What's new

A Few Words About A few words re: The Adventures of Robin Hood (1 Viewer)

DeeF

Screenwriter
Robin Hood...

At 1:27:34, an automobile can be seen driving behind the trees, just as Will Scarlett gets off his horse to rescue Much.

:D

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Rob wrote:
The thing to remember in any discussion about the proper "look" of Technicolor at any historical point is that one of Technicolor's biggest strengths was its flexibility in achieving any look the director and the director of photography wanted. It's entirely possible that "The Adventures of Robin Hood" originally had color values resembling those on the DVD. Ditto "The Garden of Allah". 20th Century Fox in the 1940s used the most garish Technicolor in films like "The Gang's All Here" and "Diamond Horseshow".

I've seen "The Adventures of Robin Hood" many times theatrically over the past thirty years (sorry, my original-run movie-going goes back to "The Alamo" and no farther...) and it's always had the lush, colorful look that we commonly attribute to classic Technicolor today. Scott MacQueen screened "The Garden of Allah" at a Cinecon about 5 years ago and while the picture is terrific eye-candy serving a dull story, the visual presentation was stunning, as is the DVD ....

... The bottom line is this: Technicolor has, from the beginning, been able to look pretty much any way you wanted it to.
This is what the available evidence certainly seems to suggest, Rob. Nicely summated -- thanks for the info. :emoji_thumbsup:

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
One word review of this restoration: Wow!

Colors are absolutely sparkling and, more important, flesh tones look right on. Highly recommended!

Rob

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
DTS on LoA does not make tbe film, or its audio better. In the case of LoA DTS is used as a carrier for audio information. It works perfectly in that regard, replacing delicate and expensive magnetic tracks. There is no improvement.
RAH,

Thanks for saying that. I always find it slightly curious when folks refer to DTS (or even DD for that matter) as "enhancing" the original sound quality.

Were we to have a perfect codec...and take the magnetic master or even an old optical soundtrack and encode it with DSD or 24/192 PCM...we would have a transparent digital encoding that faithfully represents the original....not anything "better".

Conversely, even an old optical soundtrack loses something to my ear with low bit-rate DD encoding. And those who have heard high-quality magnetic tracks know that they often sound better than 16/44.1 PCM!

Anyway...

Excited about getting this one (I bought the 3-pack)!!!! :D :D :D

-dave :)

Philip Swan

Auditioning
I've been enjoying this discussion about Technicolor, and one of the posts mentions that some of the color of these films has been 'adjusted' for modern audiences. I recently bought Warner's 2-in-1 disc of HOUSE OF WAX (1953) paired with its 1933 two-color Technicolor predecessor, MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM. The two-color process only registered shades of red and green - imagine my horror upon seeing that in preparing the digital transfer, Warners had in one scene changed Fay Wray's dress from green to BLUE!!! I've seen this film many times,in theatres and on video, big screen and small, and noticed the difference immediately. But I got out my videotape just to be sure and cued it up to the same scene. They've tampered with the film! What to do? And, knowing Warners, who knows if they actually preserved the original color format?

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Dave wrote:
This is the same point of view I took with the digitally cleaned Sleeping Beauty. While not something that characterizes all films, I do think, as you say, there are times when the artistic intent can be appropriately served by these techniques.
For me, the most persistent problem with SB (and the reason I still haven't bought it) was the decision to reformat it in accord with reduction printing. Just as you've recently praised "opening" The Lion King to 1.66:1 to improve composition and offer the fully intended/captured animated images, so too Sleeping Beauty should have been transferred at ~2.2:1 to capture its full large format origins (eight perforation 35mm Technirama). By transferring it at 2.40:1 (the box says 2.35:1, but if it's the Panavision or CinemaScope spec, it'd be 2.39:1), Disney has recomposed the film. I'm a big believer in careful digital cleaning and improvements to color saturation/detail in keeping with reasonably certain artistic intent, as per above, but when a film is recomposed to a lesser standard (the reduction spec, rather than the original, large format spec), particularly a film specifically designed for large format (I'd make the same argument for any film shot large format, though), the purist in me goes into convulsions. :) There are more important things to worry about, of course, but just as I wanted to weep when I learned that large portions of Rembrandt's Night Watch had been cut away so that it would fit the frames desired by various owners (a fact I learned from a tour guide while standing in front of that magnificent painting), I can't bring myself to endorse any film print or home video master that needlessly, arbitrarily removes a portion of the original image. I don't weep (at least the full original still exists in this case, though I certainly wouldn't equate Disney and Rembrandt! :)), but my dander rises and after a bit of venting ... I ultimately pass on the release.

There's no particular reason my personal standards for this sort of thing should keep anyone else from buying and enjoying a film, and it isn't that I'm necessarily recommending others pass on the release as well ... but I just can't get past the reformatting of an image. Digital cleaning, sprucing up the color saturation, remixing the sound ... others balk at these, and I respect that dissent, but so long as values remain consistent with the original values, even if they don't mirror them, I don't really mind at the end of the day. Arbitrary and needless changes bother me more. But the elimination of picture area (here seemingly done simply to conform to the "standard" Scope spec, as one of the Disney execs said they actually scanned the film from 65mm restoration elements) ... that gets under my skin.

I'm still curious whether or not, in scanning their files back to film (if they've done so), Disney found it necessary to scan to four perf 35mm reduction because, despite originating with 65mm restoration, their resolution was just too low to support new large format elements. I'd guess they worked at 2K, and if so this might well be the case. If they worked at 4K or any combination of resolutions amounting to greater than 2K, it seems less likely a viable large format element could not be created. Robert Harris has mentioned elsewhere that a VistaVision element he's working on at the moment (also eight perforation 35mm) has responded very well to scanning at 6K and then re-scanning to film at 3K, for instance. But if Disney created their DVD transfer directly from digital files, rather than a re-scanned film element, there's no reason I can see why they could not maintain the full image area of original large format scans (dictating an AR of ~2.2:1), however "down-rezed" the transfer. In fact, if rescanning to four perf 35mm film, I'm not sure that it wouldn't have been wise to fit that 2.2:1 original area image into the 2.40:1 spec without cropping, thus leaving dead space to the left and right. The resultant image still lacks the definition of the original large format (it's still a reduction image, in other words), but at least it wouldn't lose image area.

Oh well -- that release has come and gone. But my mind sticks on these issues, and they ultimately stand in the way of my enjoyment of the film. With Robin Hood, as Rob (not Mr. Hood, the other Rob) explained very well earlier, and as I believed from available evidence all along, there's no concrete reason yet offered why the original prints could not have been timed similarly to the current DVD -- the potential was there in the 3-Strip negative, and the printing technology seems to have supported very lush timing schemes on the likes of The Garden of Allah and other films Rob and I named in the same time period (though only someone who attended showings in that time, or someone who has access to a general release print from the era free of fading and any serious decomposition, could presumably say with certainty). So ... I'm not worried. It sounds like a phenomenal release. But if it had been matted to 1.66:1 to take advantage of 16x9 formatting, I'd be furious! As would we all. While SB was issued in CinemaScope-compliant reduction during its run (so far as I've heard), that isn't how the film was designed, nor is it its original (and thus default or "truest") form. Because that truest form is achievable, and because it was decided not to achieve it ... well, there ya' have it. :)

But that's all afield of what you were saying, Dave -- I agree completely that a cleaned, carefully "improved" film print or DVD transfer, if in keeping with the potential of the original elements and the intent of the filmmakers so far as such can be reasonably determined, is often cause for celebration, rather than scorn. :emoji_thumbsup:

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
For those interested in an approximation of the color timing of the original film I suggest the following book: Errol Flynn: The movie Posters. This gorgeous book has an excellent section on Robin Hood, including a series of lobby cards that have stills (or publicity shots) from the film. I'm not certain if the look of these lobby cards is representative of the 'sepia' tone that Mr. Harris was speaking of, but I could definitely see that term applied to them, based on the color qualities of the cards.

Ebay has some of these same cards listed, here's the one I found especially noteworthy:
Robin and Marian

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Don't be fooled by lobby cards and reduction prints/private collection dupes, guys. Note the lobby cards for Becky Sharp in the links in my original post about this. They look absolutely nothing like the finished film, which has very intense blues and lovely renditions of other colors in the frame references provided on The Widescreen Museum, frame references that purport accuracy to the original form, though I believe indications of fading are still evident, and at least one is designated as "newly created in the 80's" in a process specifically intended to approximate original color values -- something along those lines (you'll find the lobby cards in question alongside some of these frame references). Only a vintage, unfaded print from the original release, or the recollections of one who saw such a print, could reliably steer us away from alternate choices in prints/masters made after the fact and/or the misleading cues of faded elements or lobby cards/blow-ups.

Rob Ray

Agent
Bill,

Far be it from me to tell you what to buy and not buy, but I've seen "Sleeping Beauty" many times in 70mm (at the late, great Windsor Cinerama in Houston, at Long Beach's Widescreen Festival, and at Hollywood's El Capitan) and the DVD is about the best home video representation of that experience I could imagine this side of High Definition video. There's a sliver missing at the bottom, as witnessed by the tight framing of one of the title cards, but this whole 2.39 vs 2.2 debate is within the range of most theatres' screen masking anyway and few filmmakers frame their image to that precise a framing. Not only is the disc lovely, but I've only once (at the Windsor back in the pre-restored 70s) seen a presentation as impressive as this disc. (Long Beach's Carpenter Center was notorious for its projection glitches and the El Capitan screening did not have a very impressive stereo mix...)

Within the last two weeks, I saw "How the West Was Won" three times at the Cinerama Dome and each time I noticed that there was a lot of image running off the top and both sides of the screen. I submit that most filmmakers realize this, plan accordingly and that the "Sleeping Beauty" DVD is just barely within the range of acceptability as far as its framing goes. Life's too short -- get SB and enjoy!

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Nope! This touches on another intense discussion of late regarding the masking of Ultra Panavision in theatres. The negative and projection aperture specs for UP* are both 2.76:1 (the latter reduced from the former, but the same shape). That some theatres masked this further for projection convenience/screen size limitations doesn't really interest me -- the film was shot for 2.76:1 as its ideal, as its "native" ratio. Many filmmakers protect for 1.33:1 when shooting 1.85:1 (and in Super35 2.39:1), but that doesn't make 1.33:1 as valid as the "true" or intended ratio. The projection spec for Super Technirama 70 is 2.2:1 (the negative spec, in this case, yields a slightly different AR: 2.25:1, but the projection spec is presumably what would represent the largest "protected" area of negative). It isn't that 2.39:1 is false to a theatrical experience, as I noted earlier -- reduction prints were issued at that ratio. It's that the film was specifically designed as a large format "event" picture, and any film shot in large format should remain true to its large format origins. Referencing the TWM's spec page for Technirama gives specific measurements for the negative real estate, in inches, lost in reduction. In both film and home video forms, that loss is noteworthy and recomposes the film (the differential seems similar to that between 1.66:1 and 1.85:1, and films thus recomposed have certainly invited some fan ire, but I'm unsure just how the math works out ... it's more or less a 19% change in both, yes?).

At any rate ... in the words of Sylvester Stallone ... "I'm happy that you're happy."** :D It's all personal taste/priority, and I know with great certainty that I'm happy with discs with which others are not. To each their own, but I'll be waiting for an uncropped 2.2:1 edition of Sleeping Beauty! (Ado Annie and I will both do our immitation of a crawfish as we stubbornly await the passing of these temptations).

* http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/wide...isionspecs.htm

** Demolition Man

DeeF

Screenwriter
I've been enjoying this discussion about Technicolor, and one of the posts mentions that some of the color of these films has been 'adjusted' for modern audiences. I recently bought Warner's 2-in-1 disc of HOUSE OF WAX (1953) paired with its 1933 two-color Technicolor predecessor, MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM. The two-color process only registered shades of red and green - imagine my horror upon seeing that in preparing the digital transfer, Warners had in one scene changed Fay Wray's dress from green to BLUE!!! I've seen this film many times,in theatres and on video, big screen and small, and noticed the difference immediately. But I got out my videotape just to be sure and cued it up to the same scene. They've tampered with the film! What to do? And, knowing Warners, who knows if they actually preserved the original color format?
I think you're mistaken about this. THE MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM was printed with two subtractive colors, a blue-green (akin to cyan) and a red-orange, or peach/salmon color. The DVD shows no pure blues or yellows. I'm fairly certain that Warners would not have changed the colors for the DVD -- it's not that commercial a project.

As to the color of ROBIN HOOD, since I received the DVD, I have heard every theory about what the original color was like. Some people have mentioned that the original colors were darker, more muted, because of the actual celluloid film quality. Others have said that Technicolor was bright, brighter than life, and this current DVD doesn't reflect this, because it is too natural, not saturated enough. I have heard another theory, that before this movie, Natalie Kalmus insisted on muted colors for costumes, etc., because she didn't think that bright colors could be achieved, but she was thrown off the set of Robin Hood, partly because they were going for bright colors.

All I can say is, the DVD looks amazingly beautiful. The colors are bright, but not distractingly so. Because of the process of digitally compositing the separately-scanned matrices, I would guess that the color is as close as we can get to the original, without reprinting on original stock film.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Don't be fooled by lobby cards and reduction prints/private collection dupes, guys.
That's why I called it an approximation Bill, they're representative of a different color timing scheme than the DVD screen caps we're seeing. I posted it because it gave me something tangible to grasp on the potential differences between the two color timings, I've seen the criterion laserdisc, but I felt that the colors seemed muted, especially after seeing IB tech prints a few months later of the Red Shoes and Ten Commandments. And before we have a ten paragraph post, I do know that they are both a decade or more later than Robin Hood. Again seeing the last surviving nitrate Dye Transfer print of Red Shoes gave me a VERY good handle on the color capabilities that 3 strip technicolor could display. the new DVD of Robin Hood seems closer to the color potential 3 strip offered--and apparently that rich color information was recorded on the negatives. But differences in technological and aesthetic determinations meant the potential in the negative was not fully utilized until now.
Adam

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I just watched the making-of documentary on Turner Classic Movies... it looks like they used the remastered version in the doc.

...and does anyone notice that TCM will air movies about to be released to DVD on the day before streeting?

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
...and does anyone notice that TCM will air movies about to be released to DVD on the day before streeting?
This has been happening for a while..Obviously TCM and Warner Brothers are coordinating their activities with eachother. It makes total sense.

I was watching too, and Robert Osborne mentioned before both features, that they were celebrating Curtiz in honor of the first-time DVD release tomorrow of both ROBIN HOOD and YANKEE.

The difference between what the old transfer of ROBIN HOOD that they broadcast looked like, and the clips from the new transfer in the docu were dramatic. Gorgeous colors, sharp crisp images, superb definition.

I cannot wait to buy that Warner Legends box tomorrow morning (and SCARFACE too!)

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
the new DVD of Robin Hood seems closer to the color potential 3 strip offered--and apparently that rich color information was recorded on the negatives. But differences in technological and aesthetic determinations meant the potential in the negative was not fully utilized until now.
I'm glad to see we agree, Adam (post #27). But the specific color schemes (tone and even depth) may have been offered by Technicolor's Process #4, with printing, from the very beginning, as Rob and I have both addressed. Alignment, frame damage, and perhaps brightness/contrast consistency, may have been most notably improved (over an original release print, not surviving elements, which may have deteriorated) with the digital work seen here, and with those improvements apparent color detail should improve as well. An A/B of this title and The Garden of Allah, a title Rob discusses above and I mentioned on the previous page, might yield very interesting info for casual viewers on just what early 3-Strip Technicolor could offer in terms of color depth/intensity (unless it can be established that TGoA has been "re-colored," which seems unlikely given Rob's preservation/restoration print experience, courtesy of Scott MacQueen), and my original suggestion that the new digital work has changed any real values of color intensity may very well be wrong. DeeF also offers an interesting story regarding a costume designer above.

Lobby cards and posters are an accurate and reliable record of vintage advertising, but should not be construed as necessarily related in any meaningful way to release prints.

Let's see ... that's two paragraphs, six sentences in total. Not 10 paragraphs. I can get it down to 10 words, though, but for evidence and discussion one must reference the earlier posts:

Technicolor prints may have offered these colors from the beginning.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Think what would happen if someone restoring The Battle of Shaker Heights tried to match the color timing to its poster.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Roger, I saw a little of the broadcast too, and I agree: it seemed that the broadcast was from an older version of the film, and the documentary (which is on the DVD) contains snips of this new version. Why would that be so? Why didn't they show this new version for the broadcast?

Bill, you may not know this so I'm not going to be critical, I'm just going to supply the information:

Natalie Kalmus was not a costume designer.

She was the ex-wife of Herbert Kalmus, the developer and copyright owner of Technicolor. In her divorce, Natalie got a title, Color Consultant, and she held on to it for dear life. She went on the shoots of every Technicolor film, and tried to tell the designers and lighting people how to do their jobs. She was escorted off the sets of a number of films, including this one.

She spent the rest of her life trying to make the divorce invalid (huh?)

The documentary about Technicolor on the disk outlines this whole story in detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks