What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... The Mel Brooks Collection (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Its always nice when something totally positive can offset the negative.

Shortly after I examined Capote, Fox's new Mel Brooks Collection arrived, and it immediately helped rid our office of the somber note left by Capote detritus.

I've always thought of Mr. Brooks as one of the funniest humans on earth, and this collection of his work, which I've previewed, checking each disc for quality reaffirms my thoughts. I now just need to find the time to re-visit each and every one of them.

There are a number of strange occurrences here. A number of the Fox logos look odd, but that may be Brooks humor. Hitchcock was known to mess about with logos. I don't recall those on the Brooks films from their original releases, but they must be as they were. I had simply never noticed it.

A sticker on the packaging announces: "Includes 5 HUGE HITS from Mel Brooks NEVER AVAILABLE BEFORE ON DVD! (We mean never!)

Of the eight films in the set, four are new to DVD.

And yes, this is funny.

High Anxiety, Robin Hood: Men in Tights, Silent Movie, and To Be or Not to Be.

Four others are re-issued or upgraded - all are in anamorphic widescreen.

Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles (on loan from WB), The Twelve Chairs, and History of the World: Part I.

Each of these films is beautifully transferred from the finest available elements, and each is worth the price of admission, which at street price works out to $8.75 per title.

The other thing that I like very much about this release, and which surprised me, is the packaging.

The eight films are each in their own clear slimpack, with double-sided cover. Each with its own interior bit of design.

Having looked forward to each new Mel Brooks film The Producers in 1968, this set allows me to not only bask in the glow of Mr. Brooks in-your-face humor, but also to dispose of laser discs and to be able to view these little comedic treasures in higher quality.

Just looking at the titles makes me smile.

The Mel Brooks Collection from Fox Home Video is of very high quality, has been thoughtfully produced by people at Fox who obviously love film, has been QC'd by a human, and...

Comes Extremely Highly Recommended!

If we were in November or December, this might well be the Christmas gift of the year.

RAH

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I'm getting my s**tload of dimes together to buy this right now! :D

Great to hear a final confirmation from a reliable source that HOTW and YF are anamorphic now. I cannot wait to get this set.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Those who are tardy to this thread do not get fruit cup.

- Steve

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Is the Blazing Saddles disc in this set in anyway an upgrade from the previous Warner Brothers DVD?

Will Ryan

Agent
++++The Mel Brooks Collection from Fox Home Video is of very high quality, has been thoughtfully produced by people at Fox who obviously love film, has been QC's by a human, and...+++++

Spoken like a good Fox employee

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I'm sold! Time to do a price search, I love "Silent Movie" and really want an Anamorphic "Yng Frankenstein."

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I want two of these I don't own, and already own 3 of the others, so whether they are improved transfers will be a deciding factor in whether I spring for this or wait for the individual titles later.

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I'll be wating EVEN LONGER for Robin Hood Men In Tights to be released individually. That's the only one I care about.

Jon Baker

Second Unit
So each disc is in its own slimline keepcase? Are the covers going to feature the original poster art?

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Robert, glad to hear this news. I wish they had released these separately, but of course they want to sell the sets first. I have been eagerly awaiting Silent Movie, which I think was one of Mel's best, and I love the John Morris musical score. Also, it will be nice to own High Anxiety.

The only problem I have with buying so many movies now (which I cut way down on) is the possibility of spending again on High Def. After VHS, laseridsc and dvd, I am tired of buying the same movies.

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Can't wait to pick this up. I hadn't bought the newer Blazing Saddles yet because I read it would be in this box set.

Steve, I slid in under the tag, so I get fruit cup! :)

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Larry-

It looks like all the extras are carried over from the old letterboxed DVD- I read the specs at Amazon yesterday.

Unfortunately the commentary from the Robin Hood: Men In
Tights laserdisc isn't on the new DVD though.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
I didn't think Brooks was big on commentaries anyway. He actually makes fun of the people who listen to them on the new "Spaceballs" DVD.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
[rant]What in the wide, wide world of sports is a-goin' on here? [/rant]

Taggart: I got it! I got it!

Hedley Lamarr: You do?

Taggart: We'll work up a "Number 6" on 'em.

Hedley Lamarr: "Number 6"? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that one.

Taggart: Well, that's where we go a-ridin' into town, a whampin' and whompin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except the women folks of course.

Hedley Lamarr: You spare the women?

Taggart: NAW. We rape the shit out of them at the Number 6 Dance later on.

Hedley Lamarr: Marvelous.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks