What's new

A.I. Release on 12/18/01? (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Along with IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE, this is the only 2001 film I'm looking forward to on DVD (so far!). I sure do hope it's 2-discer with tons and tons of pre-production material, including all the artwork and storyboards developed by Kubrick, the faxes and correspondences between Kubrick and Spielberg, the various permutations of the script... there's just so much great material!
And I hope they consider doing a commentary track. Possible participants: Jan Harlin, Armond White, Kristiane Kubrick, Leon Vitale, Brian Aldiss, Ian Watson, HJ Osment... perhaps even Mr. Spielberg himself?
------------------
"Only one is a wanderer; two together are always going somewhere."
ver.gif

Link Removed
Al's Criterion Collection

Anthony_D

Stunt Coordinator
yeah...tino...the same guy who "has" a script for the next STAR TRKE movie! LOL
------------------

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Anthony D
Can I help you with something, besides spelling?
biggrin.gif

FWIW, I too hope this information is true as A.I. is currently my favorite film of the year and the sooner I own it, the better.
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.
[Edited last by Tino on October 01, 2001 at 04:55 PM]
[Edited last by Tino on October 01, 2001 at 05:00 PM]

Anthony_D

Stunt Coordinator
you could help me to believe that you actually have a script to the next star trek movie...I don't believe you for one minute yet you come here and question other people???? something wrong with that picture, methinks!
[Edited last by Anthony_D on October 01, 2001 at 05:15 PM]

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If it does come out earlier than later, I hope it's not at the expense of extras.
I also really hope they have a commentary track by a third-party, not involved with the film, a la Ebert's for "Dark City". I think A.I. is a perfect movie for critical analysis of what was accomplished; I would actually prefer that before a Spielberg commentary.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
How DARE anyone question any information that's posted on the internet, right Anthony. We all know of course that everything that has ever been reported has turned out to be true, riiiiight?
rolleyes.gif

My initial post was not meant to infer that Matt was lying, it merely questioned the information since contrary information had been previously reported on DVD file and The Digital Bits.
BTW, Anthony, ya got me. I made up that whole Star Trek script and even got Dark Horizons and Ain't It Cool News to review it too. Pretty slick eh?
laugh.gif

------------------

Adrian_P

Stunt Coordinator
I really enjoyed this film and would love to see it on DVD sooner rather than later. But like DaveF said if it is at the expense of extras I would rather it later. After all just over a month isn't too long a wait.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Tino,
I was just bustin your chops, dude! I've been on this thing almost 3 years and know how the false claims of "wolf" hit about every 6 to 8 hours!! LOL..
I really hesitated to post this, as I know how many quality film goers we have here who actually appreciate this flick and feel passionately about it. Due to my wife's pregnancy this summer, I missed alot of films I'm waiting for on DVD and this one is toward the top. Honestly,though- my source has been good and when I saw the other two confirmations come up, I thought it was time. I'm still working on a final "yeah or nay" from my contact and will scoot right back to this thread to post it.
BTW- I hear they pay really good in Congress; definitely good for buying that front projector system
wink.gif

Matt
------------------
"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

John O

Stunt Coordinator
I never caught this one in the theater, so I hope they re-release it before the end of the year. As far as Dreamworks and other potential Oscar contenders are concerned The Last Castle might be good enough. Rod Lurie and Dreamworks had multiple nominee The Contender last year, maybe lightning will strike twice.
Off topic
Anthony_D- I have known Tino for more than 10 years now and I have borrowed many scripts from him. In fact, the next time I see him I plan on hitting him up for the Star Trek script in question :).

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
JohnO
No problem. Next time you're in the area, let me know and I'll bring it for you to read.
I actually should be receiving the script for A.I Artificial Intelligence soon btw. I can't wait to read it to see how much, if anything, was changed.
Again, a one of a kind film. :)
------------------

Annie G

Auditioning
So..Matt, do you have confirmation on this date or do you owe Tino an apology?
biggrin.gif

BTW, I'd rather see this on DVD sooner than later but recent reports are now leaning towards the latter.
Just wondering which date is the correct one. :)
------------------

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
So, what is the latest word on this? Is this still a hard date or not? I don't see Amazon pre-selling this title at all.
~Edwin

Jacob_St

Second Unit
Video Store magazine states early 2002. There's an article in the current issue that mentions that an A.I. video game will be released to coincide with the video release in early 2002. Don't ask how or why they would make a video game for this flick.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well as devil's advocate here then...if it's coming from a previously reliable source then their must be a reason for changing.
Could it be that an Oscar theatrical rerelease is being killed due to cost and that instead a major DVD release push is going to be used to bolster A.I.'s Oscar presence?
Keep this in mind, Dreamworks is pushing for SHREK to get the Oscar bid. Yes, really. They've already been laying groundwork for it's big Oscar promotion. That leads me to believe that they will NOT be pursuing a theatrical rerelease for AI to get a Best Pix.
And that leads me to believe that IF (big if) they were simply delaying the DVD release by 1 month to make room for the Oscar bid theatrical rerelease, then that would become a moot point and their attention would turn to XMAS money instead.
So in that regard it makes sense for them to CHANGE their target date by more than a month.
But obviously people are going to be skeptical when a major DVD release date gets pulled in by more than a month. Thus Tino's questioning...
And please don't slag me for reporting that Shrek is getting the push instead of AI. I know you don't like to hear it, but that's what has been brewing for months now - they might shift to AI, but I don't expect it. Dreamworks knows this system (obviously) as does Miramax. Gladiator showed us all what a popular but average film can do so there is no reason to doubt a Shrek campaign could succeed.
Wouldn't it be odd if Shrek got a best pix nomination, but lost to Monsters Inc in animation? Could happen.
And, no, I do not think Shrek is the best pix of 2001, nor that it deserves a nomination. I just see them pushing for it and quite possibly getting it. I think AI would have a better "chance" in terms of quality. My vote goes to Memento at this point, Moulin Rouge 2nd.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I'm anxiously awaiting the release of A.I., but I'm wondering if the Twin Towers will be removed? There was conflicting information last I read about it.
It's hard to fathom Dreamworks making a Oscar push for A.I.. It was a fantastic film, but it had mixed reviews where as Shrek seemed to be universally praised, although it was a weaker film.
It's going to be interesting to see what happens. I'm sure Dreamworks feels that with such another weak slate of films in the year 2001, it probably would behoov them to push Shrek.
------------------
fightclub33.jpg

[Edited last by Tom_G on November 12, 2001 at 03:12 PM]

Re: The Oscar discussion on A.I., don't forget the Warner factor: Because of their relationship with Kubrick, they released the film theatrically and would therefore be the studio hyping it to the academy. So A.I. isn't really going to be competing with Shrek for DreamWorks' Academy marketing dollars.
The Warner angle means A.I.'s Oscar approach could work out a number of ways. If, on the one hand, Warner doesn't want to spend a lot of money on a film Spielberg made (i.e., one that ultimately accrues goodwill to a guy who doesn't direct for Warner anymore and in fact runs a company whose success benefits Universal), then they might decide to punt on it. If, on the other hand, Warner has such a bad year, prestige-pictures-wise (I mean, I'm psyched for Harry Potter too, but I'm not expecting Chris Columbus or Daniel Radcliffe winning little gold men) and they need something to hype to the Academy, A.I. might be their only ticket. Or maybe Warner and DreamWorks would each hype the film to the Academy because of the studios' unusual sharing deal on the picture, giving A.I. an extra leg up. That is, if the two studios don't cancel each other out by expecting the other to do the hyping. It's too soon to tell.
Prediction: A.I. has no hope for Best Picture or Director, but Jude Law, with the right promotional TLC, could definitely get a nomination for Best Supporting Actor (would be his second). Even people who despised A.I. -- and there were many -- generally praised his performance as subtle and smart.
------------------
CMM

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Annie,
Does that G stand for "Get Your Gun"?
BTW - My source was wrong this time, I believe. A pre-order for retailers should've came up about two weeks ago to get any title for Dec.
Matt
------------------
"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Seth, Interesting though. But wouldn't it be better, Oscar-wise, to have a nice special edition DVD to send the Academy members (like Gladiator) instead of re-releasing it? That seems to be more effective these days. :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Annie G
laugh.gif

Matt
Even some of us in Congress are wrong once in a while.
biggrin.gif

Plenty of DVD's to hold me over till A.I gets released next year. Still hoping for a theatrical re-release. One last time on the big screen would be very nice indeed.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks