning:

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I already have this film in full-frame on laser. No reason to upgrade now. Thanks, Clo-dumbia, for saving me $20. :angry:

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
What BS!
Looks like a port of the laserdisc... same full screen non OAR transfer, same Pro Logic 2.0 surround, only dilluted down to probably 192kbps.
Who on Earth do they actually expect will buy this now?
You can keep my copy Columbia! :angry:

Bob Partovi

Stunt Coordinator
This movie is awesome. I am dissapointed as well. I once had a german roomate and he told me about a German movie that seems to be a mirror image of this movie. Wonder if there is a German original and if it's out on DVD as well?

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I saw this film when it was originally released in theaters. Its one of my all time favorites. I am literally disgusted at the news that it will be P&S only.

No way will I purchase this title....What the hell are you thinking Columbia??? This is not some cheesy comedy that no one cares about like "Mo Money" that you can treat with no respect.

Will K

Screenwriter
This is one of those films I've always heard is good but never got around to seeing. This P&S crap certainly does not give me any incentive. Shame on you, Sony!

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
The titles that Columbia have recently announced for full frame or p&s release are all comedies or family fare. They obviously are going with some of the market research that says that these titles sell better in that format.
On the other hand, for all serious dramas and arthouse movies, and I would put this one somewhere in between, all of their releases have been OAR. I wouldn't worry a bit.
When I saw this post I got very angry. Not because I thought he was wrong (which I did), but because of the "don't worry" attitude. It seems that when it comes to Non-OAR DVDs, a lot of people have a "every man for himself" attitude until their film is one of the ones affected. There are still thousands of members of this forum who have not signed the petition, probably because none of the films being butchered are ones that they care about.
Everyone who cares about OAR needs to sign the petition. We did it for Willie Wonka, we can do it for Columbia. If people wait until it's one of their films that Columbi releases NON-OAR, it may be too late.
Of all the films that Columbia is doing an injustice to, A Midnight Clear is the one that hurts me the most. I love this film and purposely did not buy the laser as it was NON-OAR. I now pray that Columbia releases this film in the UK where there is a chance it will be OAR. If not it looks like it will be some time before I get to see this fine film again.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
There are many in various threads who have the "don't worry, widescreen will never go away" attitude. I have always held the position that, no, it will never go away but be relegated to a niche item the way widescreen VHS retailed.

Hopefully, some of the naysayers are getting some jolts from all of this fullscreen nonsense the studios are pulling.

All we can do is sign the petitions and make our voice heard (and our wallets).

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
This is very disheartening. Every non-OAR DVD released should feel like a hit to the HTF crowd. No matter how insignificant the title. I had no interest in this title, except maybe as a rental, but this makes me extremely pissed off. I feel really bad for everyone that wanted this film. And it makes me very scared that one of my most wanted films may be released the same way.

I don't understand Colombia's stance on this at all. Releasing mainstream, Blockbuster fodder, in pan n' scan at least makes sense to me. But why release a DVD that only film buffs are going to want that way? People's stupid decisions never cease to amaze me.

Thank god Real Genius is getting the widescreen treatment. Everybody that wanted A Midnight Clear should buy Real Genius, maybe that will send them a message as to what versions we want. But they're probably too stupid to notice anyways.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Columbia will lose big with this DVD release -- the lesser known or obscure movies are NOT bought by the type of people who want pan-and-scan crap. They're bought by us, who demand OAR!

What a shame, as this is a first-rate modern war movie.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Wow - 2 page discussion on "A Midnight Clear"? I thought I was the only one who ever saw this movie!

Now that I have the bad news, I think I'll simply hold my tongue so as to avoid another "Belle de jour" situation... but everything I said about Buena Vista then applies to Columbia now. I won't actually write those words, but you know the ones I mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks