What's new

A little money to burn (1 Viewer)

googus

Grip
Real Name
Greg
Ok guy I know I am new but to be honest I don't know who else to ask so here we go with a couple of questions.

I have a Mitsubishi 1080 46in Projection TV that the Convergence is wacked. Ghost like picture with blue and red. I tried to open it up and it looked like a different world:eek:

Here is the process:
I have a budget of around 1500.00 buck and would liek to get a blue ray player in that cost. I will be looking to sell of my Custom Speakers and my Denon AVR2801 to go towards slimer look per say. I don't really want a high end small LCD and I would like to be in the 42-56in screen size.

1)What is a best 42in and up TV for the $$?
Sorry I dont have model # but I was looking @ 46 Visio lcd, Sony 42 lcd and a Samsung 56 DLP.
2) Is Blue Ray the way to go or should I stick to regular Progresive DVD?
3) What is a good slim stereo system (IE like bose life style sytems)

Thanks
Greg
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
OK, if I'm translating correctly you would like to buy a completely new system & some of the money will come from selling off your Denon and speakers.

1) I would look at Panasonic and avoid Sony (Pioneer's are nice as well but more $$$).
2) Go with a multi-format player (i.e. can play BluRay and upconvert DVDs). A Sony PS3 makes a great BluRay player and they can be purchased cheaply. Upgrades are also very easy (connect to the Net & you're done).
3) 99% of people are going to tell you that there are no "good" slimline systems. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? If you are trying to save floorspace then consider monitor sized speakers (wall mounted or a _quality_ in-wall design). I would keep your Denon receiver and run the video signals directly into your TV using HDMI cables (use the receiver to switch the audio only).

Also, have you gone into the service menu of your Mits TV and fixed the convergence problem? Perhaps it may be worth spending a few $$$ on a ISF calibration instead of buying a new TV? Read up in the TV section of this forum for more info...

googus

Grip
Real Name
Greg
Thanks for the quick reply!!!

I visited a store today on the way home they had the following which I liked
Samsung - 56" rear projection TV - Widescreen - Piano black
Mitsubishi - 60" rear projection TV - Widescreen - Platinum black with metallic accent

Walmart.com: Sony 46" Class Bravia Full HD 1080p LCD HDTV w/ Digital Tuner, KDL-46S4100 - Energy Star Compliant: TVs

I think you are correct about my Denon2801 It has great sound and never had a problem. My better half just doesn't like the size of it. The receiver is about 7 yrs old and does not have HDMI anyway. I just use it as a sound source. My bibbest issue is a TV shoot they are worse then buying a car or computer!
I called three guys to just come out to look at my Mitsubishi and the cheapest one just to come and look at it without fixing it was 150bucks ouch.. I do have to admit when the TV does work it still looks good.
Greg

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al

I had a similar problem and also thought the set's time was up. It worked out that it just needed new convergence ICs. They were about $7 - and while I gather it's a job I could have done myself, I opted to pay the $300 and not fry myself. Anyway, if you liked the set you may want to look into fixing it.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

I actually did replace the Convergence IC's on my Hitachi RP. It's not too difficult if you have some soldering experience (I had electronics shop in school). Total cost was under $50.

googus

Grip
Real Name
Greg
Thanks guys. I have 0% experiance and when I opened the back up since most feedback said it might be just a cold solder I thought I was in a different world
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
I will give a repair guys one more chance but they are just so expensive.

My wife is pusing hard for a new TV I guess for me that in a whole is not a bad thing! But money is another question and shopping for a new TV is already nerve racking.

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
For reviews on the different tvs you're considering, I would go to CNET.com.

That's one of the best places on the web for information about new tvs.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Denon for example sells some nice Lifestyle-esque stereo systems and IMO they use much better speaker components and in turn sound much better too (here's one).

And IMO many of those so-called "soundbars" with separate subwoofers can sound good too.

googus

Grip
Real Name
Greg
OK guys I am still shopping and this is worse than shopping for a car!!

Now I was at PC Richards last night and the sales guy was pretty much givinh away a Mitsubishi wd-60735 with a pretty nice stand for 950.00.

Now the hard question is do I get a larger DLP or a smaller LCD for the price?

Oh my view distance will be an average 10ft away.

Thanks
Greg

googus

Grip
Real Name
Greg
I am still looking for a new TV since I just sold my 46 Mitsubishi.

I was at a store last night and the sales guy(seemed to be) giving away a 60 Mitsubishi 60 DLP 1080 TV with stand for 900 bucks.

Now the question I have is should I go big with a DLP or get a smaller lcd for the price like a 46in. Average viewing is 7-10ft

werty7777

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Martin
I have the WD-73732. I will say that for that price of that 60" your speaking of it would be bought already. Now I really think that the Mitsu TV's aren't any where close to the best TV on the market. I think my 1080i 65" Sony RPTV has a better pic than my 73" Mitsu. I believe that cost drives all choices for the average person. At 900 bucks for a Mitsu 60" DLP I think you can't go wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks